Windows 10 Anniversary Update Black Loading Screen

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by AmyGrrl, Aug 2, 2016.

1. AmyGrrl

AmyGrrl MDL Novice

Dec 18, 2009
    #1 AmyGrrl, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    Doing the official update process through windows update. Where you click more info and it brings you to a page to download the update program. The program downloads and verifies the update and gets ready to install. It reboots and brings up a blue update screen. At about 30% it reboots. Then goes to about 75% and reboots again. Now its just been sitting at a black loading screen with spining circle. Its been at this screen for over an hour. I'm worried something is wrong. Is this normal. Should I just wait or power off and try to troubleshoot.

I should note I am doing this on a Acer Laptop.

2. makin.ditch

makin.ditch MDL Member

Feb 23, 2014
    I've had that happen on a couple PCs, I forced reboot and it either recovers and continues or else rolls back. If it rolls back I simply start again and it has finished successfully the second time every time so far....

3. AmyGrrl

AmyGrrl MDL Novice

Dec 18, 2009
    Thanks! I restarted the computer and it continued the install.

I was installing the update on a 2nd HP Laptop and it was stuck on a black loading screen. Rebooted the laptop and it went right back to same black screen. Rebooted again and its now restoring the previous windows 10 version.

At least the update when through on one of the laptops. Whill have to try it again on the HP Laptop.

4. AmyGrrl

AmyGrrl MDL Novice

Dec 18, 2009
    #4 AmyGrrl, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    (OP)
    Now the laptop that completed the update won't work. The update completed. Was at the Desktop. Everything was working. Rebooted the laptop and now I keep getting the same black loading screen. Grrrr. Ended up restoring the previous version of Windows 10 the laptop. Will do the update later and just do a clean install on both of them.