Windows 10 - any better than Windows 8.1 for games?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by MonarchX, Nov 7, 2014.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Any improvement in framerate? load times? whatever else that can be improved that gamers may be interested in? I know it will have newer DirectX and at the moment its neither stable nor suitable for worry-free gaming, but aside from all that - is it shaping up to be a great gaming OS???

I remember that in Windows Vista and 7, no matter how good my hardware was, I kept getting occasional stutter here and there. Once I switched to Windows 8.1, all of that disappeared and games played and still play 100% super-smooth! I wonder if Windows 10 at least preserves that great Windows 8.1 quality..?

2. WildByDesign

WildByDesign MDL Addicted

Sep 8, 2013
    At the moment it is right on par with Windows 8.1 so it definitely preserves that quality. Another year of development, though, and who knows. It could go either way. But since they are aiming for all device types, they will likely keep it as lightweight as possible. And whenever it receives a new DirectX, it could get even more interesting.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pjoter

pjoter MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2014
    >And whenever it receives a new DirectX

Not whenever, certainly! From the DirectX Developer Blog itself:

"The final version of Windows 10 will ship with DirectX 12, and we think it's going to be awesome."

4. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Exactly my understanding of Windows 10. The information and videos on DirectX 12 test have shown it to be superb when compared to DirectX 11. The graphic is exceptional to say the least.

5. mtrai

mtrai MDL Addicted

Apr 24, 2008
    Correct me if I am wrong...but don't the game developers have to support DX12 for it to matter. Also correct me if I am wrong but the early demos of DX12 have been things highly optimized for DX12. And lastly I might be wrong..but there is still not a lot of gaming support with dx11.

With all that said my games run just as well on Win 10 TP as they did in in Win 8(1)

6. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    No problems with games yet build 9860

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. germanhess

germanhess MDL Member

May 26, 2012
    #7 germanhess, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    I canĀ“t play call of duty advanced warfare, in my laptop can hear sounds and videos only but not image in game ( black screen )

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #8 Yen, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    Come on guys. DirectX is not the only standard...
    GPU performance comes with hardware and game developers who support the hardware (standard). (for instance AMD Mantle support)
    DirectX has been abused to make people switch to a new OS Vista (directx9-->Directx10) and directx10 was a joke.

I expect nothing else with directX12.
    If one wants more power, one buys a new GPU and does not upgrade the OS to run a higher integer version no. of DX....:)

9. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    I can only say that i agree with your point of view :)

10. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    My 8 Year old Can't play Minecraft with a Radeon HD 4200 in Win TP. :(

11. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    Do you have AMD's driver installed?

Ideally, you should get it from AMD's site, and not Windows Update.

12. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    You have to keep in mind that Windows 10 is a technical preview, it's not a release candidate or anything. Although the drivers may work on Windows 10, there are no optimised drivers for Windows 10, nor are the display drivers based on the new driver model where you may see performance improvements (as a result of the new driver model) or have DirectX 11.3/DirectX 12 support. The same goes with the rest of the drivers on the system.

The purpose of the technical preview is to have widespread testing to speed the development process, it's why the use of the system is 'tracked' and there is a higher level of reporting relating to detected issues. If you want to use it for better performance in games alone, I would suggest you currently give it a miss until at least the release candidate is released, by which time there should be at least preview drivers available for it. Even then, as a mainstream OS the final install will be the one to consider.

13. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I am not in the right position to correct you though. My little understanding is that DirectX 12 will be compatible with previous DirectX different versions. In other words, if you are running a game optimized for previous version you wouldn't need to download it for the games to run on your system.

Windows 10 seems to perform better on games-play than Windows 8.1 from my observation with Asphalt 8 Airborne.

14. thevibe

thevibe MDL Junior Member

Dec 17, 2008
    #14 thevibe, Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
    not necessarily true for all devices... currently, with these development builds, drivers for certain GPU's are in beta (so performance isnt as good as how the game used to run on Windows 8 where everything's as good as it gets)... there may also be bugs that prevent u from taking full advantage of your device's optimum capabilities... for instance, i had tried both the builds of Windows 10 launched till now, on my Razer Blade which comes with switchable graphics from Nvidia GeForce 870M (which is the main GPU) and Intel HD 4600 graphics (for non-gpu intensive graphic requirements)... the system is designed to use Intel HD 4600 when u normally browse the internet or do normal activities, and is supposed to automatically switch over graphic rendering to Nvidia whenever a game or other other app that requires higher processing of graphics, is launched. It works amazingly on Windows 8.1, but with both Windows 10 builds, the handover does not happen per se, and everything is run on Intel HD graphics, although the nVidia card is detected and all revelant drivers and softwares installed. Even if u force-set properties of a game or an app to use Nvidia GPU, it still does not work. There are a few work arounds like installing an older version of Intel graphic drivers while keeping the nvidia drivers upto date, but even that does not work with all games/apps... I am back on Windows 8.1 (tried dual booting for a while, but later removed the partition coz i only have 256GB SSD on this laptop, and i dont want to lose the little space i have available for my music n data)... i'll try windows 10 again when the next build is out.

Also, I was thinking of updating the perfectly working 8.1 installation to windows 10 next time as opposed to fresh install.. As the drivers are already installed and working perfectly right now on my current 8.1 installation, maybe the status quo will prevail on my 10 installation and i'll get to play NFS Rivals on 10 too using the Nvidia card... Intel graphics is extremely basic and having to play games on 1600x900, let alone the native 3200x1800 resolution is just unbearable... even the loading screen lags... reminds me of my youngers days when i had to run windows 98 on a 486 machine with 66Ghz processor, 4MB RAM and 16GB hard disk space.... lol

the only reason i havent tried that yet is coz if that too does not work, then i'll have to install windows 8.1 again and set everything up again from scratch for the nth time.

15. mtrai

mtrai MDL Addicted

Apr 24, 2008
    #15 mtrai, Nov 8, 2014
    DX has always been backward compatible, however DX12 is a new beast with low level API interaction same with the hardware. Also your GPU will have to support this low level hardware API interactions the same as AMD mantle. The backwards compatible part has only allowed you to use what ever features the games current DX supports. So just because you have DX 12 on your system, it will do nothing for a game that only supports DX 11.

In my example I have mantle enabled GPUs which does me no good unless the game engine itself was designed to take advantage of Mantle.

16. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    #16 Hadron-Curious, Nov 8, 2014
    I think you have good points there. Those depend largely on your system and GPU makers. A system with dedicated graphics needs drivers(for a high specs like your Blazer) to be forestalled first before you can enjoy the performance when playing games on it. In your case the work-around seems not be satisfactory to you and that seems to be one of the reasons why you have to go back to previous Windows 8.1 where your games work perfectly well. If not, I would have suggested you run the driver meant for your Nvidia on compatibility mode and see how the games respond to the OS.

Nevertheless, I completely agree with your view, Windows 10 Preview Build being an OS undergoing test, there will be problems for those who have systems which depend largely on the makers and third party drivers to function. That cannot be blamed fully on the OS, if I am correct. For those games that are able to run on Windows 10 run seamlessly when compared to previous Windows version. That is what I am trying to get across whenever I talked about gaming in build 9860 release.

17. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Does it necessarily mean the low-level API interaction process must be supported by a system before it can utilized it fully? I think that low-level API is for possible utilization by low hardware configuration. I don't think it has anything to do with GPU support in a nutshell. It is more or less a way to make minimum hardware utilize the DirectX 12 as one would expect from a high-end hardware. I stand correct if at the end this is all about optimizing hardware to minimum specifications only, which, not all systems are going to support.

18. mtrai

mtrai MDL Addicted

Apr 24, 2008
    Essentially there is another hardware abstraction layer between the CPU cores and GPU cores...Mantle was made to eliminate this layer, which is forcing MS to follow suit in DX 12. Game programs will able to communicate directly with the GPU hardware but there are hardware and software requirements for all this to happen so not all hardware is able to support the low level API instructions. While all this is a good thing, as it is what consoles use. THis begs the question and answers why a lot of console ports even though programmed on PCs are not great. Consoles use this already.

What this means for us PC gamers is that EVENTUALLY we will get better ports, but also better games, as the game program will be able to do more with less overhead, however you have consider the development cycles of gaming engines (2 to 5 years). So I predict for the most part will take a couple of years for the most part to catch up. This is something developers have been wanting for a long time. My opinion again is AMD is forcing the issue since they control both XBOX One and PS4 hardware builds. Also my opinion is Mantle was ploy to force this on MS. Mantle has been offered as completely free and open source to any company who wants it.

And the addition to DX12 has MS working with AMD on this...can't remember the sources.