Windows 10 apps....

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by yobo, Oct 16, 2015.

1. yobo

yobo MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2013
    My employer's computer had a problem, either was a power surge, even with the surge protector, or the power supply simply died, but after replacing the power supply and then trying to start up after several blue screens (with various and sundry messages, to include the ole bad system configuration), well, finally got it to at least boot up. Problem then was that all the Windows 10 apps, so, calendar, mail, store, etc., were not operable. They show up in the start menu but are greyed out, and when you try to launch there's some message about the need to speak with my system administrator. Tried some online fix advice, but no joy. Then I went with the upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 10, but still no Windows 10 apps. They are once again in the start menu but still greyed out, and with that same message on attempted launch. Then I found a package that has the apps and related files, which led me to uninstall the Windows 10 apps, but when I try to reinstall them using the noted package and powershell, I get a dependency failure, here, some need for run time version 1.something or higher, except a run time app, 1.something, is included as part of the package, and that fails to install owing to newer/higher version of run time being already installed.

That said, anyone have any ideas other than a clean reinstall? Thanks in advance for whatever help you can provide.

2. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #2 Muerto, Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021

3. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    You can try a restore point, choosing one before the power surge.

4. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #4 Muerto, Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021

5. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    I prefer the insert media and upgrade - sounds much safer, and many times the Restore point is wiped out, or never set since it is OFF BY DEFAULT.
    and if the restore post was set then he should be have restored back when the boot problem started.
    simple and if you have a restore point it selects the last known GOOD every time..

rstrui.exe /offline:C:\Windows