Windows 10 - Automatic Repair - boots in 2nd cycle

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by sew333, Mar 5, 2016.

1. sew333

sew333 MDL Junior Member

Mar 5, 2016
    Hello.
    So last time after i change in my UEFI boot priority (but on past it working fine ) from :"UEFI USB KINGSTON" to "P1 SSD SAMSUNG EVO 250 GB" i am getting weird booting problem with Windows 10.

screen with bios:
    s8.postimg.org/7lqkyhl8l/03_140515103027.jpg

When starting Windows 10 boot loader starts by "preparing automatic repair" and diagnosing pc. Then after this i get screen with Your pc did not start correctly or Automatic Repair couldnt repair your pc . And when i click restart then Windows 10 boot fine. So i am needing 2 boots to boot properly to windows. Event viewer showing that system was not closed properly, but it was closed properly.

My disk is on MBR partirion. Is this related to my UEFI/Partitions?

Somebody said to me this:"UEFI booting requires a GPT disk. This is why Windows has to fix itself and only boots in 2nd cycle - as you keep trying to boot UEFI to an MBR disk."

Also i know that UEFI firmware can emulate BIOS functionality (CSM/Legacy) and work with MBR disks just fine. Or i am wrong? And cause is elsewhere?

I am a little confused. Thx for reply. My ssd Samsung Evo 250 GB , rams 2x8gb DDR3 Kingston Hyperx 1600mhz.

2. Stewox

Stewox MDL Junior Member

Nov 22, 2013
    #2 Stewox, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    I have Asus P9X79 with CSM enabled with priority on Legacy, secure boot disabled. I've installed Win10 twice but I forgot some details.

UEFI booting of Windows installer is ofcourse depnding if it supports it - booting it, I'm certain when you boot Win10 from MBR or any other OS you're not running it through UEFI-boot.

I also think USB3 worked faster when booting from UEFI however don't hold me word for it it may just work as good in non-uefi boot, maybe uefi booting doesn't work on MBR disk install.
    I don't know, one of them didn't work or maybe it was because of the installer one time, and I had a buch of stuff that was Live-From-USB and wouldn't work with UEFI-boot.

When I say "UEFI-boot" i don't mean any configs, it's just a selection from the boot menu, usually USB devices show 2 options, one is UEFI and one non-uefi. But you don't suppose to have that with SATA.

Now you said you just changed priority, didn't you did somethign else, too little info to know, I'm not even sure what's wrong cause it doesn't look a clear cut, probably some weirdness from MS , or a Mobo bug.
    You'd have to post the full bios config for anyone to get an idea what we're dealing with.

Did you delete the installer from the USB? Also if your Win10 detects other OS it starts doing some repair stuff.

I just don't have much to say, this probably isn't going to help. Did you disable Secure Boot. You need to configure Bios properly before you install anything.

EDIT: Do you have sata configured as AHCI ?

3. sew333

sew333 MDL Junior Member

Mar 5, 2016
    #3 sew333, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    (OP)
    So my UEFI settings are default, i not changing anything despite of boot priority. Windows 10 was installed due to MBR partition format, so i guess through automacially legacy.Yeah i dont change anything in UEFI still. Primary boot was P1 SSD SAMSUNG EVO 250 GB and all was working fine and properly booting.
    Problem started after i change ( switch ) in my UEFI, boot priority from :"UEFI USB KINGSTON" to again "P1 SSD SAMSUNG EVO 250 GB ( MBR partition )".
    When starting Windows 10 boot loader starts by "preparing automatic repair" and diagnosing pc. Then after this i get screen with Your pc did not start correctly or Automatic Repair couldnt repair your pc . And when i click restart then Windows 10 boot fine. So i am needing 2 boots to boot properly to windows. He must reboots twice and then get's through. Event viewer showing that system was not closed properly.

So i need help. Where is the issue, hardware, software/bios issue?

Maybe something with UEFI and boot of my SSD which is MBR? Or that doesnt matter?

RAM tested 19 hours in memtest - 0 errors, HD TUNE 0 errors. So i think ram and SDD is fine. Also what is your opinion?

My disk have 1 partition, and installed only Windows 10 .

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  5. sew333

sew333 MDL Junior Member

Mar 5, 2016
    What you think issue is software/bios related or hardware?

6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    bios.. enable legacy with efi might help.
    check ram too

7. sew333

sew333 MDL Junior Member

Mar 5, 2016
    ram checked in memtest86 and on 19 hours no 0 errors.

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #8 LatinMcG, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    chkdsk done ?
    sfc done ?
    disabled quick boot in win and bios ?

diskpart convert to gpt ?

disable automatic reboot on fail.. use bluescreenview from nirsoft to see the .sys files in question

9. sew333

sew333 MDL Junior Member

Mar 5, 2016
    So i formatted disk this time to GPT , install again Windows 10 , now Windows booting fine without automatic repair.
    To reproduce issue tried switching few times between UEFI USB KINGSTON to P1:Samsung Evo 250 GB BOOT MANAGER and no automatic repair.
    But i want to know why it happened earlier just before format? That was still hardware issue? Thx for opinion. Like i said after format is ok. But i want to know why it happened before format. What caused this ,software ,hardware?

10. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    i think it was confused with MBR and EFI.. if u would have done convert to gpt it might have worked.. or the hibernate file was misconfigured for fastboot.

11. sew333

sew333 MDL Junior Member

Mar 5, 2016
    #11 sew333, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    (OP)
    Yes with GPT working fine no problems. Before format i get partition with MBR. So propably MBR get corrupted or something with UEFI and MBR boot conflict?