Windows 10 boot SLOW!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Patrykvdmeulen, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Patrykvdmeulen

Patrykvdmeulen MDL Junior Member

Apr 27, 2011
    I'm back to 8.1:biggrin:

Windows 10 boots verry verry slow and buggy compare to 8/8.1

Its not fluid as 8/81 had.

And there is NO FIX for this until Microsoft makes this better.

I dont know whats make w10 boot slowo_O

mayby the kernel? defender? a service?:g:

2. beBoss

beBoss MDL Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Nope, it's booting very, very fast, maybe the problem is in your PC, or just it's your fault of bad updating/upgrading/installing or using the pc and windows!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Sakuya

Sakuya MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    I find that upgrading from an old bloated installation results in high HDD activity, but a clean format and install on the same computer does not.
    I've yet to figure out what's causing it.
    This is especially noticeable on old hardware with drives lingering in the 60MB/s read/write range.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Evides

Evides MDL Member

Apr 6, 2014
    #4 Evides, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    I'm sure it's not Windows 10 related, my desktop now boots up in half the time... :clap:
    And it's not even a clean install but an upgrade from W8.1

5. embasie

embasie MDL Novice

Feb 14, 2013
    Look into your motherboard BIOS. Even if you don't have SSD or you're using single HDD, make sure to enable Intel RST. That's it!

6. KrAzY

KrAzY MDL Novice

Mar 6, 2010
    I noticed windows 10 boot slower then snot when i installed it on a hdd upgraded from windows 7. I couldn't understand how anyone could think it was fast until i gave it another try on a ssd and now it boots up to desktop in 3-4 seconds. However on a ssd with windows 7 before i upgraded booted up just as fast so lol i dunno if 10 is actually any faster booting then 7 but both boot fast on ssd that's for sure.

7. thorin0815

thorin0815 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    My 7 boots also a lot faster then 10 with the same autostart programs.

8. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    I can't really say Windows 10 boots slowly, but it does boot inconsistently compared to Windows 8.1.

There are times it boots just as quickly as Windows 8.1, where I see the BOIS splash screen for about two seconds, a black screen for another two seconds or so, and and then the login screen appears. If I swipe my finger on the fingerprint scanner at just the right moment, I'm on the desktop in another 2-3 seconds. So if I'm paying attention and things go right, the overall boot time is about 7-10 seconds from pushing the power button to arriving on the desktop. BTW - this is with a conventional Hitachi hard drive, not a SSD!

There are other times I see this: The BIOS splash screen for two seconds, the black screen for two seconds, and then a blue screen appears with Microsoft's spinning balls. This blue screen is where I see a delay that lasts anywhere from 15-25 seconds, then a second black screen appears for a few seconds, then the login screen finally appears. This has nothing to do with rebooting after Windows updates are installed, it just happens at random. And sometimes during this delayed boot I get an added bonus as well: my wi-fi adapter does not come on and the indicator light remains red.

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers for both the wi-fi adapter and it's on/off button (the F12 key) and the problem goes away for a while only to reappear at a later date during another delayed boot. I'm guessing that maybe Windows 10 is installing different drivers when I'm not looking, but I'm going to have to take some notes and visit the Device Manager on a regular basis in order to verify that this is actually the case.

9. Tuinpad

Tuinpad MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2015
    I also had a black screen delay at startup. If you go to settings/ privacy and turn all the sliders you can find off. Then you have a fast start up.
    This works on my Desktop and Laptop.

10. cyberloner

cyberloner MDL Member

Sep 19, 2009
    what about amd? .. ssd boot damn fast... normal ide will slow for sure.... try many pc here. even laptop win 10 is damn slow...:biggrin:

11. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Just so you know. There's no such option as RST, the option would be listed as "RAID", and you can't enable it unless you use it for most all systems. I think you are talking about AHCI over IDE in storage settings.

Also RST is not a SSD bound soft, RST is for drives, whether it be SSD or HDD.

If you have a RST option, can you post a link to your BIOS/UEFI so I can extract the BIOS firmware's and have a look.

12. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
  13. Wulung

Wulung MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2010
    Did you install Daemon Tool+SPTD driver?
    I have installed it before and it makes the boot much slower than Win8.1. Also, the SPTD driver causing premature shutdown during boot process.
    If you have it now, uninstall it. Ensure that SPTD uninstall completely, you need the latest SPTD installer then select uninstall.

14. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
  15. embasie

embasie MDL Novice

Feb 14, 2013
    My BIOS firmware: ASRock B85M Pro3 (Looks like I can't post any link due to being new).

Note: I didn't install any Windows driver for the RST. I just needed to enable it in the BIOS. If I don't enable it, the Win10 freezes every few minutes because it keeps reading the HDD.

16. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    I love that Intel RST on a AMD :) :)