Windows 10 can't be spying on you !!!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Buckie, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Buckie

Buckie MDL Junior Member

Nov 27, 2012
    :eek: Microsoft have put a great deal of effort into making 10 the thing Everyone can't do without, even the babies on the TV ads ? So why, after 8 was such a massive flop, would anyone want to take on 10 if as you say "It's spying on you ?" Also 10 is relying heavily on Industry taking this on too, it just doesn't make any sense to me what so ever !

After all, Ms may be offering you a free copy but you are paying for it in the next year or so as all we are doing is beta testing it before it's released to manufacture to OEMs, Retail, and Industry .... I however don't mind getting updates all the time, but sooner or later a more stable edition will emerge to go public...

If it is shown that Ms are in fact spying on you, 10 will fail quicker than 8 did....:worthy::worthy::worthy:

2. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jhonsnow

jhonsnow MDL Novice

Apr 5, 2015
    what nonsense, they are collecting data and based on the terms they said they scan your personal files so yes they ARE spying. I don't understand why people can't read or understand, the free license is NOT ONLY FOR A YEAR but rather for the LIFE of your hardware. M$ gives you 1 year to upgrade for free and if you don't upgrade by July 2016 they will start charging people but for people that upgraded the OS will continue to run for FREE. This is a promo to upgrade all windows 7/8/8.1 users to windows 10, because they want you on the new OS so you use M$ services and they can track you just like Google.

4. Buckie

Buckie MDL Junior Member

Nov 27, 2012
    So I guess your saying is... Windows 10 will fail ? ....and quicker than windows 8 as if this is the case, it'll fail before it's really released !:mad:

5. sunberg

sunberg MDL Junior Member

Aug 16, 2015
    Read EULA without preconceptions, compare with other "sw giants" and make your own opinion about it. It seems that's the only way to stay sane :D

6. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    perhaps it will ...

hardwarebound licensing
    excessive user-tracking for ads
    ads in modernUI apps
    no aero-glass
    senseless immersive panel
    defender observing software
    slower than windows 7/8/8.1
    less control about updates
    bitlocker cert saved to onedrive
    still no uefi (fde) encryption
    certificate pinning disabled
    no mediacenter / dvd player

.... and most likely a lot more to come out soon ....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Well, they are. They're collecting telemetry for every program or Windows App you run.
    Most people will simply have no idea how to disable it.
    This is why we were up in arms during the insider preview.

The strange thing is that they didn't need to do it at all.
    The old method of reporting errors manually worked fine.
    There was no need to invade anyone's privacy by snooping on the programs they run.

8. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Just because an OS connects to the internet does not mean it is spying. Has anyone ever though about what would happen if the apps did not connect to the internet, and relay information back and forth? They would be useless and boring. Imagine clicking on the Weather app, and only getting a blank screen. Where is the fun in that? Personally, I enjoy all the effort Microsoft has put into having this OS constantly in communication with the cloud. Microsoft is not spying on us! Microsoft has put a lot of time into making Windows 10 operate seamlessly with cloud resources, and the people who do not like it should just get over it because it is not going away.

9. Buckie

Buckie MDL Junior Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Murphy78 that's the point I'm making.... They don't have to do it ! By the sounds of it they are, or at least they have the written intention to if they want to. What Ms will not want is a mass spread in all PC mags that windows 1 is spying on you, as that will put off a lot of people who don't know any better.
    Windows 8.1 with upgrade was only a bad update to 8, so the point of my post was not really asking if Ms IS spying on you, it's Why would they jeopardise or make Windows 10 like windows 8 ? Just crazy if they do....

10. jhonsnow

jhonsnow MDL Novice

Apr 5, 2015
    Well you need to allow somethings such as location if you want maps or weather apps to work, camera/microphone if you want to use skype. That is fine the real issue is why are they scanning personal files or logging your key strokes.

11. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    It's not so much that they connect. A lot of them are using MS servers. They could easily send meta-data with their version check as well.
    In the U.S. it's not as big of a deal. If you don't live here, though, well.. enjoy the NSA looking over your goodies.

12. Energia

Energia MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    Skynet is not only a movie...

theverge.com/2015/5/9/8577515/nsa-skynet-program-is-real

All big IT companies are financiated by CIA/NSA and blacks funds... if you believe that these big companies are in contrast between them you are naives....

s2.postimg.org/rp06lol9z/Schermata_2015_08_16_alle_19_05_32.png

13. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    I'm pretty sure that's why they've pre-loaded the free upgrade and given the offer.
    If you want people to tolerate negative things, you have to balance them out with positive things.

I do feel a lot better after doing my snooping with wireshark and seeing which settings did what.
    If I lived in any other country I'd probably just use LTSB and disable telemetry/app toast.
    When you do that, it's basically like win7. It still has a buggy start menu thing where it pings bing.com,
    but you could probably block that if you were really paranoid.

14. blunden

blunden MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2009
    Only for the free upgrade offer. Retail licenses you buy will be transferable just like before.
    As far as I know it's to improve their services, not for ads.
    I have yet to see an ad there. If it's in a Microsoft app I agree it shouldn't be there though.
    People who have been using modern Windows versions already ditched Aero Glass years ago. If you really need it, you can apparently enable it though. Translucent windows aren't exactly great for usability though.
    Wrong. Windows 10 is faster in most cases or sometimes tied with 8.1. That includes old hardware.
    I agree, that is bad. Thankfully you can get back some of the control via gpedit.msc and Microsofts update disabler.
    Yes, this is questionable behaviour.
    Are you sure?
    Where did they disable pinning?
    If you updated from a version that previously had Windows Media Center you get a DVD Player app. I guess they don't want to pay to license all those codecs for users who will never use them.

15. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    #15 nexus76, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  16. double_kill

double_kill MDL Member

Oct 10, 2011
    in a way i'm kinda tired of the whole "spying" threads.. we know its there and we know not to use it (or do, whatever) until someone fix/patches it...... o_O

17. chris34

chris34 MDL Member

Oct 28, 2009
    #17 chris34, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    index.jpg

That spying thing is starting to get old. I could understand back when Windows XP was released with people crying about the new user experience thing, saying it was Microsoft spy software. But now, with most of those complaining about the spy thing use Facebook, which is worse by a factor of at least 10, or smartphones running on IOS or Android that do pretty much the same... I don't get it.

18. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Really to much talk about spyware, more talk here than China:D

19. AzTec

AzTec MDL Member

Aug 4, 2009
  20. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009