Windows 10, Change Where New Content Is Saved

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by syga, Mar 19, 2018.

1. syga

syga MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2010
    Good day,

I have a windows 10 question that I hope someone can answer. I tried the search function but did not find anything.

I did a complete reinstall of Windows 10 pro to 1709.

When I go to settings> system> storage> change where new content is saved, I am choosing a second hard drive.
    New folders are created (documents, music, pictures, video) in the second hard drive but the folders are empty. Seems like nothing is written to them.

Is it supposed to work this way? Or am I missing something?

Thanks.

2. joluboga

joluboga MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    That's not how it's done. You have to go to the "users" folder, open your user sub-folder and you'll see all of the "Documents", "Downloads", "Desktop", etc. sub-folders. Right-click on each one of them and go to Properties. Select "Ubication" and in there, you'll be able to change the default ubication of that specific folder. Repeat the steps for every one of the subfolders that you're interested in.

3. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Or you can just select all folders (except the hidden ones) and cut and paste them on the new location. It should automatically change the location of those folders for that specific user.

4. joluboga

joluboga MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Nice trick! I never thought about doing it like that xD

5. yomoma2

yomoma2 MDL Senior Member

Feb 27, 2010
    I've always assumed that would be messy! Sometimes even when changing location in properties, the indexing folders aren't correctly updated.

6. syga

syga MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2010
    Thanks, thats what I ended up doing and it works.

But, if that works, then what is this supposed to do in Windows 10? Settings> system> storage> change where new content is saved

7. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
    That option is only valid for UWP applications (apps from the microsoft store).