Windows 10 changing time and date in Bios?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by W3rn3r, Apr 15, 2016.

1. W3rn3r

W3rn3r MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2015
    Hi, hope someone can help with this, ever since upgrading to Windows 10 my time and date changes, only happened 2-3 times since the last 2 or so months. when checking the bios i could see it did change, i did not bother with a new cmos battery cause i don't believe it's the battery as my motherboard is still new and a failed cmos battery would give the "press F1 button to continue prompt" I get the feeling that every time i go online this happens, my region and language is set at default, United States even though i live outside the US, only the timezone is set at my location, could it be that windows sees that I'm not in the US and then the time/date gets messed up? and can windows change my Bios date/time? really weird. Should i rather set my location to my country? :g:

2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Yes you should.

3. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    No, the "location" setting has no relation to the time. Just make sure the system time and time zone are set correctly.
    Don't know why it would be changing your RTC time though.

4. potjevleesch

potjevleesch MDL Addicted

Aug 7, 2010
    You may have to change the mobo battery, when it gets weak it can cause such discrepancies.

5. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    CMOS battery is possibly dying out or carrying little charge. It is time for you to replace it.

6. W3rn3r

W3rn3r MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2015
    Thanx for the replies, appreciate it, just weird that this started to happen since using windows 10, my location and timezone settings is the same as it was in windows 7 and never had an issue with that, my timezone is set at (UTC+02:00) Harare, Pretoria which i always used with previous OS's, I've decided not to go online again just to make sure it's not an issue with windows itself. If it still happens i will replace the battery, bought the MOBO last year, kinda hard to believe it's the battery, as it's only the time/date that changes, and i could also try to disable the setting under internet time preventing windows not to automatically synchronize with time.windows.com

7. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    I think that the question isn't well put.

Oviously windows changes the date/time in bios, even the DOS did so.

What modern windows does is to change it even if not connected to internet when the date becomes not so obvious.

Just set your bios to 1980 or so, start windows 10 and you'll see that the date will be put again to the current year, during the boot phase, even if the PC isn't connected to the internet.

Hence the question is why windows changes the time, not why it changes the date in bios.

8. maddog0266

maddog0266 MDL Expert

Apr 26, 2011
    Windows always interacts with your BIOS. Always has.
    If you set it to far back Windows will see that and you will have a error on boot.
    The next time you boot it may set to right time.

9. Engineer2k2

Engineer2k2 MDL Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Seems Windows 10 synchronizes time with the zone settings - check if the time displayed matches with time zone you have selected? :cool:

10. W3rn3r

W3rn3r MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2015
    "Oviously windows changes the date/time in bios, even the DOS did so" Really? Time is set based on the date/time in bios, if bios time/date is not correct time/date in windows would also be in incorrect.

@Engineer2k2: it does indeed match, like i said my time zone is set correct, just my location set at default US etc. i think windows 10 gets confused by my settings and changes it. hasn't happened again since Tuesday cause i haven't been online since then, just gonna stay offline for some time to test properly.

11. ifly22

ifly22 MDL Novice

May 26, 2015
    Windows Time Service - Maintains date and time synchronization on all clients and servers in the network. If this service is stopped, date and time synchronization will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start. (Microsoft’s server by default (“time.windows.com”)) Now with windows 10, maybe even some apps do similar, i do not know for sure, but Windows Time service is in xp - 10 iirc.

12. Engineer2k2

Engineer2k2 MDL Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Next time whenever you go online and if the time gets changed DO Check the zone your time changes to.

13. W3rn3r

W3rn3r MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2015
    The last time i noticed it the date was 4/12/2016 and time 17:01 PM, but the actual date/time was 4/14/2016 and 12:01AM, this is the first time anything like this happened to me, i always install OS'es at default, which is location United States and language English US, i only set the timezone to where i live.

14. thomasdarius1606

thomasdarius1606 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2016
    I think the battery of your motherboard may be exhausted , you should change the battery.

15. W3rn3r

W3rn3r MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2015
    Nope, it's not the battery, if it was, my bios settings would reset at every boot as well and it would happen everyday, it's windows 10

16. cocotus.interruptus

cocotus.interruptus MDL Junior Member

Sep 8, 2014
    No idea what this thread is about. With Windows, your BIOS time needs to be the local time, period. No UTC, plus never seen any timezones settings in BIOS either.

17. W3rn3r

W3rn3r MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2015
    It's a problem with windows 10 getting confused with my location i think, my timezone is set properly, I've always installed all my OS's this way, location and language at default which is US/US, i only change the timezone to the nearest location of my country, anyway i turned off "set time automatically" in the settings app, that should solve the issue.. obviously