Windows 10 colored title bars for all open windows, not just the active one

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by kickmic, Nov 28, 2015.

1. kickmic

kickmic MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2013
    Hi

Should the new feature for coloring a title bar (TH2) apply to all windows or just the active one?

Only the active window will color for me, the remaining are white. Using a multi monitor set up with numerous open windows with dark backgrounds makes the white title bars really distracting as they stand out.

I even tried a new clean install of TH2 and that didn't make any difference

Any solutions which don't involve 3rd party apps to make the change?

Thanks in advance

2. bigmuscle

bigmuscle MDL Junior Member

Jan 23, 2013
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM
    DWORD AccentColorInactive (format is 0x00BBGGRR)

3. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    #3 cuteee, Nov 28, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    Thank you for the tip, but it only changed to green when it inactive and not to accent color.

So I find temporary solution : give to "AccentColorInactive" the value of "AccentColor".

4. kickmic

kickmic MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2013
    Thanks to both of you which enabled me to find a solution

So, in summary, for anyone who reads this and is looking for a solution as per my original post
    from the basic Windows theme, choose your preferred color from SETTINGS>PERSONALISATION>COLORS,
    now when you open the registry and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM DWORD AccentColor - you will have the correct DWORD 32 Bit value which corresponds to your preferred title bar color
    Add New DWORD (32 bit) Value and name it "AccentColorInactive" with Data value the same as AccentColor

5. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    Maybe someone can write script for this.

6. drew84

drew84 MDL Expert

Mar 13, 2014
    ... is only one option, the article also clearly points out how to obtain and insert any colour of your choosing
    (two colours allow you to differentiate between active and inactive windows... my preference.. not trying to step on any toes here, just providing options)

7. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    If you want to choose color you can find app from windows store. it's better than site.

8. drew84

drew84 MDL Expert

Mar 13, 2014