Windows 10 D-S-T-DEZABLER

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by RanCorX2, Jan 16, 2017.

1. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    #1 RanCorX2, Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  2. wazzock

wazzock MDL Senior Member

Oct 22, 2016
    my experience on w10 1607, disabling Task Scheduler service creates an unstable system.

a link to your batch files for use on a standard ms install would be handy please :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    think you misunderstand, batch file is for disabling individual tasks.

only ones I keep on are;

CertificateServicesClient and TextServicesFramework (needed for edge keyboard support) a few have to be disabled by the autoruns app that the batch can't do (because of permissions)

4. rpo

rpo MDL Expert

Jan 3, 2010
    A link to download your files would be appreciated.

5. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    Not discrediting the tool (it looks quite nice), but for every one that arrives, I find it amazing we deal with an operating system that needs these sort of tools to configure basic stuff :tea:

As for a distribution tip; I might suggest GitLab or GitHub for both the source code and binary releases.

6. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #6 PhaseDoubt, Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    Well, those of us who frequent this forum, and others like it, seem to me to be in the vast minority. Of all my computer using friends, clients and acquaintances, I and one other person do "basic configuring". I've been building computers since the relatively early days of the IBM type PC and the overwhelming majority of those people I've worked with over the years, just want it to start up , run and shut down reliably. All the tweaking and configuring is lost on them for the most part. They don't care to know the inner working of their cars, household appliances or computers. Just "make it work" is what I most often hear. They'd rather pay a tech every couple of years to clean the system up, or buy a new computer, that do configuring and such. And these users are the bread and butter of the computer and OS companies. People like us are often thorns in the side of companies like Microsoft.

7. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    I just don't understand why there couldn't be even-ground for both types of users (well, I do, but choice doesn't seem to be Microsoft's objective nowadays).

Some users may just want to hide the Search bar; they're free to do so in about 2 clicks (right-click task bar > hide Search). Some users want the entire Search service gone though, and this involves a 3rd-party tool to remove 3-4 different hidden packages on W10 (and needless to say, this is undocumented and could cause issues later on with updates). On W7, this was as simple as going under Programs and Features, and unchecking Windows Search.

That's a large part of why I like Linux. For casual use, users (on most friendly distros) won't have to even know what a Terminal is, and can web browse or use the Software Center to install what they want. But should I just want to set separate I/O schedulers on my HDD and SSD, and tell XFS to only write changes to disk every 2 1/2 minutes, I can do that too without 3rd-party tools, and with proper documentation.

8. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    [FONT=&quot]Oh I agree. But honestly, I've been preaching scanning, updating, safe surfing and etc. for years to very little avail. I’m no longer in the business like I was a very few years ago, but my experience is people just don’t do it or do configuration tweaks. Just yesterday, my daughter-in-law and my son drove 240 miles to have me install printer drivers for a Canon wireless printer. Neither she nor my son could connect. All I did was put the Canon disk in the optical drive and respond to the prompt to run the application. Worked the first time. I “upgraded” her Vista laptop to Windows 7 in 2013. With the exception of Avast, no anti malware had been updated since the upgrade.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]My brother-in-law needed help with a boatload of simple stuff; he lives a fair distance away too. I sent him a series of emails (which he got) giving him step-by-step directions to fix every one of his “problems”. He later called me saying my fixes didn’t work. After questioning him, he’d attempted 2 of 6 actions and stopped. I told him to do the other 4 and get back with me. That was three years ago and I haven’t heard from him since. His son is literally a rocket scientist (Masters degree in aerospace engineering) and can’t get him to do what needs to be done.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]And Linux is generally completely out of the question. I’ve had people ask where Windows was on the Linux systems I showed them. They had no clue what an OS was.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]This is way off topic so I’m closing out here.[/FONT]

9. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    ok, i'll investigate GitHub, I've never used it before, so not sure about it.

10. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    In my opinion you should not go to GitHub. You should keep control over your creations and only listen to others suggestions.

Those who insist on GitHub should go there and start their own new project and let to put myriads of hands on it.

11. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    now that I've done it, it does seem easier to manage on github then keep uploading to mediafire or another file host.

12. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Git hub is there purposely to have one good program as result of the cooperation instead of having a zillion of half baked apps, and a lot of wasted resources from a zillion of different coders.

13. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    I'm no particular fan of GitHub, but mostly anything is better than MediaFire :p

14. nicktorn

nicktorn MDL Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Even better idea, you could actually use Windows 10 on something other than your Grandmothers PC from 2005 and all of this legwork does absolutely nothing for actual performance of the system. :clap:

15. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    man, doesn't matter what site you visit, there's always a troll :rolleyes: if you got nothing to add, beat it.

16. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    And it's all up to the zillion coders to decide where they post their own stuff......

17. nicktorn

nicktorn MDL Member

Aug 24, 2012

I'm simply letting people know this is only good if you are using a computer that is barely Vista-ready. It's great that you are providing this service, but I fear a lot of ignorance will come of this, and people will think it will do anything at all for a modern computer on Windows 10...The answer is it won't. ;)

18. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    you've basically said 99% of the stuff on this forum is pointless then. fyi some users like to tinker, tweak, customize, optimize, does't matter what system they have or it's spec.
    you sound like you are on the wrong website.