Windows 10 Digital Licenses and MSA

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by x0pht, Mar 10, 2019.

1. x0pht

x0pht MDL Novice

Jan 27, 2010
    #1 x0pht, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Hello folks,

A long time lurker here. Firstly, just want to say that this awesome community has provided me with so much insightful knowledge of the activation methods & licenses of MS products and how they truly work, which is arguably one of the most "taboo" subjects that most on MS forums or tenforums don't want to talk about, which I do understand. So I really appreciate all of this.

Secondly, I do have two questions out of curiosity...

1. Isn't upgrading from Win7 OEM to Win10 supposed to give you Win10 OEM? I upgraded Win7 Ultimate with Daz loader, which used an OEM_SLP key, to WIn10 with Media Creation Tool, and I got the Win10 Pro Retail version. When I use showkeyplus, I can still see the original key was indeed OEM:SLP.

2. I assume you do not and cannot get a digital license if you activate Win10 with a VL key and a KMS server (please correct me if I'm wrong). In this case, does MS activation server still store your HWID? (I guess not, as essentially the activation server is the KMS now?) Can the device still be linked to an MSA? If it can, does it show up on MSA Devices page any differently than the regular DL'ed devices?

Thanks for any input and comment!

EDIT: one more question that I forgot to ask, most say a Win10 upgraded from Win7/8 will not allow you to transfer the DL from one computer to another (or only allows a one time transfer). How would MS activation server tell the difference between a completely new build and a computer that has had major hardware changes? Or is this just some story made up to discourage people from doing it? scratch that, it seems a new motherboard is considered as a new computer. but i guess the question is, is that statement true, assuming the DL is retail?

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    About 2.: AFAIK if you use a KMS activation you'll not receive an HWID which could be used for a to obtain a Digital License from Microsoft and I hardly believe that MS will store the HWID of that machine at all. To use that machine with an MSA, would be not any problem. And it will be shown on the Device listing of that MSA too (at least it does for one machine I use activated via a legal KMS Server).

About your Edit: As long as I (which may be the same to other humans using that specific way of activation) use legal (self-bought) Product Keys ( Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 8/8.1 Pro) and at least still one of the following Hardware (NIC/Graphic Card/Harddisk) I got Windows 10 re-activated by the change of the Mainboard by call (toll free) to the MS Activation Center. Please note, I use always PCI-Express NIC's and have the MB internal NIC disabled, and always use the 'old' Graphics Card at least until W10 is auto-activated after a new install on the new MB.

That all applies to machines I have in use or do service too. Others users may have different experiences.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. 3zero3

3zero3 MDL Senior Member

Apr 26, 2012
    But, You will get digital license if You upgrade (setup.exe) from Win8.1 Pro VL (KMS) to Win10 1511 Pro OEMRET.

4. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
  5. x0pht

x0pht MDL Novice

Jan 27, 2010
    Much appreciate the replies guys!

@pisthai, yeah that's what i thought. since the activation goes through a KMS server, either online or offline, MS activation server shouldn't be in the picture any more. Thanks for confirming the MSA device part.

@3zero3, yea if win7/8 VL is eligible for free win10 upgrade and the VL status is removed, I'd assume it'll obtain a DL as well, though I was specifically referring to clean win10 installation with VL activation. :)

@whitestar_999, thanks for the link. Read the first post and the last 5-6 pages. I see that you confirmed the transfer restrictions in that thread. It's good to know. I was actually sort of suspicious about all these restrictions, especially the OEM part, when I noticed my Win10 upgraded from Win7 OEM (Daz loader) turned out to be retail. I guess when you upgrade from a Win7 OEM to Win10, the OEM channel is converted to Retail. After you do a clean Win10 install and activate it via MSA, the record of having an OEM Win7 will be completely erased. The installation will work exactly the same as a Win10 upgraded from Win7/8 Retail, is that correct?

6. 3zero3

3zero3 MDL Senior Member

Apr 26, 2012
    #6 3zero3, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    I think, You do not understand. I am tellling You, how You can get digital license aka HWID from KMS.

Install Win8.1 Pro VL, activate with KMS_VL_ALL by abbodi1406 and make upgrade (setup.exe) with W10 1511 Pro OEMRET.

This solution never been official. Never. This is not "classical" upgrade. There is no "eligible".

7. x0pht

x0pht MDL Novice

Jan 27, 2010
    I understand what you were trying to say. All I was saying is that I didn't refer to upgrading from Win8 VL to WIn10 in my original post, I was wondering if any HWID would be sent to MS activation server when a clean Win10 was installed and activated by a KMS server. I mean, of course if you do an upgrade and it goes through, I would assume you will get a DL just like upgrading from other Win7/8 versions. The reason why I said "eligible" was because there's conflicting info about upgrading Win7/8 VL to Win10. If I remember correctly, MS officially said we couldn't do that, but again of course that doesn't necessarily mean it can't be done. Sorry for the confusion, appreciate the confirmation.

8. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    @x0pht yes,any free upgrade from win 7 practically acts as retail irrespective of its oem status.

9. update.freak

update.freak MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2015
    Which tool is recommended to activate Windows 10?
    • *******.kms38.gen.mk6
    • W10 Digital Activation 1.3.7
    • KMS_VL_ALL - Smart Activation Script 29

10. Sajjo

Sajjo MDL Member

Feb 6, 2018
    @update.freak
    You can use them all.
    Note:
    1. *******.kms38.gen.mk6 is not allowed to discuss on MDL
    2. W10 Digital Activation 1.3.7 by Ratiborus is not supported on MDL
    (I don't know details about this tool but I´m not surprised if this performs similar to *******.kms38.gen.mk6)
    3. KMS_VL_ALL - Smart Activation Script 29 - now v30 is developed and supported on MDL
    :)

11. Sajjo

Sajjo MDL Member

Feb 6, 2018
    @dukati
    You posted in wrong thread, anyhoo:
    Use KMS_VL_ALL the way you describe now to revert to normal KMS activation.
    I´m not a Windows 10 user so I cant answer to the question LTSC >> Enterprise
    Hence, posting in the thread I linked will give you better respons. Your svf files works btw.
    Check my answer.

12. dukati

dukati MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2019
    #13 dukati, Mar 24, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    @Sajjo unfortunatlly using the above procedure with KMS_VL_ALL.cmd and KMS38=0 didn't deactived my ltsc and I am not albe to use the windows key to upgrade to Entrprise because I still get the 0xc004f050 error when I do this.

13. Sajjo

Sajjo MDL Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Post debug log for KMS_VL_ALL in this thread
    Switch from Enterprise LTSC to Enterprise - any other questions use this thread

14. zaphod77

zaphod77 MDL Junior Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Free upgrades are supposed to keep the same license.

If you have oem windows 7 ultimate (even through Daz Loader) you get a free digital entitlement for windows 10 pro once you perform an in place upgrade. this is tied to the motherboard.

there is a new license transfer feature that has been added that can let you transfer this windows 10 to a new computer and deactivate it from the old one. this feature doesn't seem to care that it's supposed to be OEM, but cannot be used too often. Since this feature was put in, only oem keys preloaded into the bios seem to detect as OEM now (and are still untransferable i think). The free upgrade shows regardless, but you still have to use the license transfer feature (and associate your computer with a MS account) if you actually want to transfer the license. Whether you upgraded from retail or OEM. Before the license transfer featuer was added in, all free upgrades were effectively OEM. Now they are effectively retail.

Only non enterprise versions of windows are supposed to be eligible for that free upgrade.