Windows 10 & disk CRC errors

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by vze2mp9g, Sep 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Can anyone tell me how to get ride of hdd crc in Windows 10 64bit? When Windows 10 starts to boot, scandisk runs and it takes a little over an hour and doesn't fix the error. Is there a urility or program that can mark that section of the hdd out of service or unusable?
    Thanks..

2. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    Well, I suggest to swap hard drive and try clean install? or clone from so-so hard drive, to new hard drive and put new one, see that helps?

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Could be some Soft-Error on HDD!

I would use Drevitalize and/or HDD Regenerator for to check the HDD for error, which is done by that apps regardless of OS or whatsoever.

Unfortunately, both apps are Payware, just the Trials will give you the info about the condition of the HDD, and maybe just 'repair' a few errors out of totals. Drevitalize gives you more precise info as HDD Regenerator, special about Slow Sectors of the HDD!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. vuze4u

vuze4u MDL Member

Apr 24, 2010
    This thing about HDD Regenerator it marks badsectors but then it can't mark it all in some cases, because everytime a HDD power cycle it marks a new badsectors next to or nearby the marked ones on and on. So instead having usable sector next to the badsectors, why not put a sized quarantine? Just so the heads will never write data near the badsector region, let's say 100MB or 1GB buffer zone to insure written data never reach near the first and last of badsector areas.

I believe OP and i are looking for the same software, but i never found a capable one.

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Why didn't you contact the developer of HDD Regenerator and/or Drevitalize and talk with them. Maybe your idea is something for to consider, if possible?! If such could be possible, an option for the user for to design how many sectors 'around' the bad one should be 'marked' as unusable or so, would be something usable?!

Now, HDDRegenerator and Drevitalize are apps which working the way to mainly try to 'regenerate' bad sectors, instead of marking them bad! Sometimes a single run isn't enough and multiple runs would do the job! The use of such apps anyway is something that has to be taken with caution! Easy to do more bad than goods!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Use the official Manufacturer's RMA HDD test tool for verifying the disk's health first.

7. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
  8. vuze4u

vuze4u MDL Member

Apr 24, 2010
    I don't think my idea is what the dev want with their program, and i surely don't have the luxury to wait for months just to receive a reply that say "No" or no reply at all. I used HDD Regenerator straight for a week trying to "revitalize" the badsectors, even so it is so much faster just to mark that area as no go and move on, but like i said, after all the repairs are done, power cycle, rerun to confirm and it detects a few more badsectors, those time consuming repaired sectors can turn out to be bad again, so may take months to entirely map a region which gave me the idea why not just strike off that region in one go, really don't care about losing a few GBs. But that's just my instance of experience.

9. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    sounds like u mite need a new HD.

10. frepsz

frepsz MDL Junior Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Best thing you can do in this state is booting from a linux live iso and zero-filling/secure erasing each and every single sector of the hdd. Any broken sector will then be replaced with spare ones, as long as there are spare sectors still available. In that case the hdd will be fully functional and error-free, unless there are other issues with the drive too.

11. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    To the OP, it would help if you would tell the manufacturer and model of the hard drive. The manufacturer may have a free utility to test the drive and mark bad sectors and possibly tell you if the drive is dying, but I wouldn't know since I have no idea what drive you have.

12. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Okay, that would be very simple if I had a Desktop. I'm using a Toshiba Laptop (see my signature below). How easy would that be to replace the old one with a New HDD? I've never taken a laptop apart because this is the only computer I have right now. Thank everyone for their comments.

13. E_B_M

E_B_M MDL Member

Jan 16, 2012