Windows 10 ei.cfg / Support for multiple editions

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by kokosmann, Jul 31, 2015.

1. kokosmann

kokosmann MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    Hey guys,

I've been wondering if the ISOs of Windows 10 could be modified again to support installation of all versions similar to Windows 8 and Windows 7? In these prior versions you basically just got rid of ei.cfg and you then could install all the editions you wanted.

Right now I have the Pro versions of Win 10 in x86 and x64 and couldn't find an ei.cfg.

A multiple edition would save me quite a hassle.

Does somebody know more than I do?

2. alien2xx

alien2xx MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2009
    #2 alien2xx, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015

Attached Files:

3. kokosmann

kokosmann MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    Awesome, thank you!

Didn't know this tool was updated to support Windowes 10 already.

4. kokosmann

kokosmann MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    Unfortunately, this tool didn't work for me. It couldn't load in the install.wim.

Any other suggestions?

I tried my former Windows 8.1 ei.cfg and it didn't work either.

BTW: I dont need to merge the bit versions together. Basically, I just want an ISO in both x86 and x64 with all the editons to choose from.

5. alien2xx

alien2xx MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2009
    #5 alien2xx, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Dont know what to tell you, I just did it last night and it works great... all these versions are packed in a 4.8GB iso file and then i put it on a usb flash drive for faster installation.
    The ei.cfg file should contain the following:

Code:

[EditionID]

[Channel]
    Retail

[VL]

these are the steps I follow to create it:

This is what I did:

Images I used:
    en_windows_10_multiple_editions_x86_dvd_6848465.iso
    en_windows_10_multiple_editions_x64_dvd_6846432.iso
    en_windows_10_enterprise_x86_dvd_6851156.iso
    en_windows_10_enterprise_x64_dvd_6851151.iso
    en_windows_10_enterprise_2015_ltsb_x86_dvd_6848454.iso
    en_windows_10_enterprise_2015_ltsb_x64_dvd_6848446.iso

(In my case I deleted the Core versions from the multi version isos):

Create a EI.CFG file as mentioned above.

STEPS:
    _ Extract ISOS to their own folders inside a common (AIO) folder, lets say they all go inside the c:\AIO\...
    _ Add ‘EI.CFG’ file to the "en_windows_10_multiple_editions_x86_dvd_6848465.iso" to the already extracted iso (to \sources folder, ei.cfg is missing) - otherwise it will ask you for a key to install...
    _ DO NOT select the option "Enable x86 Recovery Mode" from the tool, it does not work on windows!!
    _ From the tool: Click on "Select WIMs" option and add from the each ‘sources’ extracted directory (always Start with a x86 version)
    _ As you add the WIMS just Select as needed or delete as needed ('Delete Images' option)
    _ Once all your WIMS from all the isos were added to the list, Click on “Save all Changes” and wait...
    _ Click on “Save all into ISO”, give a name to your iso
    _ While creating the AIO ISO image Select careful with this question... we need to keep the EI.CFG files...... to the pop-up question, DO NOT DELETE/CLEAR ei.cfg files at the end of the creation when asked.
    _ Done, go ahead and install your options from the iso you created (see picture I attached above).

NOTE: while creating the new folder at the end of the steps for the new AIO iso it will use the first WIM version selected (it has to be a x86 version) and then it will create the iso out of that folder.

That's it, it took 15-20 minutes to create from extracting all the isos to create the full iso...

If you just add the full isos to a one image will be huge, these isos share common files so that is the way to go..

NOTE: these AIO isos do not seem to work for 'upgrades' (when you try to upgrade from within Windows) but work great as full installation...

6. kokosmann

kokosmann MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    #6 kokosmann, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    (OP)
    Hey, thanks again for your help.

That ei.cfg of yours looks exactly the same like my ei.cfg file. I used the Pro ISO created with the MS media creation tool and put this ei.cfg in the sources folder.
    Unfortunately, it still didn't give me the ability to choose an edition when I tried setting up a new machine in VirtualBox.

I see only one small detail. Are there intentionally two free lines after the [EditonID]-tag? That could be the difference.

EDIT: Tried it out with 2 free lines, didn't make any difference.

EDIT 2: As it seems, you used some kind of multiple editons already. I used my Pro ISO and adding a ei.cfg file didnÄt do the trick for me :(.

7. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    If you're talking about a Pro ISO generated by the media creation tool from esd, Pro is the only thing in it. Making an ei.cfg to try to force a different edition ain't gonna work.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. kokosmann

kokosmann MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    Yeah, that's exactly what i tried to do.

How would you do it in that case in order to get the all the editons on one ISO then? Direct ISO download from somewhere else?

9. geese howard

geese howard MDL Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Any tool to integrate Language pack?
    Tried wintoolkit..no success

10. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
    I always use UltraISO to change .iso files. Just open .iso file, add ei.cfg to sources, save .iso file, ready to go. Takes 2 minutes or less.

11. kokosmann

kokosmann MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    Lol, that is exactly what I did, I myself use UltraISO a lot. Unfortunately, it still did not let me choose the edition to be installed. The ei.cfg has been put into the sources folder, then I mounted the ISO in VirtualBox, no success.

Could you pls show the contents of your ei.cfg, myhken?

12. AlexRuiz

AlexRuiz MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2009
    I am in the same boat, the ei.cfg did nothing to let me select version.
    I also created the ISO from the ESD, which now kind of explains.
    Does it mean I need to download a different ISO?

Would an ISO downloaded with the Win10 MediaCreationToolx64 work?
    Or am I better just grabbing an already unlocked ISO from somebody here?

13. kokosmann

kokosmann MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    Alex, my version that has been downloaded with the media creation tool did not accept the ei.cfg either.
    So I really dont know what to do right know, kind of weird behaviour as it always worked with this file in the past.

14. kokosmann

kokosmann MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    Now that is exactly what I've been looking for!

Thank you very much. It's probably the easiest way to go.

15. mjgr33n

mjgr33n MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2008
    If the downloads are slow then search for the exact file names on Google and am sure you can find torrents, just remember to match the SHA1 CRC32 etc.

16. kokosmann

kokosmann MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    Hey, they are not slow at all for me right now. I use THERAIN's Openload uploads and get a really acceptable speed.

Yep, for checking hashes I have HashTab installed on my win 8.1 machine here. That tool comes in handy of often.:cool:

17. genenioo

genenioo MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2007
    #18 genenioo, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Neither the .iso I created per your instructions above nor one I downloaded worked for upgrades but apparently will do full installs. Of course the Microsoft iso's will do both and they of course have Pro and Home together (kind of an aio). So you can have one stick for x86 and one for x64 until someone comes up with a way to have a true aio that will do all types of installs.

18. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Define true AIO :g:. You should check out Win8.1SE Live Windows with NTSetup, this can apply (install) every WIM you have on the USB or any drive of the machine you service (but the drive you wanna install onto).

Additionally that lets you define where the boot partition goes to (in opposite to that imbecile Windows Setup, which does by rolling dice).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. genenioo

genenioo MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2007
    #20 genenioo, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    Now that I think about it, I'm not sure any aio would do upgrades in the past, that is, for 7 or 8, etc. I guess I never worried about it before because I never did much, if any, upgrading in the past. This time I did because I wanted to keep all my stuff and settings from 7--I did it on a separate drive that I cloned my 7 to, so now I have a 7 drive and a 10 drive (also have an xp one, too!). Also, of course MS has now made upgrading a facet of licensing, where we never had that before. While of course it can cause many issues, it seems that if your underlying OS is in very good shape and well taken care of an upgrade can work out well. It seems to have this time and of course saves a lot of time and effort.