Windows 10 (Enterprise Insider Edition version 1703)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by wvzr1, Dec 16, 2017.

1. wvzr1

wvzr1 MDL Novice

May 14, 2011
    I've just purchased a T550 ThinkPad with this message in the offer for sale thread. I'll not have the T550 for maybe 5 days. It's an in warranty purchase and I'll have the 8.1 Recovery Media likely about the same time. I don't actually understand 'message' and would like to have maybe a head-start to plans that need to be made before 'end of year' W10 upgrade theoretically ends. I know that the PC BIOS has the 8.1 INFO and the PC wasn't delivered with the W7 PRO rights.

Do I just attempt a W10 rebuild using the PC menu and hope for the best maybe expecting W10 PRO? Do I install the Recovery Media then do a build using the W10 PRO ISO? Is this maybe just a 90 day trial that the seller has done before the sale?

I'm just really not familiar with the meaning of the message as to whether it's an "Enterprise W10 Edition" - a 90 day trial or just what.

I apologize if it seems to be a foolish request but I've searched and don't find information that isn't confusing!!

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  4. wvzr1

wvzr1 MDL Novice

May 14, 2011
    *** I thought I had properly quoted your post but looks like NOT !

You likely answered the question!! I was looking for an 'interpretation' of the 'thread title' and it seems you feel that quite likely when I receive the PC it's expecting maybe a 'login' from the domain that actually holds the VL. Is that correct? I read a comment somewhere that mentioned a 90 day trial by Joe, John, Jim or his cousin might reflect a statement similar to this and it only reflected the 'trial' being evaluated.

If I were to attempt a 'RESET' from the settings menu what might I end up with? Another VL or maybe if the PC was a WIN 10 PRO before being added to the VL might it revert to that?

If it didn't reset to WIN 10 PRO would the next move be just maybe do a WIN 10 PRO ISo, use a generic COA from Win 8.1 PRO and hope for the best?

I'd just like maybe someone to prepare me for the 'what to expect'!! I guess I just wait until it's delivered and then if I've issues 'come back'!

5. wvzr1

wvzr1 MDL Novice

May 14, 2011
    I don't know that it helps but I understand this is in BIOS for 'Preinstalled OS' SDK0E50510 WIN - I've seen that mentioned a couple times but it wasn't actually ID'd as a specific.OS.I was only trying to get a head-start but I'll just lay back and wait I believe. I'm quite sure that original order from Lenovo was ID'd as WIN 8.1 PRO 64.

I appreciate your time - Any thought of the most effective RESET and do maybe a NEW WIN 10 PRO install? Should I just use the ACCESSIBILITY approach since that's valid till EOY I believe.

6. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    as the laptop came with w8.1 Pro from factory (MSDM) installing W10 Pro will automatically activate using the same Bios key :)

Using the Query Tool from my thread will confirm if it is Pro or Home 8.1 MSDM, but from the specs on the Lenovo site it was Pro 8.1 preinstalled.

No need to use any other method to install the OS , as long as the ISO has 10 Pro in it the setup will automatically check the MSDM and install the Edition it is for.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. wvzr1

wvzr1 MDL Novice

May 14, 2011
    So since it's had before/NOW W10 (maybe assuming before the VL Evaluation) just do a fresh install using the ISO first and THEN if there are issues consider using the Recovery Media to 8.1 PRO and then the ACCESSIBILITY approach for the upgrade? try the RESET first for just GRINS?

8. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Going back to 8.1 then up to w10 would be pointless lol. If you have 8.1 pro installed on the laptop then just install W10 pro either by the media-creation tool or if you download the ISO and install, no need to 'upgrade' just a fresh install of w10 pro will gain you the legal activation status.

Enterprise is a different activation method, usually by KMS, Eval ones cannot be activated.

Why use the accessibility method? it is not like it came with w7 and you have to do the upgrade process.

Once you have the HWID for 10 Pro, you can switch between 8.1 Pro and 10 Pro as you wish. Make sure you get 10 Pro installed and activated before the end of the year :p then you can play as much as you like ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. wvzr1

wvzr1 MDL Novice

May 14, 2011
    Thanks for the comment! That's pretty much what I thought but EOY is approaching and I thought best to ask questions NOW. I've been here on the forum and usually just find the answer and I've never actually needed to ask for a direction before. The threads with resolutions were generally lengthy and at the time I don't recall there being a THANKS!!

10. wvzr1

wvzr1 MDL Novice

May 14, 2011
    W10 Licensing.jpg
    I may have confirmed my thoughts from Insider For Business FAQ

11. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Home/Pro: Use key, KMS solution or establish a HWID now you still can.
    Enterprise: Use key or KMS solution, should have been clear from the start.
    The 15063 (1703) enterprise iso you mentioned isn't an insider preview iso, it's made available early for insiders but installs the full enterprise.

12. wvzr1

wvzr1 MDL Novice

May 14, 2011
    I finally received the machine - It's certainly in the condition it was advertised as. Above the date/time in taskbar it says this "Windows 10 Enterprise Insider Preview Evaluation Copy". Build 16257.rs3_release 170728-1700. Opening the NOTE it mentions "You're set up for Insider Preview Builds" Click to manage - which opens SETTINGS - Windows Insider Program.

How best to get this to WIN 10 PRO -64 from where it's at? There's 27.5 GB used at this point with no recent files etc. I've opened nothing except Settings and poked around.

I'm just an ole West Virginia 'hillbilly" looking for a little help!

13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    16257 is an Insider Preview, 16299 Insider Preview is a full MVS iso.

To get it to official pro, install a official Pro edition.

14. wvzr1

wvzr1 MDL Novice

May 14, 2011
    Done - I just did a USB Key and assumed that there was certainly WIN 10 PRO install done before the "Evaluation" software. It did create a Windows.old I believe because when I clean files it removed 20.6 GB leaving me with a 21 GB installation that says WIN 10 PRO "Digital Activation". I ended up with 1709 16299.15. I'm happy. If the question seemed "foolish" it get's an Oh Well from me.