Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB N - Pure Desktop version, Flexible updates, no Modern Apps

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by pawX, Jul 29, 2015.

1. pawX

pawX MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    #1 pawX, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    This is Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB N 64-bit (en_windows_10_enterprise_2015_ltsb_n_x64_dvd_6848316.iso / DBE728416545EA3E47FBA05575E81AD0F595871F).

It comes without Edge or Cortana, without the Photos app, without Windows Media Player, Camera, Music, TV & Movies, Skype and so on.

No store or apps at all.

Modern apps are replaced with 'programs' before they became 'apps' - for example: the classic calculator is there instead of the less-smart 'Calc' app.

The classic Photo Viewer is also in the system (instead of the 'Photos' app). However, you will need a registry tweak in order to make it appear under the 'Open With' list as by default it's hidden.
    Registry fix:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Change Extension's File Type
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.jpg]
    @="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.jpeg]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.gif]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.png]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.bmp]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.tiff]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.ico]

If you're using the N version and you're having problems relating to games not being able to show videos due to missing codecs, or certain devices not being recognized properly, you can install the Feature pack from Microsoft which will solve this. It will install WMP along with other components. It won't turn your version into a non-N as it's still a more stripped down version even if you install this pack. After installation, you can freely remove Windows Media Player from the feature list as the missing components will be kept (untick just Windows Media Player, while ''Media Features' remains ticked). You can get the feature pack here:
    After changing the Group Policy Windows Update setting of Automatic Updates, you will be notified when updates are available but it will not automatically download and install them. Instead, you will have a 'Download' button.

Picture:
    Another picture from a neighboring thread (posted by @KNARZ) showing the nearly-empty startmenu:
    Clarification on how to achieve this:

Regarding hiding:
    If you don't manage updates using WSUS and you want to keep using Windows Update, you can't select which ones to install using Windows Update itself.

However, you do see a list of all the updates that are ready to be downloaded. Before they are downloaded, you can use the Microsoft-provided tool to hide updates:
    Then, instead of it automatically downloading and installing and then you having to uninstall and hide, you can hide it in the first place before it's being downloaded and installed.

Here's what I did to acheive that:
    In Local Group Policy Editor, set:
    Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update -> Configure Automatic Updates -> 2 - Notify for download and notify for install
    Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update -> Turn on Software Notifications -> Enabled
    Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update -> Allow Automatic Updates immediate installation -> Disabled
    Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update -> Turn on recommended updates via Automatic Updates -> Enabled

2. bromanbro

bromanbro MDL Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Ahh, cool.

I suppose security updates have little risk of messing up a machine, but still weird that updates can't be selected considering that MS bothered making a SKU for mission-critical PCs in the first place...

PS: Can someone check under regedit in LTSB and see what Ring they're under? Is it an LTSB ring?

3. compgen_1534

compgen_1534 MDL Addicted

Jul 26, 2015
    How you select updates. I see no option :confused:

Help please

4. bromanbro

bromanbro MDL Member

Sep 30, 2012
    LTSB apparently has no function to select specific updates, but since it's security updates only, then it should be the most stable 10 SKU by far.

5. compgen_1534

compgen_1534 MDL Addicted

Jul 26, 2015
    :weep: Well I guess that good enough
    I also have the Microsoft show hide update tool so I guess I good?

6. arifkarim

arifkarim MDL Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Use that update selection tool Microsoft made for you guys especially... :biggrin:

7. bromanbro

bromanbro MDL Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Yup, whenever you want to install updates, just run the show/hide update tool, which will pull availible updates. Then, hide ones you don't want.

Unlike in other editions, LTSB won't immediately start downloading updates (with group policy), so easier to manage.

8. pawX

pawX MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I think that by default it uses the same branch as other versions ('Current' branch), which includes non-security fixes as opposed to the LTSB branch (the pic shows it found two non-Security updates), but it should be able to change between branches. Still, the update control is better.

9. bromanbro

bromanbro MDL Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Soo

How do you change to LTSB =)?

Though I think Defender updates count as security updates...

10. pawX

pawX MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Not sure how to change yet, looking for options maybe in registry.

And yeah Defender are most likely considerd security, but notice how one update specifically says 'Security Update for Windows 10...' and two others say 'Update for Windows 10' (without 'Security'). It probably means that every update that is considered critical (even if not security related) will appear.

11. cyberloner

cyberloner MDL Member

Sep 19, 2009
    that's lite version of windows 10... so uac can be totally disable? :tasty:

12. TCM

TCM MDL Addicted

Aug 25, 2011
    What about that "Diagnostic and usage data"? There's only "Basic" as the minimum and nothing like "None".

This data-grabbing whore business is really starting to piss me off. I'm seriously considering blocking every Windows host completely, and just whitelisting the gaming stuff and do all my browsing on a Linux VM.

When installing, you have to literally negate _every_ f**king option and when it's installed, you have to go through pages and pages of settings and turn off almost every slider.

How the f**k is there not an outrage at this spying? And that's even in the Enterprise LTSB version that no normal customer is ever seeing on his machine. The normal versions with their Fisher Price zoo of colorful bulls**t are even worse.

Seriously, f**k every consumer sheep that actually wants this.

13. pawX

pawX MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    You can set it to "0 - None" in Group Policy Editor. It will grey out the setting at Basic, but it actually disables it completely. The setting even says that it only applies to Enterprise.

14. TCM

TCM MDL Addicted

Aug 25, 2011
    #16 TCM, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    I'm about to wade through this heap of crap. It's such a mess to do this on every single install and not forget a setting. This is totally not how an OS should be.

Edit: Well look at that: kms.png

15. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012

You can remove the whole telemetry package:

C:\>dism /online /remove-package /packagename:Microsoft-Windows-Prerelease-Client-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.10240.16384

16. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    This was directly after oobe phase. And you're wrong... this only happens with Pro version after upgrade to Pro (Win7 KMS becomes Win 10 MAK)

17. XxBrazilianoxX

XxBrazilianoxX MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    I changed the settings in the group policy edit but when I manually check for updates it still install them automatically!! What settings you changed in group policy?