Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB on a consumer grade computer, do or don't?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by bartgrefte, Oct 25, 2016.

1. bartgrefte

bartgrefte MDL Novice

Jan 29, 2013
    #1 bartgrefte, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    When W10 was first released, I immediately noticed the large amount of apps with disabled delete button. With the help of Powershell-scripts there is something that can be done about that, if the apps store (or a build-upgrade) doesn't decide to reinstall everything...

In addition to that, MS integrated some features I do not want/need but that do increase the time spend on updating everything regularly.

At some point I came across W10 Enterprise LTSB, which is exactly what I'm looking for: A Windows 10 edition without the need for cleanup after a clean install and that only gets bugfixes and security updates. No unnecessary features at all.

Great:biggrin: Or so it seems...

I know that, from a license point of view, consumers are not allowed to use this particular edition. But are there any other reason's to not use this edition on a consumer grade computer?

To be clear: I'm interested in the LTSB part of this edition, not (specifically) in the Enterprise features. Too bad MS doesn't have a LTSB edition of Pro or Home, then consumers would be allowed to use it (legally).

2. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

There is no reason to not install the LTSB version on a consumer PC. Even from the legal POV, if you want you can buy a license from many sources. Obviously it doesn't come for cheap, it was about 240$ the last time I checked.

A lot, but a a price comparable to W7/8 Pro

3. bartgrefte

bartgrefte MDL Novice

Jan 29, 2013
    Hmm, okay :)

4. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    $240, that is too much.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    I guess MS hopes to make an equivalent (or larger) amount of money from Pro and Home trough the store, the cloud services and personal data mined.

6. MacAddict01

MacAddict01 MDL Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Many of us are running this edition on consumer or mid-range computers and for many reasons it does appear to run smoother for us. I'd go for it:biggrin:

7. Supern00b

Supern00b MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2010
    I ONLY use LTSB on consumer computers. So far it has been a lot better than regular W10 Pro or enterprise.

Cheers.

8. sXpTv

sXpTv MDL Member

Jul 14, 2014
    Do it! Seriously.. I'm using LTSB since the first version of Windows 10. It feels a lot more like Windows 7, it doesn't have any Metro apps preinstalled and it comes with legacy win32 programs like the Calculator.

I'm using my PC mainly for gaming and it's working fine with DX12, even though DX12 isn't any better than DX11 atm.

9. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I tested LTSB on Hyper-V, and the first thing I did was install store, get rid of that dreadful Windows 7 calculator, and install MS Calculator from the store. I also installed Edge. Only then was it actually usable for anything.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. wwanky

wwanky MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2009
    #10 wwanky, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    I installed it a week ago and i think its perfect for me as I dont use store or apps and always disable the cortana crap. I only wish I knew about it earlier. its much more like what a desktop OS should be

11. bonesz

bonesz MDL Addicted

Jun 30, 2013
    #11 bonesz, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    I run it on 4 systems and they seem to be running fine. Without Cortana and Windows Store among other stuff is lighter somewhat on resources.

12. Dedek

Dedek MDL Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Is this a joke or what.

13. bartgrefte

bartgrefte MDL Novice

Jan 29, 2013
    Okay, looks like a lot of people are positive about this edition on consumer computers:biggrin:
    But I haven't heard any downsides yet, if there are any(?). I don't want to run into surprises;)

In my case it's mainly media, some games (Cities Skylines, Worms 3D, UT99), electronic development (Multisim, mostly Arduino/RPi-related) and a bunch of VM's in VMware Workstation. Which is as far as I know nothing that requires specific features that aren't available in W10 Enterprise LTSB.

Speaking of features, I remember reading that there will only be big updates once every two/three years. So what's the 1607 based build for?:confused: Haven't found a list of differences yet between LTSB 2015 and 2016 and not why it got released after only 1 year.

What's wrong with W7's calc.exe? It may be very simple, but for the more complex things I've got a TI-84 lying around (mandatory at school). So no need to install something else.

14. wazzock

wazzock MDL Senior Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Definitely a DO, especially the N version. :)

15. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

He likes trolling.

FYI his definition of the crappy w10 start menu is "a piece of art"....

hahahaha

16. Shayne

Shayne MDL Addicted

Jul 31, 2009
    From reading his post I would say maybe a troll but 4 sure he is the joker. There r some that use a computer to complete tasks and then there are others.

Think he is proficient in PS, cad or any real app? Maybe he picked it all up at the store. Don't get me started on RPN calculators again that just gets T-S going ;).

Regards

17. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Sure. More kidding than trolling. Whatever...:biggrin:

18. Full inu

Full inu MDL Addicted

Jun 9, 2015
    I absolutely agree :biggrin:
    and no, i'm not trolling :biggrin:
    these apps such as Groove, Weather, Store, Photos are absolutely necessary.

19. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    Runs games
    Runs office
    Runs programs
    Can be made to run modern apps (options and not included, so you start out fresh without bloatware)

No reason I can think of not to use it.

20. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    The Windows 10 start menu is a marvel of modern software development, and IS a piece of art. It is head-and-shoulders above the crappy Windows 7 start menu which I recommend to avoid like the plague. While the Windows 7 style calculator is usable (barely) we now have a modern app replacement, which is also a beautiful piece of software, and has many options, and configurations. Basically, the LTSB edition of Windows is made for industry. This is why it does not contain so much of the software which makes the Pro version of Windows such a pleasure.