[DISCUSSION] Windows 10 Enterprise (N) LTSC 2019

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Tito, Feb 1, 2018.

1. slayer9450

slayer9450 MDL Member

Aug 3, 2015
    Sounds cool. Care to share?

2. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    #102 xinso, Sep 6, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Offtopic: CM Government Edition does those too.

3. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

Do any of you guys really believe GodHand will come here and share his super exclusive Avengers team-up build from Microsoft and NSA that claims to do all that he says?
    Really, think about it? When have that ever happen when things sounds to be good to be true?

LTSB 2016 1607 have been out for 2 years more or less and now like an act from God, GodHand suddenly comes down like a messiah claiming he got the cure and that it works perfect on every hardware.

LTSB 2016 1607 have been a superior OS since 2016 and still is, YES! But LTSC is coming and I'm betting it will be even more superior OS jam-packed with goodies.

I wouldn't trust anything a false prophet would offer me (if he did), instead I would go directly to the source.
    The more I read that comment, the more I want to wait on LTSC. All hail LTSC!

4. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    I've got that guy on ignore, and generally only do that to fools, so I wouldn't hold your breath

5. PsychedelicShaman

PsychedelicShaman MDL Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Yeah, LTSB 1607 might have problems on some hardware configurations, you guys are absolutely right about that, however claiming that Coffee Lake CPUs are not working on LTSB 1607 is simply not true.
    My neighbour has just built new gaming PC some time ago and he asked me to come to him and help him clean install Windows 10 (he doesn't know much about computers), his new PC has i7 8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, of course i came to him with bootable pendrive of LTSB 1607 x64, haha. I've clean installed LTSB 1607 x64 on his machine, then installed all newest drivers from nvidia, motherboard website, etc and everything works perfectly, we tested lots of Steam games on his PC, everything works.
    The only unusual thing i had to do was to convert his SSD partition from MBR to GPT in cmd.exe in Windows installer, because LTSB 1607 didn't want to install on MBR, lol.

6. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

Thanks for sharing that story!

When I first got my new machine* which a company built for me I did a clean install of LTSB and the installation went on with good results.
    It wasn't until after the installation and I started to use the OS all the weird stuff started to happen like I have explained earlier.

No matter how many times I did clean installs, even used Active @ Killdisk to wipe the HDD it stilled caused me problems.
    I guess I was just one of the unlucky few that just couldn't use LTSB on my Coffee Lake machine, let's just say that it was a unstable mess, frustrating to say at least.

Usually I have been very lucky in the past, but at some point it's bound to run out sooner or later.

I'm not going to cry over spilled milk, it is what it is and there are alternatives (like I said earlier 1803 works good and so will LTSC hopefully)

Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout
    ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB DUAL OC
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2400MHz CL16 Vengeance
    Noctua NH-D15
    ASUS PRIME Z370-A
    Corsair HX850 850W
    Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7 GHz 12MB
    WD Blue 1TB 7200rpm 64MB

7. freiwald

freiwald MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2015
    same board, cpu and graphicscard here and i got no problems at all.

8. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    The only variables are ram, software, updates or drivers. What updates are installed on your pc?

9. freiwald

freiwald MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2015
    well the newest drivers and updates... ram is from gskill 4x4gb 3200mhz

10. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    If i cant get w7 working then i stand a good chance with ltsb, thanks freiwald.

11. JumpyJim

JumpyJim MDL Junior Member

Aug 29, 2013
    JaguarXJ12 - LTSB does work on modern hardware, sounds a bit odd getting all the weird stuff going on. Perhaps you could download the LTSB ISO again but from another source?

12. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    He asked for deletion of his MDL account, he now is a guest ;)

13. Feniksrising

Feniksrising MDL Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Personally I'm a bit apprehensive when people start to claim that LTSB doesn't work on their hardware. It may be true or not but what I do know is that Microsoft doesn't want anyone to use LTSB.

But if you are running into trouble I feel for you. This industry has really turned to s**t when you can't even expect new hardware to be compatible with a 2 year old build of Windows 10.

14. jonaaa

jonaaa MDL Member

Jul 20, 2015
    LTSB wasn't made for consumer, just for specific devices and for business, LTSB works fine on my hardware but probably will not work on a different hardware.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. YIN

YIN MDL Member

May 31, 2009
    i installed windows 10 N LTSB 2016 on three computers and single piece of crap cheap tablet that i own
    1. 8600k, z370-pro gaming, 16gb ram,ssd 2tb,1060 gtx 6gb gigabyte windforce, x64 version
    2. e7400, 3gb ram ddr2, ssd 64gb, x32 version
    3. e8400, 3gb ram ddr2, ssd 64gb , x32 version
    4. atom z3735g, built in 1gb ram ddr3, built in ssd 16gb, x32 version

all the computers running fine, the pc with the grafic card run few modern games (pubg, we happy few, gtav, agony and more) without any problem at all

16. 3zero3

3zero3 MDL Senior Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Simply, no.

17. Supern00b

Supern00b MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2010
    #117 Supern00b, Sep 9, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    Some people here don't understand the difference between "unsupported" and "not working".
    LTSB works absolutely fine on any hardware, providing that the system requirements like memory/processor are met.
    I've installed LTSB countless times (I work in IT) and it has been rock solid and the best Windows 10 version I've come across.
    Yes, also on Coffee lake systems it worked a charm.

Cheers.

18. onepic

onepic MDL Junior Member

Oct 7, 2011
    LTSB 2016 it's working OK on a i7 8086K + ASUS mainboard with z370 chipset (all drivers installed ok without warning) + nVidia 1080Ti.Tested few weeks ago on a system i build for a friend and all games him instal on it are working. Maybe on RYZEN 2XXX to be some problems with drivers but on intel are not...

19. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    #119 AveYo, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    People being loud around here blaming others for the audacity to report issues, just because they personally have never seen problems in their probably limited usage scenario / technical competence / tunnel vision to actually notice..

Mean time I've seen plenty of machines having weird issues in games under LTSB 2016, but that's probably because all the manufacturers are cutting corners for this bloody eastern europe market: netflix subs not working, lcd panel lottery only between bad and worse, asus gaming notebooks with different motherboards, acer with flammable batteries, gigabyte with fake metal heat spreaders and painted low grade capacitors, intel cpus un-overclockable or even unstable with default boost clocks (bad silicon batches everywhere), so called paired ram with same stickers but with dozen week difference and even different profiles etc. etc. Generic drivers are cancerous in this scenario - everything must be fiddled with, there are ltsb-specific gotchas, sometimes oem driver is better, other times not, bios updates can screw a driver and you need to hunt for solutions again..
    Coke, RedBull, tobacco, cofee all taste like crap, expensive toothpaste made out of dirt, durex lacking lub and causing bruises, even bloody detergents being a chemical disaster for skin, clothes and the washing machine. That's right - market matters! ffs my sister works in NL for an Apple center that refurbishes iphones and ipads that end up in the eastern europe market as new! And those are the nice ones, because there are others (re)done in other countries like CZ with even less care! Not even gonna start about those (re)made in asia.

Did I mention that Microsoft has finished at the start of this year their long-term goal of per-user/business/device/home/area/city/county subscribed content and delivery? They no longer have to comb trough s**tload of data with mostly regional or country relevance - everything is nicely entering their databases via minified criptic json, and the morons applaud MS for "openness". How does it affect you? Not much for now. We can only see the large difference in bloatware and update frequency from region to region (and yes, LTSB is also affected without draconian policy changes). But there is so much potential..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  20. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    Grind that axe baby. :D Thing is quality today is crap, stuff dont last, pay more for smaller amounts. :mad: