Windows 10 - Few Critical Issues

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by superleeds27, Jul 24, 2017.

1. superleeds27

superleeds27 MDL Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I've been given a PC to look at.

1. Upon booting, it creates a temporary profile
    2. Nothing seems to work on the temporary profile. - Settings panel opens and then closes, programs fail to launch
    3. Clicking on the start menu gives the following message - Critical error, we'll try to restore the start menu on next login
    4. CMD - Opens but typing in commands does nothing.
    5. Safe mode - I can't get into this. It just keeps saying preparing windows when i go to login.
    I'm at a loss. I'm assuming the PC must have been unplugged when a major update was being installed and now clearly doesn't function.

Before i try the Windows 10 Reset PC feature - is there anything else i could try or look at?

2. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    #3 LiteOS, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    delete the profile from system
    check first if u have important files in this profile

check the directories structure
    maybe same is missing

check if u got virus, malware

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I think the fastest would be a clean new install! do that, install all required drivers and apps, not to forget any, in meantime available updates to the OS and may MS apps too! Done all that, Use 3.party apps like HDClone and create an image of the whole HDD with installed apps etc. and keep that on an external storage for possible later use, if same, or similar problems occur again!
    Don't forget to save all needed data first before proceeding!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    With such problems as yours, I always do format / re-install as @pisthai recommended.
    Lot of work but in the long run you know all the time invested and all efforts put, will be fruitful.