Windows 10 For Phones

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by Rock Hunter, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    I have a Nokia 1020 with a 41 megapixel camera. I have installed the last 4 builds of Windows 10 for phones including today's release. Each time I reverted back to Windows 8.1 after trying Windows 10 and finding it unusable for me. Main problem is the camera app. It was only working in video not stills. That is a deal breaker for me since the camera was the reason I bought this cell phone. One problem is that setup doesn't properly recognize my phone as a Nokia 1020, it thinks I have a difference model.

Based on this week's news about Microsoft laying off 9,800 employees most of them in the phone division, I am wondering if Microsoft is about to pull the plug on Windows phones and Windows 10 for phones. If they continue on, they are not nearly ready to release it as they are with Windows 10 for computers. Windows 10 for phones needs a lot of work before it can be used.

2. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Microsoft is not pulling the plug on Windows Phones, they are mostly letting go the people they got with Nokia because eh... they really don't need em. What they are doing is having Hardware/Software close together to have have hardware and software in harmony, something that Apple is doing. If Microsoft gets out of Mobile, then that will mean giving up on Consumers as Win32/Legacy has no longterm future and this would also start affecting more and more enterprises.

Microsoft is clearly working towards the "new Windows" with Windows Mobile not away from it, Windows 10 for desktops is just the middle ground for now and that won't change in the short time. First step will be releasing Windows without legacy in 2-5 years (it mainly depends on apps, no apps = no good) and that SKU will likely be just Windows Mobile itself as there is no reason to make a new SKU.

If Microsofts Universal App platform WinRT doesn't succeed then you can obviously forget Windows on anything anyway.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...