Windows 10 for VR

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Space Dandy, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Space Dandy

Space Dandy MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2017
    My PC's all run w7 right now and I am still super happy with them and feel no need to upgrade to w10 that said...

If someone was doing a new PC build specifically for VR gaming which build of windows 10 would be best.

I was looking at LTSB or LTSC as I hear they dont have the windws store and all the other crapware bundled in w10 but not sure if these work with VR... that said Not sure I will be getting a WMR HMD but I am starting to gather information just in case since I am looking at possibly getting one of these by the end of the year:

The pimax 5k+, Samsung Odyssey+, VivePro or possibly the new valve HMD that's still under wraps.

Any insights appreciated

2. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    i would say Pro but ask the VR vendor what version of win 10 is best for that equipment.

3. Space Dandy

Space Dandy MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2017
    Thanks for the reply MS_User!

Got to say.... 89 views and only one reply...dunno if it's because the question is about VR, which is admittedly still quite niche, or just that I am use to the windows 7 board and this is the norm for the w10 board but I expected more replies by now and a little more insight.......

That said after more digging on my own, it's looking like pimax, oculus and vive headset all work fine with w/e OS BUT for the WMR headset the 2019 LTSC w10 wont work as the M$ VR headsets require the windows store and other features not in ltsc 2019 even though creators update is in ltsc 2019 and even if you manually add the WMR portal.

Wish I could test this for everyone and say for sure but not having a headset yet makes that difficult.