Windows 10 Free for the first year

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by secaspider, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. secaspider

secaspider MDL Novice

Nov 22, 2009
    About Microsoft Once will be lauched on the market W10 will be free for those what upgrade to the new version from Win7 or Win8.
    We hope will be truth.

2. darevsek

darevsek MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2014
    Then it looks like you will be paying yearly for it (after the "free" year). The OS version of Live365.

"Microsoft’s VP of Operating Systems, Terry Myerson, referred to their new approach as “Windows as a service,” making Windows 10 a platform to grow from."

This is what the Enterprise people want to hear... Another yearly maint payment on all their systems. I know many corps still on office10/13 due to that. Do not think they will "well we pay for OS, might as well pay for Office too" will be in many of their conversations. More like "what can we go to to not have to pay all these invoices". I for one already having these convo's with my law firm.

3. TheSubaru2012

TheSubaru2012 MDL Senior Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Don

Don MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Just the opposite. Would you rather pay 200-300 a copy for windows and put it on a machine that is obsolete in 2 years or pay 7-8$ a month and throw it away with the machine when you replace it? It all comes down to price. People still run garbage like xp on old machines not because of the cost of new hardware but because of the cost of a new OS which they know will be obsolete soon too.

5. darevsek

darevsek MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2014
    @TheSubaru2012 - took Win10 convo to that thread thanks.

To answer you on that... NOPE. Sorry. Maybe at your corp. But here, and even a major corp I know of still are working on XP due to their was no real need to upgrade due to obsolete. And the XP Revolt showed MS that. The Major corp I know of still have a XP desktop running an OS2 emulator so that they can run some software that there is no replacement for anywhere without about 2-4 million investment. And here many users are still using WordPerfect 9 (2000) because it works for their workflow, and there is no real "have to have" type stuff in the newer versions of OS or even Office that they needed. We are updating to Win7 with Office 2010, but that's it. Yep, they don't want the cost of new OS's EVERY YEAR, is part of not upgrading. But if you have stuff that is working, why spend money and disrupted workflows (which cost even more user hours to figure things out) when you don't have too? Case in point I know a Excel power user that something in 2003 that they could do with programing and such now take him 35-45 minutes to do because of the way Excel now is because it is a total workflow disruption. Still takes 10-15 even after he figured out the shortcuts and such for his multiple row programmings.

And if you really think it's going to be 7-8 bucks a month really need to rethink that one through. Look at the price of Live365 per month, LiveOS (prob Win11) will be double to triple per month of Live365, not cheaper.

6. Aninvitedsoul

Aninvitedsoul MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Don

Don MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    I don't know what it will be but like I said it all comes down to price. Office which is more expensive than windows comes out to 82 cents per device if you have a home user copy. ($99/yr/12/10 (5 pcs and 5 tablets). No telling what they will charge for an enterprise version of windows but I am guessing it will have to be attractive or they will have the same situation they have today.