Windows 10 Free Upgrade for those with clean 8.1 Pro installations

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by cig3f, Jun 26, 2015.

1. cig3f

cig3f MDL Novice

Mar 28, 2010
    Hello All,

First, I wanted to say thanks to all who have helped me fix my MS programs over the years. You've helped me since Windows 7 and Office 2007 with clean copies and working updates.

I used a verified copy of Windows 8.1 Pro VL downloaded from MS to install successfully with the GVLK. Then I was lucky enough to have spotted the UK Skype registration fix to get a clean key, and it also was successful in enabling a clean copy that has functioned for a year and a half with no issues. I get Windows updates like any other owner. I also used the UK fix to cleanly register Office 2013 Pro Plus VL, Project Pro, Visio Pro, and Visual Studio 2013, all with functioning updates and no issues for years.

So, since I used a VL copy of Win 8.1 Pro and a GVLK install with the Skype UK clean key, will the free update to Windows 10 Pro work for me? I am guessing the answer is no because it was volume, but if so, why am I getting the notification? I don't want to upset my functioning MS suite of programs if this will be the cause.

Thanks,
    CIG

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Hmm ... would guess the magic 'Skype UK clean key' means phone activation with any leaked key. The key most likely is blacklisted/blocked by now.

I wouldn't expect an activated Win 10 after the Upgrade.

The GWX notification in system try only checks for compatibility issues, nothing more.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cig3f

cig3f MDL Novice

Mar 28, 2010
    Thanks for the reply. I made a new thread as I read the other ones on the same topics, and they respond with different answers for the same situations, or speculation only. Also, most of them described hacked versions, yet mine is clean; just GVLK. I assume this upgrade is only for single use copies.

Thanks S1ave77; that makes sense.

4. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    First: Hacktivation isn't allowed to discuss at MDL. Non of the tools here change system files nor tampers with system registry.

Second: Not sure what clean means to you. The system you're using isn't meant for nor selled to normal desktop users. An installed gVLK still needs KMS activation.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. cig3f

cig3f MDL Novice

Mar 28, 2010
    Hello again, I definitely used no tools like KMS to do this. It's been a while. All I remember was calling the UK and they gave me a real key. I won't discuss this any further. Thanks for your time.

6. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Almost obvious what you must have done ... since you cannot phone-activate a gVLK :cool2:.

7. cak

cak MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2008
    in my Windows 8.1 Pro VL actived whit phone i have a notification of free update to windows 10:biggrin:

8. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    That means system is compatible ... not that it will be activated after Upgrade :cool2:.

9. TheCandyManHK

TheCandyManHK MDL Addicted

Jun 26, 2015
    I have had notification with 7/8.1 with free upgrade and will be done throw windows update ?

10. cengizhan

cengizhan MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    i have three machines with legal volume keys installed. one windows 7, two windows 8.1. all of them had free upgrade notification.

11. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    It could be that they simply didn't anticipate people using this method. I'm sure they'd block it if they knew about it and it was worth the effort (enough people doing it)

12. cig3f

cig3f MDL Novice

Mar 28, 2010
    Hi all, I checked my bookmarks and process again; and no files or registries were modified, and no helper programs were used therein. In case anyone is also in my situation, I downloaded the hash-verified 8.1 Pro updated VL 64 bit DVD ISO; I used a GVLK to install; I called phone activation and provided my installation ID; and they returned an activation ID. How or why this UK number did this properly for my Win 8.1 Pro and then again for all the Office, Project, Visio, and Visual Studio programs, I do not know.

Anyway, the obvious path is to wait until we have more data on which to make a decision as well as processes created to deal with the forthcoming OS; although it's certain from the discussion my upgrade would fail.

Thanks again,
    CIG

13. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Hmm, Volume licenses (KMS or MAK) aren't supposed to recieved the free upgrade offer. Since Win 8.1 needed new MAKs i would assume same applies to Win 10.

14. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Still normal phone activation, the UK number doesn't change that fact. That still needed a Retail or MAK key for the phone activation. As long this wasn't your bought key, the leaked one, that was used is blocked by now :g:.

15. velocidad

velocidad MDL Member

Nov 15, 2009
    I have a Windows 7 pro laptop with original key and today I still don't get the GWX notification. So no, this does not mean my system is incompatible (a laptop with 6 month old can't be incompatible), it just mean there are same rings as in preview slow/fast for this. They have to test the upgrade with someone, so there are people that have been "random" selected to be in the fast ring and others in the slow one.

16. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
  17. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    I wonder if he used a retail key and he just thinks he used a gVLK. I've never heard of a gVLK activating online or phone method.
    My other guess would be MAK, but that doesn't require phone activation.
    Oh well, doesn't matter. I'm sure you're right. There's no way a gVLK or MAK will carry activation over unless they are generating new activations without verifying.

18. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Even a MAK with online activation count '0' can be activated by phone till it get's blocked by the Servers.

I would also assume in case a by now blocked Retail key was used, activation wont be carried over :g:.

19. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    Yes, but you may need to re-phone activate if you switched hardware and the little upgrade notification isn't there in the taskbar.
    I had to do that on my daughter's system.

20. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    :cool2:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

In that case even a new phone activation will fail with such a key.