windows 10 freezes at windows logo and spining dots.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by raptorddd, Feb 18, 2022.

1. raptorddd

raptorddd MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2019
    #1 raptorddd, Feb 18, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    SOLVED... it was a bios related problem. see lasts posts.

not sure if this is the correct place to post this if not please move it.
    dell precision m4600
    i7 2760qm
    8 gb ram 2x4
    hdd
    am facing this problem on windows 10 that on cold boot it freezes on the windows logo and spining dots.
    it was working fine before on 1809-1909 and last 21h2
    . but i faced another problem before this that got fixed but after the fixed now i face this am not sure what could be the reason or how to fix.

it was working fine until one day when i decided to clean install windows 10 got official iso image and used rufus for usb. when it booted from the usb started the installation and it copied all files as you know when this is done the pc will auto restart automatically after 8 seconds, then restarts and starts installation you add name and password ect and takes you to desktop. well for me after it restarted it froze at the dell logo. pressing f12 or any key would do nothing i would not go past he dell logo. the blue bar will fill up then freeze. could not enter bios or diagnostic laptop was bricked. after many search on the web here i found someone with the same laptop model and the problem and he fixed by manually flashing the bios with programmer ch34a1.

so i bought the programmer got the clamp with and decided to get it fix as well. but here comes more problems. am a newbie. there are 2 chips and 2 files for bios. so when i was readinf the chips i manage to read 1 of them and attempting to read the other one i could not grab the chip anymore with the clamp. it wore off the plastic. so while i was trying i removed 1 or 2 resistors smd next to the chip. lucky i had older board. since i live in small town i suffere from panic attacks i have no income and rarely go to city. i took both motherboards and have a local shop solder the missing resistors on the board am planning to use. i was told it had to have a thermal station something like that not really sure. so he did solder the missing resistor or transistor on the other board . he also removed both chips. wich he then solder them to the programmer. i took them home and program it both chips and had him solder them back on the mother board.

i assembled back the laptop and the freeze on dell logo was fixed. now i could go into bios. get past the dell logo and got it to boot into windows remeber it never completed installation so booted to windows installation to complete add name or password but i decided to stope it and decided to do a clean installation.
    so here is where am facing this new problem.

windows 10 freezes at the windows logo and spining dots.

i did i clean installation added name and password and booted to desktop not connected to wifi.
    i create a new system restore point. i can use laptop just fine. i can restart laptop and takes me to desktop and works fine.
    but if i shut down laptop and turn it on thats when i face the windows logo spining dots then freeze never gets to log in screen. force it to enter advanced recovery. in there i can go to restore point and restore created point it would restore the created point finish and restart and laptops enters to desktop just fine.
    if i enter to advanced recovery and then enter safe mode boot to desktop fine. if i do a restart it also takes me to desktop fine normal mode.
    so it only happens when i shut down laptop it freezes.
    i have updated windows upto date and still face this. do stress test all fine. do benchmark on both video cards and work fine temps are fine.
    in dell diagnostics it passes all tests.
    it does this on win 8.1 win 10 and even tried win 11 all freeze at spining dots
    but i also tried windows 7 pro. and on win 7 i dont face this i can restart and or turn off laptop and always boots to desktop..
    been trying to find out why for 2 weeks aready please help.
    could it be related to ressistor smd that got removed.? or the bios flashing.?
    thanks

2. Very good Great Essay on Win10 . Pl keep it up & write more more bigger ones next time .........

3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Take one small test. If you have the OpenSSH Authentication Agent set to auto start, disable it completely or, in extreme cases, set it to start manually. And when it's done, see what happens. I have had such a problem and it was helpful then, but of course that doesn't mean it should help with your problem either.
    You can disable it by using Windows Services or if going in the Services table in the System Configuration table.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #4 pisthai, Feb 18, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
    There could be a problem with Hardware.

Seem to be a Desktop Workstation, therefore I would start with opening the case and removing all Memory Modules. Done that, use a soft Pencil-Rubber, and clean the golden connector feet of the modules with that Pencil-Rubber. Done that take the first Module back into the first Memory Connector and start the machine. If it starts normally, you could take the second Module into place and restart again to check it works and so on. If the problem still exists, remove the first added Module and place another into that same Memory Slot and start the WS, you'll see it works or not. That way you could check every Module you may have to work.

The reason for the Memory check is easy because Windows is very sensitive about 100% working Memory Modules. Even if you try Memtest86 and that passed, Windows may still do not accept those memories and will 'hangs' while startup.

You may also try to upgrade the machine's BIOS to its latest available version if that wasn't done already.

If none of that works, it's possible that there is a problem with the Main Chipset, the BIOS, or something else. Time to go to a Service station to check what really is happening.

Edit: If I was wrong and it's a Laptop, Memory clean applies as well for it too! The procedure is the same, just to open a Laptop is a bit more difficult! So be careful!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    #5 case-sensitive, Feb 18, 2022
    @ OP .......... what you say is not clear . Its very hard to understand ..... and to understand what youve done and why ? It sounds drastic and unreflected .

Start at the start = When your computer was running properly . Then say what happened / what you did .

6. raptorddd

raptorddd MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2019
    so giving all information isnt the best.? i mean i had to tell exactly what happened right.?

7. raptorddd

raptorddd MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2019
    ok ill try that thanks.

8. raptorddd

raptorddd MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2019
    yes its a worksatation.
    ill try all suggestions.
    i already update the bios . as when i manually flashing using programmer it was on A04 latest is A19.

yes a service station would be the best . but where i live there are none. i have to take it ot he city and i do not know where to take it. i mean a reliable place and a place that wont charge you more by lying.

9. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    @raptorddd
    When you begin updating the Dell Precision M4600 Laptop BIOS, be sure to follow all the requirements, as people have had problems updating in the past because not all update requirements have been met.
    And another very important thing - you have to update all versions one after the other in chronological order, with you having to install all the so-called URGENT versions and you can skip only the other versions (these are usually marked Recommended).

10. case-sensitive

Nov 7, 2013
    >so giving all information isnt the best.? i mean i had to tell exactly what happened right.?

You didnt do that . What you say isnt clear and doesnt make sense .

11. raptorddd

raptorddd MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2019
    english isnt my language. yes true am a bit of a mess when trying to express or tell things sorry.

well it was running fine. but windows update break many things store would crash ect. so i decided to clean install windows using usb a microsoft official image.

while installing windows my pc got bricked. after it copied the files from the usb. the brick showed after it restarted and then it froze on the dell logo. the blue loading bar would fill up then freeze. i could not get past the dell logo. could not enter bios or diagnostics. a complete brick at dell logo. like i say i had installed using the same usb and image before. like 3 times.

but this isnt the first time i have faced a brick while installing windows 10 on 1909 i faced a brick about 2 years ago. it happened exactly the same way. i searched for a fix and didnt find any fix. this motherboard had the gpu fan socket broken. so got another motherboard wich is the one am trying to fix now.

ok so got bricked. found someone with the same problem and same pc model as mine. to recover the brick he manually flashed the bios using ch34a1 programmer
    i got a programmer to unbrick the pc. while trying to grab the chip to program it. i accidentally removed 2 micro sdm whle trying to grab the chip to program it.

i had someone locally that fixes phones to replace the smd from the old mother board to the new one. since the clamp didnt grab the chips i could not program it. i had him removed the chips and directly solder them to programmer to erase and flash bios files. i did the programming as he didnt know.
    then he solder them back on the motherboard.

so the pc got unbricked after flashing the bios manually with ch34a1 programmer.
    when i turn it on the first thing was i pressed f12 to enter bios. wich it did so laptop was unbricked. run diagnostics all test passed. then exited bios and let it boot into windows wich it did boot to desktop. and worked fine. but the next time i turned on pc i faced the freeze at the spining dots.

so instaled win 10 got bricked. got it unbricked then faced freeze on spining dots.
    so problem showed after i unbricked the biios. before that it was working fine.

12. raptorddd

raptorddd MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2019
    yes i read that in order to flash latest i needed to flash 08 first then i could do A19

13. raptorddd

raptorddd MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2019
    yes i agree likei said am not very good at explaining. i just wanted to make sure to give every detaiil.

14. raptorddd

raptorddd MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2019
  15. case-sensitive

Nov 7, 2013
    #15 case-sensitive, Feb 18, 2022
    What version are you trying to install ? Is your problem specific to just the version your trying to install ?

take the hard disk out
    attach it to another computer
    wipe the whole disk
    Check it with checkdisk / check program
    If its OK put it back in your computer
    try to boot it to the stick

if it wont boot
    start the computer and go to bios
    Set bios to factory default
    Restart with the USB stick attached

If it wont boot go back to bios and reorder the boot order
    Restart and see if it boots to the stick and starts to install
    If it does tell us how far it gets

If it wont go further than the dell screen you were talking about ( Its usualy a driver problem )
    Take the hard disk out
    attach it to another computer
    wipe it
    check it
    use dism to install win 10 to the hard disk
    put the hard disk back into your computer and try to boot it

other possibilitys =
    Try it with a different stick
    Try it with a different program than rufus
    try it with another win 10 version ........ one that you know installs properly
    put a back up in and try an in place update

if it wont boot forget it

16. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I strongly suggest first checking the Memory Modules for their functionality! As I already said, Windows is very sensitive about the used Memory Modules, even if they're shown perfectly using Memtest86!

1. clean the modules feet connectors using a soft Pencil-Rubber;
    2. check each of the memory modules separately one by one in all slots and look that Windows will start normally!

Again: if the BIOS will start fully and shows the correct Memory size, that did not mean that that module is good enough for Windows!

If you can, try to create a bootable USB-Flash Drive with Windows 10 on it and see that will boot and work fully, best would be, if you have an extra HDD, use that to install Windows 10 on it.

17. raptorddd

raptorddd MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2019
    What version are you trying to install ? Is your problem specific to just the version your trying to install ?
    version 21h2. but i also tried 1909. also tried 8.1 and win 11. they all have the same problem. but not on win 7.

i sent it to a repair shop to the city.

(If it wont go further than the dell screen you were talking about ( Its usualy a driver problem )
    not going past the dell logo was when it was bricked.. i have fixed it and unbricked by manually flashing the bios with progrmmer.

i sent it to a repair shop today to the city. but not sure if they will be able to fix it.
    thanks

18. raptorddd

raptorddd MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2019
    thanks as i mentioned before in above message i have sent it to a repair shop. lets see if they will be able to fix it.

ill let you guys know.

19. raptorddd

raptorddd MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2019
    the real problem in my opinion was the brick. ( not getting past dell logo not able to enter bios as it would freeze at dell logo)

after i got it unbricked by flashing bios files u52.bin and u53.bin (using ch34a1 programmer)
    and getting the brick fixed ( being able to enter bios and get past the dell logo).

thats when the freeze on windows logo and spining circle showed up.

so the problem in my opinion happened when it got brick or in the unbricked something its not right. but lets wait and see what the repair shop says. but i sti want to do research and see if someone had a simliar problem.. or maybe it could be a simple fix.. like bad hdd bad memory ect.

20. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Most likely this...