Windows 10 Insider Update

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by armadillotuff, Jul 12, 2015.

1. armadillotuff

armadillotuff MDL Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Having upgraded a windows 7 Pro and a Windows 8 Pro with 10162 with all of the other software for the various desktops and PC's they are all running without any problems. Microsoft updates have been applied and so far have not seen any problems. My question would be, if on the 29th the Insider's get the new software do we go thru another upgrade of the 10162, or would it be possible to get away with just Updates which would bring 10162 to a current build status? Or on the other hand we have to go thru an upgrade with the new Microsoft software?

2. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    I would rollback to previous operating system and wait for RTM on the 29th, why did you upgrade to anything but RTM :confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. armadillotuff

armadillotuff MDL Member

Feb 2, 2013
    I've asked this question Microsoft Insider thread and it appears that I'll be ok either way when the RTM comes out. Right now all the current updates are working fine on all the devices I have upgraded. So my worst scenario would be I have to upgrade again with the new RTM software, but if the updates work, I ahead of the game.

4. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    As normal they are talking about Installs and Upgrades, But not bothering to mention anything about Activation.

Which is the whole of getting the 'Free Upgrade' anyone can install it and run as 'Non Genuine' :rolleyes:

5. armadillotuff

armadillotuff MDL Member

Feb 2, 2013
    I've just posted this question back to Microsoft about the life of the upgrades with either the Windows 7 Pro or Windows 8 Pro activation Product Keys. As soon as I receive a reply I'll post it here.

6. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    @armadillotuff,
    Theres no point mate. :)

We are all aware that everyone, their grand mama and her dog. Can upgrade or do a clean install of Windows 10. But, its only those who upgrade from an 'Eligible' version of Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1 Update or Windows Phone 8.1 that will get it 'Activated'

But, for some reason MS staff won't say it clearly :confused:

7. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    I'd expect Windows Phone to upgrade over the preview. I'd be somewhat surprised if MS says go back to 8.1 and wait for your mobile carrier to release the upgrade.

8. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Yeah, in most cases it will.
    But there are a few Windows 10 Mobile ROM's going around, I doubt that they'll upgrade to the final/RTM build.

9. MinaJunior

MinaJunior MDL Junior Member

Aug 15, 2010
  10. armadillotuff

armadillotuff MDL Member

Feb 2, 2013
  11. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    It has already been said that if you are an Insider, you will upgrade to Windows 10 RTM and stay on the Insider programme.

However, if you are on the Insider programme and you clean Install 10 RTM, I wonder if it will be 'register' under the Insider Programme, or whether it will say your activation is running out? Of course, I realise you can log in to the Microsoft account, I'm just not sure whether it will 'acknowledge' that you are part of the Insider Programme. This is opposed to you running 10166 Insider Preview, logged into an active Microsoft account enabled with Inside Preview, and upgrading to Windows 10 RTM.

12. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    I believe you are missing the point, yes you can upgrade to win 10, if you have Windows 7 SP1 you can upgrade to RTM, you did not wait for RTM, if you do not have SP1 installed with 7 PRO, no you can't;
    How will I know if my computer can run Windows 10?

System requirements
    If you want to upgrade to Windows 10 on your PC or tablet, here’s what it takes.
    Latest OS: Make sure you are running the latest version either Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update.

A far as windows.old is concerned, I hope you have not removed it, it allows you to go back to previous OS, hope you have backup copy of Win 7, it HAS TO have SP1 (Service Pack 1) If you don't have SP1 on, you can download it at MS site in downloads center

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...