Windows 10 - Installation Key only?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Gooseberry, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Gooseberry

Gooseberry MDL Novice

May 8, 2015
    I am attempting to update my Intel Compute stick from a W10 technical preview version from July 2015 (left it in a box for a LONG time) to the latest version of Windows 10. I cannot boot from USB for some reason so my only shot is attempting to run the upgrade from within the old technical preview. When I do this, the upgrade utility asks me for a product key. I have tried some keys I personally own (Windows 10 Education, Windows 10 Pro) but they say the keys are invalid or not meant for this version. I have created my USB from the Windows media from the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft.

The fun part is that I have to keep changing the date to July 2015 in the BIOS in order to stop it from locking me out (messages about components being expired).

Any assistance with the key OR the Intel Compute Stick issue would be appreciated. This is my first time posting, I hope this format and board is OK.

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    1 have never heard that there is a computer that does not boot from USB stick;
    2. You do not need to enter any non-key;
    Use I do not have, or Skip

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Gooseberry

Gooseberry MDL Novice

May 8, 2015
    Well this is an Intel Compute Stick. This is much different than any computer I have ever owned. I do not see an option for 'Skip' or 'I do not have'. For Windows 7, there was a list of keys that could be used for install only and not activation. Does something like this not exist for Windows 10?

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    So the compustick (A small pc which directly is plugged in a HDMI port) has 10240 windows?

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #5 Enthousiast, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    When you upgrade you won't get the options to select "I don't have a productkey" or "skip", that only happens when installing from boot.

When upgrading it won't ask for any key if you use the correct windows version (home > home, pro > pro, etcetc...).

6. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Then there is something wrong, I do it very often and all the time have this capability. Last was two days ago. But of course you can use the installation code. What's the question.
    But I cannot understand , about which update or upgrade You're speking. You must install it, and most of all, the clean install is recommended.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Gooseberry

Gooseberry MDL Novice

May 8, 2015
    It actually has 10166 on it. I have not used it in a long time.

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  9. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
  10. Zaphire

Zaphire MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2009
    From the BIOS you have to go into the efi shell and boot your key from there.
    I would suggest reading all the Intel Forums on the stick - There have been some updates too depending on how old your stick is.