Windows 10 KMS Deactivation

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by armadillotuff, Aug 17, 2015.

1. armadillotuff

armadillotuff MDL Member

Feb 2, 2013
    I can't prove or disprove this error condition, but here's what I think happened. All of my Dell Laptops were activated with KMS 2.5.1 and all of them were upgraded from either Windows 7 or 8 Professional with the 2.5.1 activations which worked fine. When I removed the Windows.old folder from these Dell's because I had no intention of going backwards, it appears that the Windows activation failed and I got the message to Activate Windows.

What I did was uninstalled the KMS 2.5.1 and re-installed the KMS 2.6.1 and installed it and ran ez-activator. All of the Dell laptops came back with a current activation and a new Product Key.

Again I don't know if the cause was because I deleted Windows.old

2. Evides

Evides MDL Member

Apr 6, 2014
    I deleted Windows_old using Windows cleanup and I am still activated.
    Perhaps this happened because of manual deletion of the Windows_old folder..?

3. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    #3 odiebugs1, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    If you activated with KMS that means they were a Volume License version, the free upgrade is not for any Volume License or Enterprise.

Only retail non VL or OEM, products can upgrade for free.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Please-8

Please-8 MDL Junior Member

Sep 12, 2012
    I cannot confirm this:
    • I have an old Windows 7 OEM key activated notebook - upgraded without problems to Windows 10 and automatically activated.
      After activation slmgr -dlv shows: "Retail" channel.
    • I have a Windows 8.1 (legal) KMS key activated notebook - upgraded without problems to Windows 10 and automatically activated.
      After activation slmgr -dlv shows: "MAK" channel.