Windows 10 KMS Deactivation

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by armadillotuff, Aug 17, 2015.

1. armadillotuff

armadillotuff MDL Member

Feb 2, 2013
    I can't prove or disprove this error condition, but here's what I think happened. All of my Dell Laptops were activated with KMS 2.5.1 and all of them were upgraded from either Windows 7 or 8 Professional with the 2.5.1 activations which worked fine. When I removed the Windows.old folder from these Dell's because I had no intention of going backwards, it appears that the Windows activation failed and I got the message to Activate Windows.

What I did was uninstalled the KMS 2.5.1 and re-installed the KMS 2.6.1 and installed it and ran ez-activator. All of the Dell laptops came back with a current activation and a new Product Key.

Again I don't know if the cause was because I deleted Windows.old

2. Evides

Evides MDL Member

Apr 6, 2014
    I deleted Windows_old using Windows cleanup and I am still activated.
    Perhaps this happened because of manual deletion of the Windows_old folder..?

3. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    #3 odiebugs1, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    If you activated with KMS that means they were a Volume License version, the free upgrade is not for any Volume License or Enterprise.

Only retail non VL or OEM, products can upgrade for free.

4. Please-8

Please-8 MDL Junior Member

Sep 12, 2012
    I cannot confirm this:
    • I have an old Windows 7 OEM key activated notebook - upgraded without problems to Windows 10 and automatically activated.
      After activation slmgr -dlv shows: "Retail" channel.
    • I have a Windows 8.1 (legal) KMS key activated notebook - upgraded without problems to Windows 10 and automatically activated.
      After activation slmgr -dlv shows: "MAK" channel.