[DISCUSSION] Windows 10 legal activation meltdown

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by reb0rn, Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reb0rn

reb0rn MDL Junior Member

Mar 11, 2008
    I have win 10 PC x64 pro (on desktop) activated legaly upgrading from windows 10 preview in 2015 all that tied to my own microsoft account no issue till today
    after that I owned for some time Acer tablet with win8 upgraded to win10 home as its 8inc it was plain win10 install and also that tabled was tied with my same micosoft account (sold 1 year ago)
    I also owned Micosoft lumia phone with 8/10 system logged at same account (sold a year ago)

Why I say all that, because now I have firewall blocking some new activation file today and my PC get deactivated (never reinstalled just system update from 2015)
    and if I click on troubleshoot I get info that I have digital licence for Windows 10 Home???? and I am using 10 PRO

and I never had Home version on home PC only acer tablet and looks like my hwid is lost or changed (long time ago GPU and SSD was upgraded but that was a year ago), monkeys in M$ now try to tie my PC to that licence of acer tablet .......

error code is usual: 0xC004C003

I also own one MSDN key but I keep it for safekeeping so far and I would not like to use it

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    You said "was tied with my Microsoft account" and then said "sold 1 year ago"
    Were they both, what You sold, removed (untied) from Your Microsoft account or they got new owner, but they are still "tied with Your account"?
    If so, then may happen what ever, because new owner can make changes and all is stored to Your account. So maybe some of the new owners did some kind of changes and with this also the cahnges are made on your account. It is possible, if You sold Your pc, phone etc with Your login data, with Your login cookies etc.
    If You have legally activated products, then You can reactivate them. If needed, even to use new Microsoft account.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. reb0rn

reb0rn MDL Junior Member

Mar 11, 2008
    #3 reb0rn, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    (OP)
    I mean acer tablet with win10 home was sold (before that it was reset to default settings so not tied to my account and it was more then a year ago)

I only said that because its clear that my desktop now try to activate using that long gone (sold) tablet that once was loged in my microsoft account, As I never had any home version of windows in use at all

It could be glich that my windows now try to use microsoft account to activate and is trying to use licence from acer tablet and does not anymore check hwid for some reason for which it worked for past 3+ years

I know its confusing but in general acer which I owned from 2016 - 2017 should have nothing with my activation for my desktop (which is 24h used for past 3+ years with no reinstall nor mainboard change, only some idiots at microsoft could make some s**t f**k as that

Also if I now login in mu microsoft account I see there my PC (under device) and system and all looks fine, but there is now no info of licence or activation (they change this page all the time)
    is that just now info of logged in devices that are online on my account and list of licenced devices as in past I am not sure

4. holandash

holandash MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2017
    This has also happened to me and to some people on Reddit. I don't know what to do

5. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Go to Your Microsoft account and delete all, what should not be there.
    Then You must know, if there is something about activation installed in BIOS or is there some kind of HWID Activation possible. If so, then try to find an get to know, maybe there is home version activation stored.
    If not, then You must find another method to activate what can activate this version what You need.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. reb0rn

reb0rn MDL Junior Member

Mar 11, 2008
    #6 reb0rn, Nov 8, 2018
    (OP)
    All is deleted long time ago, now I only see my PC under device:
    Edition
    Windows 10 Professional
    Version
    OS Build
    Serial # System Serial Number

Ok on reddit the problem is reported by hour by dozen of ppl with same issue
    Open season free job at Microsoft no knowledge needed at all we or open to even ppl that know s**t as we are politicly correct 100%!

7. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    So, and Your computer shows - not activated or home version activated? And does it shows that " Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account"?
    (Settings => Update & Security => Activation).

8. reb0rn

reb0rn MDL Junior Member

Mar 11, 2008
    atm Not activated, yesterday it was digital licence pro activated

and if I try to activate again it say I have only valid Home digital licence and I need to downgrade OS to it

also some 5h ago firewall had outgoing request from some activation service, that`s how all started
    I am not sure of name as I restarted and log is gone

yeah i forgot had update wating on restart for a week
    "Same issue here. Only recent change is I rebooted today after small October update (KB4464330), was up for ~10 days."

9. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Then update, what is waiting, restart computer and if nothing changes, remove all internet connection and also remove all activations from computer. You must get not activated computer.
    Restart again and turn on the internet and login with Your Microsoft account. Now Your computer must activate again automatically, but it may take some time.

10. Anik Barua

Anik Barua MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2018
    off topic....can anyone provide me "windows activator" for my win 10 pro?

11. reb0rn

reb0rn MDL Junior Member

Mar 11, 2008
  12. will5

will5 MDL Senior Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Same problem here. Mine is a 2015 legal upgrade.

MS should stop doing mistakes for at least a week.

13. pauliewog

pauliewog MDL Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Mine did the same and I am legit! Microsoft has had a lot of f**k ups as of late. This company is going into the crapper in a hurry.

14. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #16 Joe C, Nov 8, 2018
    It's beginning to make Linux look like a better and more stable operating system for longer term use

The closer and closer I/we get to 2020 when Windows 7 is supposed to expire, And with Windows 10's relentless un-fixed bugs because of the eternal beta mind set from Microsoft ... I'm thinking that a Linux distro would be a much better choice for my computing needs in the future

15. Outcast

Outcast MDL Member

Mar 23, 2009
    This is the exact reason why one shouldn't get geniune Windows.

16. Labudovi

Labudovi MDL Novice

Jan 8, 2018
    #19 Labudovi, Nov 8, 2018
    That's a very radical move. I think, once you're a Windows user, you're always a Windows user. Once you're so intertwined with a operating system, how could you switch.

If "Microsoft" only considered to devise a new operating system, to get rid of the practically dead code, legacy junk and irrational new features. The company is oblivious to such idea because Windows isn't just "a" product, it's a national interest, i.e. Windows strong- NA strong.

17. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #20 Enthousiast, Nov 8, 2018
    From what i see, it only affects online windows accounts? With local windows account i have no problems with any of the HWID's i generated (by officially generated and the official HWID tool).

EDIT, also affects local windows account installs.