Windows 10 License Question

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Super Spartan, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    So I had a laptop with a Windows 10 Pro license, now I ordered a new laptop without a Windows 10 key

Mind you, I have previously logged into my Microsoft Account in the old laptop just to have my key registered to my account but the question is, now when I get the new laptop and install Windows 10 using that same key, how do I go about activation? Will I need to call Microsoft (phone activation) or would I need to login with my Microsoft Account to activate it on the new laptop?

What's the best way to go about this?

I won't be using the key on the old laptop

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    I think it was yesterday or the day before yesterday, someone asked about the same thing, but it is impossible to find.
    I think it would be wise to try the genuine ticket method, it was supposed to work perfectly. At least so was told there.
    Ie, to install the Windows 7 (or 8-8.1), activate it, then make a new Microsoft account (but not essential tha new, because this is new pc, which You can register also using old account), to install the Windows 10 using genuine ticket method, etc., I think I know how to.

If this don't work, You can ask Microsoft to change the activation and ask to change the pc, etc.
    Certainly, someone knows more techniques and methods.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
  4. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    I must note that my license is the OEM System Builders license that comes in a card box if that makes a difference.

5. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    New PCs have not come with any COA stickers (aka "key") since Windows 8 came out a few years ago... if the PC comes with Windows preinstalled, you should see a purple Windows sticker somewhere... the "key" is embedded in the BIOS permanently
    You don't need to know this key if you are installing Windows 10 if that is the case, because it will detect it and will install without asking

If you absolutely need to know this key, use a tool such as RW-Everything or Produkey

Otherwise, if it just have a SLIC 2.1 certificate embedded, you can install OEM Windows 7, then upgrade to get a digital entitlement license (people say it's still possible)

6. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
  7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #8 Joe C, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    Technically, I think Microsoft's EULA states that OEM licenses are tied to the motherboard. So if you replace the motherboard, you'll need a new license. They (M$) have had this policy for quite a awhile now but it is not enforced very effectively.
    So if you attempt to use your OEM license from another laptop to a different laptop, it might not work without doing an SLIC thing

8. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    With System Builder, it depends on where you are/legislation.

9. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #10 lobo11, Aug 18, 2016
  10. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    my system is EVOC AKA CLEVO, they don't come with product keys in the BIOS even if you opted to have a Windows 10 license

in this new order however, I chose not to get a separate product key since I have one already

11. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #12 lobo11, Aug 18, 2016
  12. gabrielmorrow

gabrielmorrow MDL Member

Jul 5, 2013
    bad news for you since its new laptop and your license is oem your have to buy a new license legaly speaking since oem licenses are tied to that device they are orginaly used on

your end up having to call microsoft support for actvation and be told to buy new license

online account activation is used for reinstalling windows 10 on same device it can not be used to transfer to new laptop

13. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

What news? This is how works since XP

And since XP the phone activation (directly or after a conversation with a MS rep) is enough to move the licence to the replaced MB.

Who minds to buy again a windows license just because a MB fault?

14. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    yeah the motherboard vendor is the same, even the model is almost the same

previous one was P870DM and the new one is P870DM3

CPU is the same, SSDs/HDDs are the same, RAM is the same, the only difference is the old system had a single 980 GTX (desktop class / no M) and the new system has 2x GeForce GTX 1080 in SLI

I'll try moving the license as I don't want to spend another $150 USD for a new product key

15. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #16 lobo11, Aug 18, 2016
    @Phoenix
    I'm sorry I thought first laptop had Win 10 Pro on it which is transferable and second or new laptop came with OEM, am I right or wrong, If first laptop had Win 10 Pro on it, not OEM then it is linked to your Microsoft Account and is transferable to new laptop through activation trouble shooter linking it to your Microsoft account which holds the key code, it has to be a Pro retail key code, which I thought it was.

16. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #18 lobo11, Aug 18, 2016
    I thought this was a retail copy of Pro, he did not say Free copy in OP:D
    From above link,
    Retail licenses of Windows 10 you purchase can be moved between PCs