Windows 10 Licensing

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Smorgan, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #1 Smorgan, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  2. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    It's FREE for a year.

Click on activate, using a KMS tool.:biggrin:

3. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    I had to wait and think of the best way to respond. I can activate any copy of Windows basically in my sleep. Hell I'm just curious how it differs from 8.1 on the file / service / etc level. I want the minutia of the plan as Rocket would say.

The goal of this will be to see how at the most basic level possible how the activation system for 10 differs from windows 8.1. Along with how it upgrades an oem activation emulation (think loader) into a genuine system under 10.

4. frepsz

frepsz MDL Junior Member

Aug 26, 2014
    If you can get info on it (maybe by network traffic analysis), an interesting piece of information would be what exactly stores Microsoft on the activation server. Is it some machine hash only? How is it generated? Any other info stored? Anything that lets them identify you? Are IPs or anything else logged with it?

I mean official, legit upgrade activation, not KMS.

5. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    That's free, it's only for a year, then it's back to business as usual, so there's really no reason to try and break it. But it should be very close to 8, and so far it is, only 7 has a BIOS insert. I have a feeling they'll change KMS, but that won't work for long.

6. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Just being literal. There hasn't been an OEM break for 8.1, so I'd think it's going to be the same using a MAK or the VL pro with KMS, maybe they'll change it and make it harder to emulate.

7. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #7 Smorgan, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    (OP)
    What I've sketched out at the moment is a couple methodologies for what I'm going to store in the licensing arena. We can use the GVLK key for Windows 7 going to Windows 10 because that is super legit activation. We would be using the default key and watching to see what happens.

On the Server side yes I can tell you what windows sends over to their servers. It would probably involve taking apart some of the local files. My only request for putting this info out there is that this thread stays clean. No one starts to go crazy concerning information that is stored.

Now concerning what we reasonably have access to. We can figure out exactly what is stored on the local and server side. Locally we can take apart the files along with mapping out the activation system. This means we trace the data flow from the machine to the server. The exact nature of the activation means we track the token that is sent to the MS servers. Now as far as I'm aware we have discussed this in chat but I don't think its ever been put on paper thread wise.

8. frepsz

frepsz MDL Junior Member

Aug 26, 2014

It's about deciding whether or not sending you machine id and whatever else to MS is good idea. Maybe using KMS is safer than using the legit method.

9. deagles

deagles MDL Developer

Feb 22, 2013
    Nothing that can identify you directly, but yes your activating ip address IS stored on ms servers.

10. deagles

deagles MDL Developer

Feb 22, 2013
  11. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #11 Smorgan, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    (OP)
    For the time being lets presume you used an OS from earlier such as Windows 7. This information like your IP was sent to MS anyway. What has changed? The thought that the telemetry has been updated to include more? Probably. However lets get down to brass tax. The option to have a legal OS should always be the first option if it is free. KMS is just local activation however it still doesn't change the fact that it is not a genuine means of purchasing the software. People will say well its a gray area when it really isn't.

We are looking into this because I'm genuinely curious of how the activation works when upgrading in person. I could ask daz about the upgrade process n so forth but then I wouldn't learn ;). I basically don't care what people think in regards to input on this. I have a plan set in place to do the research and so forth. I'm just being nice in posting the info online to get it double checked :p

In other words don't you dare infect this thread with the telemetry crap going around. I will take a crow bar of honesty and beat people with it. The fear mongering will not happen in this thread.