Windows 10 - Log Off & Shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by vze2mp9g, Dec 3, 2017.

1. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Hello,
    I'm running Win10 64bit. Can anyone inform me how I can Log Off and shut down all in one. Right now, I log off and then I can sut down.

I would really appreciate it if anyone can tell me how Log Off & shut down..

Thank You! :)

2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If you JUST use Shut down, you already automatically logged off! Got it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    #4 TairikuOkami, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017

Attached Files:

5. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Can someone explain in layman terms what is this about?

I mean, for me this
    is the right answer.

But then comes @TairikuOkami so...

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    You could just go the short way, and if that's too fast for you, take the longer one! Or, easy or complicated, it's just up to the user!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    Whenever someone post a question I try to deduce, what the actual problem is based on the description. :g:
    Sometimes people simply ask the wrong question, because they lack the knowledge of the subject, so it is confusing.
    Like when I say to a doctor, that my liver hurts, he says, that it is not where your liver is, but he understands the problem.

8. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Simple answer: Shutting down INCLUDES Logoff of the user.

9. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    :tooth: Yeah we all know

On the other hand I'm still waiting OP to clarify...

10. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Yes, it was my mistake. I'll try to make it a little clearer.

When you go to the Start button and do a LEFT click, then go to the POWER menu, it gives you three choices:

1. SLEEP
    2. SHUT DOWN
    3. RESTART

All three options will not log you off, because when you turn you computer on again, the last user's will still be logged in.

When you go to the Start button and do a RIGHT click, then go to the POWER menu, it gives you eighteen choices:
    Choose the second one from the bottom, Shut down or sign off. The you will have four choices:

1. SIGN OFF
    2. SLEEP
    3. SHUT DOWN
    4. RESTART

All I want to do is to is 1. SIGN OFF, then 3. SHUT DOWN all in one action.

If anyone has any more questions and/or concerns, I'll be happy to try to be more clear.
    Thank you for all your inputs so far.
    Thanks. :cool:

11. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    You explained how to use the power menus, alright. Now tell us why you want to logoff first then shut down.

12. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Microsoft has not changed these settings, and all of these buttons always log off all users. If you have a different one, you have either have changed the settings yourself or someone, who still has administrator privileges, have changed them.
    Restore the default settings and everything is resolved.
    And more, You cannot change the logging out settings, but You can change logging in settings, ie You have set to login automatically, instead to ask for logging in data from user.
    You can also make shutdown (restart etc) button(s) on desktop or on taskbar and use them, but these are only buttons and will do the same. They don't change settings.

For example shutdown button
    %SystemRoot%\System32\shutdown.exe /f /s /t 00
    where f means forced shutdown, s means shutdown task, t means time in seconds, when shutdown begins if You have pushed the button. 00 means at once, 60 means after one minute, 120 means two minutes etc.
    if You want to make restart button, replace only /s to /r
    If You look for icon, You'll get it from %SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll

But remember, it is only button, it will not change settings.

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    @vze2mp9g:

Within the settings in Control Panel, is some option to use Password to reconnect even after Log off, Sleep etc.! That you need to enable if you didn't like the auto Log on!!

14. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
  15. supervergil

supervergil MDL Novice

Nov 18, 2012
    ah.. are you a domain connected user?
    try this:

Windows+R > secpol.msc > Enter > Local Policy > Security Options > Interactive logon: Do not display last user name > Enabled

16. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    I have no idea if I'm a domain connected user. What I do have when I'm logging on to my computer is that I log on with my MS outlook.com user.
    Thanks, I'll be back to let everyone know if their suggestion worked.
    Thanks for everyone who made suggestions.
    Okay, I want to log off and shut down because of security reasons. If anyone turns my computer and my name pops up, all they would have to do is guess my password and they can use my computer. I run a small business with about ten employees using the same computer.

17. IsaacFL

IsaacFL MDL Novice

Apr 9, 2017
    I am not sure if this is what OP about, but starting in Windows 10 16251, after a restart, Windows will automatically log the account in again. So if I am in user1 account, restart Windows, then after it is completed, login with user2 account, if I look in the task manager under users, I will see user1, is still logged in.

So no longer true, that Shutdown also logs you out.

This is a new feature, that is getting some blowback, there is a fix, but this forum won't let me post the link.

go to TenForums and search for "User Accounts Use sign-in info to auto finish after Update or Restart in Windows 10"