Windows 10 Login Screen Issue

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Anthony Accioly, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Anthony Accioly

Anthony Accioly MDL Novice

Nov 19, 2017
  2. joluboga

joluboga MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Or just wait a little for someone more knowledgeable to answer? :dunno:

3. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    I also searched for this online with 0 results

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    It happens, if You've installed new version using Windows Update. There should be much more similar errors, which You probably haven't discovered yet.
    This isn't Windows 10 1709 error, but the registry still contains data from previous version, which are different from currently installed version data and not allows current Windows run correctly. The only way to repair is the new clean install.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    You can try this: open regedit, and go here -- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Personalization. If there is no string called LockScreenImage, create it, and set value to path to your image. If it still changes go to permissions in personalization, change ownership to you, remove everything else, and set your permissions to read only.

It took me less than a second to find this online with google. Google is your friend! :)

6. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    I would advise not to use this outdated method so as not to cause further problems.
    Everything what glitters, isn't still gold.

7. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    It shouldn't cause any problems, and the string value can easily be deleted if it does not work.

8. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
  9. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    Whenever I pick that, it switches back to Picture.

Attached Files:

10. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Try this:
    Open System in the Control Panel or by pressing the Windows and Break keys at the same time.
    Click on Advanced system settings link. It will open the System Properties box.
    In the Advanced tab, click on Settings under the Performance heading.
    Check the “Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing” checkbox and click on OK.
    Then try your Picture on the Lock Screen.

11. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Can you tell how to do this if the so-called "Break Key" is only used by Fn key (for example Dell) or if is used with the combination CTRL+ALT+ESC+Fn+Right SHIFT keys (HP) etc?

12. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Just go to system through control panel. type control in the run dialog box, and press enter, then click on system.

13. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
  14. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I just installed FCU in Hyper-V and had no issue changing lock screen.

15. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    yeah me too, on a clean install that is. The OP's issue I guess is that he upgraded from the Anniversary update to FCU

16. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    In this I'm agree with @dhjohns, it is absolutely right, there is no problem with lock screen images and this is not an OS (FCU) problem.
    But one is clear, there is some changes and You cannot use old tools and solutions.

17. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    so a format and clean install is the only way to fix this?

18. Rickta

Rickta MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2017
    Clean install failed to fix this for me its an OS (FCU) issue