Windows 10 Logs me Out when I switch HDMI input of TV

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Nubio, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Nubio

Nubio MDL Novice

Oct 21, 2009
    i recently built a new HTPC running WIn 10 Pro...the issue i'm having is if i'm doing something on the HTPC, (like copying a bunch of data from external HDD to internal HDD), and i switch my HDMI input to my cable box to watch TV, after a few minutes when i switch back to the HTPC, i'm logged out of Windows and the process i had running (ie. copying data) has been "paused" until i log back in?!?!?

and i even have the setting disabled that requires users to enter username and password to log into to their account...i actually don't even have a password set up to log in to windows, so when i switch back to the HTPC input, i have to hit enter to log-in without even having to enter a PW...when i reboot, the log-in screen is bypassed, and no log-in is required

i do have a screensaver that kicks in after 45 minutes, that also does not require a PW, but the log-out i'm describing seems to happen after only 10-15 minutes....but if i keep the TV display set to the HTPC, i don't get logged out while doing these long activities (ie. copying data)

any idea what could be causing this?

2. prashantsays

prashantsays MDL Member

Jun 13, 2016
    Atleast mention the os version

3. Nubio

Nubio MDL Novice

Oct 21, 2009
    Windows 10 Pro x64...with all the latest updates

4. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    What version of 10 Pro, 1803 or 1809, or something else? Be more specific because the version matters.

5. kmmng

kmmng MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2009
    Go to Power Options, set sleep\standby timer to Never.

6. Nubio

Nubio MDL Novice

Oct 21, 2009
    Win10 Pro, 1803, build 17134.345

7. eemuler

eemuler MDL Senior Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Try with a Windows password set. Weird things happen that are related to HDCP over HDMI.

8. Nubio

Nubio MDL Novice

Oct 21, 2009
    ok, i'll try when i get home this evening...thanks

9. Nubio

Nubio MDL Novice

Oct 21, 2009
    also noticed that if i was downloading from newsgroups, and switched HDMI to TV, when i came back to HTPC, the download was stopped and i was disconnected form usenet....grrrr

so i added a Windows password, and set sleep/standby to never....i think that may have solved the problem

but i do notice that when i switch from the HTPC to the TV, or vice-versa, Windows makes the sound that you hear when connecting and disconnecting external devices...is that normal?

10. jinvidia

jinvidia MDL Member

Aug 7, 2016
    Just give details of the setup mate. You Have connected htpc to one hdmi port of your tv and the cable box to another hdmi port of tv. Isnt it ?. If that is the case your tv must be getting inputs from both the your htpc and cable box. Just switch tv input to your desired device and it should work. But if switching tv source is giving the issue you have stated, you may try looking for settings in the hdmi setup of your tv. IMO, some tvs may have a power saving feature to turn off the devices input if the tv is not using that hdmi port.
    Btw what is the brand and model of your tv ?

What is the motherboard or gpu you are using. Is that onboard or discrete graphics ?. You Have to provide info about your pc hardware m8, else it will be difficult to find a solution.

11. Nubio

Nubio MDL Novice

Oct 21, 2009
    #11 Nubio, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    (OP)
    the mobo is a Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro with AMD Ryzen 5 2400G APU...using the chip's onboard graphics...TV is a 10 yo 61" JVC

yes, HTPC goes into one HDMI port of TV, cable box into another HDMI port...the problem is when i switch my TV's HDMI source from the HTPC to the tv tuner, the HTPC seems to either want to log out of windows, or at least go to sleep or something, causing any processes i have running to stop/pause (ie. file transfers, internet downloading, etc.)....if i keep the TV's display source as HTPC, these processes will run fine until completion....so it seems like when my HTPC notices the TV is not displaying it's HDMI signal, it just stops/pauses what it's doing

with my previous 10 year old HTPC, which had a separate video card, also running Win 10 Pro, and using the same TV, i never had this problem....switching TV inputs had no impact on what the HTPC was doing

12. jinvidia

jinvidia MDL Member

Aug 7, 2016
    If you have any other HDMI enabled devices like media players or a laptop just swap your cable tv box for that and check.
    BTW, did you first check disconnecting your PC's HDMI cable at the TV end while file transfers and check if windows logs out ?