Windows 10 LTSC ignoring telemetry settings

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MrManH, Sep 17, 2020.

1. MrManH

MrManH MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2019
    Hi everyone,

Recently I started noticing that some telemetry settings in WPD and ShutUp10 never persist after a restart.

I found out that whenever the computer is restarted:
    -the service "Connected User Experiences and Telemetry" becomes Automatic again in services.msc
    -the registry key AllowTelemetry reverts from 0 (security) to 1 (basic) in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection
    -Diagnostics data in Control Panel/Privacy/Diagnostics & feedback confirms that "Basic" is in fact selected

I don't know when this behavior started, but I'm seeing it on my two Windows 10 LTSC computers with the latest patches. One has Microsoft Office 2019 (Excel, Word, Powerpoint), the other one Microsoft Office 365 (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook). Just thought I'd mention that in the event that Microsoft office is responsible for this.

The shadiest thing about all this is that gpedit.msc does not reflect these changes. There, "Allow Telemetry" always appears set to 0 (security) when in fact the registry and Privacy GUI show otherwise.

Does anyone have any idea what other service might be re-enabling and resetting telemetry settings? I made sure I also had CEID disabled.

Thanks!

2. petok

petok MDL Senior Member

May 4, 2009
    You need change registry parts for logs and telemetry options this is cause enable and automatic after restart or start pc.

3. MrManH

MrManH MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2019
    I made the DiagTrack and DataCollection keys read-only and so far it seems to persist after reboots. Is this what you're talking about?

4. petok

petok MDL Senior Member

May 4, 2009
    No, this is other registry keys where is enabled tracking and logging so for disable is need change from 1 to 0.
    Then will stop start diagtrack and DataCollection be 0.
    But I have not yet gathered all the information about them which is why maybe some are vital to the system some are not.
    I can give you the paths from them, so make your experiments.

5. MrManH

MrManH MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2019
    Did you send me this link so that I would read this section specifically?

"Required diagnostic data, previously labeled as Basic, gathers a limited set of data that’s critical for understanding the device and its configuration. This data helps to identify problems that can occur on a specific hardware or software configuration. For example, it can help determine if crashes are more frequent on devices with a specific amount of memory or that are running a specific driver version."

Because otherwise all this article says is that telemetry is great, and a quick mention of gpedit which I discovered no longer works as intended.

6. MrManH

MrManH MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2019
    I think for now I'm more comfortable addressing the symptom by blocking registry changes rather than getting to the root cause and making potentially dangerous changes to other parts of the OS. The OS worked fine for a long time with "Connected User Experiences and Telemetry" disabled and Telemetry set to 0, so I think my change maintains this for now.

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Always best to read everything very carefully in any linked official msft article.
    It doesn't say telemetry is great, it's gives an example in which scenario it can be useful.
    :thinking: the article is from July 2020.

8. MrManH

MrManH MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2019
    I'm pulling your leg a little ;) Microsoft always gives convincing reasons as to why they need more of our data, but the fact is that W10 and Windows Updates worked just fine for me without this service in the past.

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Probably because the majority of the global users don't tinker with it and the technical info gets collected and used by MSFT.

In the past that was "send this report...?", only annoying but no biggie.

Not defending big tech companies, though.

10. MrManH

MrManH MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2019
    #12 MrManH, Sep 17, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    (OP)
    I agree with you. Anyway, until someone posts a better solution, here's more details about what I did:

DIAGTRACK
    In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DiagTrack
    Switch the "Start" value to 4 (4 = disabled service)
    Then change the permissions on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DiagTrack to remove Full Control for all users including yourself. If you can't make these changes, you might have to take ownership.

TELEMETRY SETTING
    In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection
    Switch the "AllowTelemetry" value to 0 (0 = security)
    Like with DIAGTRACK, change the permissions on Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection to remove Full Control for all users including yourself.

Restart the computer, services.msc should show that "Connected User Experiences and Telemetry" is still disabled, and Windows Settings/Privacy/Diagnostics & feedback should show no option selected (basic & full) in Diagnostic data.

11. petok

petok MDL Senior Member

May 4, 2009
    And add this for more secure turn off complete DiagTrack

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\Autologger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener
    Turn off "Start" value from 1 to 0

12. MrManH

MrManH MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2019
    Thanks, much appreciated! I'll update this thread if I encounter anything new or an unexpected reactivation of the service or telemetry level.

13. MrManH

MrManH MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2019
    #15 MrManH, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    (OP)
    As a matter of fact, here's the last ShutUp10 setting that wouldn't persist after a restart.

In Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\DataCollection
    Switch the "AllowTelemetry" to 0
    Then like in my previous post, change the permissions on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\DataCollection to remove Full Control for all users including yourself.

This takes care of all the ShutUp10 settings that would not persist.

Any thoughts on the following keys that are not targeted by WPD or ShutUp10?
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection

14. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    As far as I know, Office uses standalone telemetry settings, so it might be the cause indeed.
    I use this and no problems here.
    Code:
    rem Connected User Experiences and Telemetry
    sc config DiagTrack start= disabled

reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\Autologger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener" /v "Start" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\Autologger\DiagLog" /v "Start" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\Autologger\Diagtrack-Listener" /v "Start" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f

rem Diagnostic and usage data - Select how much data you send to Microsoft / 0 - Security (Not aplicable on Home/Pro, it resets to Basic) / 1 - Basic / 2 - Enhanced (Hidden) / 3 - Full
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\DataCollection" /v "AllowTelemetry" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT\Channels\Microsoft-Windows-Application-Experience/Program-Telemetry" /v "Enabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection" /v "AllowDeviceNameInTelemetry" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection" /v "AllowTelemetry" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection" /v "DoNotShowFeedbackNotifications" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection" /v "MaxTelemetryAllowed" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\DataCollection" /v "AllowTelemetry" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f

rem 1 - Let Microsoft provide more tailored experiences with relevant tips and recommendations by using your diagnostic data
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Privacy" /v "TailoredExperiencesWithDiagnosticDataEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CloudContent" /v "DisableTailoredExperiencesWithDiagnosticData" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Privacy" /v "TailoredExperiencesWithDiagnosticDataEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f

rem Feedback Frequency - Windows should ask for my feedback: 0 - Never / Removed - Automatically
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Siuf\Rules" /v "NumberOfSIUFInPeriod" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Siuf\Rules" /v "PeriodInNanoSeconds" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f

Attached Files:

16. tonemgub1

tonemgub1 MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2021
    I found this thread from Startpage looking for turning telemetry off in LTSC, there doesn't seem to be many threads on this issue with actual useful replies, not sure how current this still is? But seriously, why would anyone even use office in 2019 (or 2021), Libreoffice exists (openoffice got renamed) that's like using Microsoft Encarta, really...