Windows 10 LTSC WiFi spikes

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by sebasura, May 30, 2020.

1. sebasura

sebasura MDL Novice

Apr 5, 2018
    #1 sebasura, May 30, 2020
    Last edited: May 30, 2020
    Hi, I've been having this issue for a long time but I never thought it could be related to W10 LTSC.
    I play CS:GO via WiFi and I get lag spikes every 2min or so. I'm near the modem/router and I don't have noticeably low speed on day-to-day tasks. The problem is only noticeable in games. I thought it could be my ISP, they came in and said nothing was wrong. Then I though I could be because of the WiFi signal, but it's not bad at all. So I tried using other computer (with Ubuntu) and I did a ping on Google at the same time in both PCs. Only the PC with W10 LTSC had the ping spikes. I don't know if this is LTSC-only related, 'cause I don't remember when I started using it. This happens on a fresh install too. I used KMS from this forum to activate W10, btw.

My ping goes up to around 200-230ms every 2min aprox. And my task manager doesn't show any particular process using the network at that time, it just shows 0% network usage and the process is System or Service Host: DNS Client.

Screenshot: htt _ ps://prnt.sc/sqpb9m

I also can't get into safe mode to diagnose better (with/without network settings), the option isn't there, and if I try to edit the boot with bdcedit, the prompt says it couldn't find the files (maybe I broke something when dual-booting with Arch Linux, I remember I had an issue with booting Windows and solved it).

Any ideas on what could it be?

2. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Hello @sebasura - I had a similar problem a while back. When you mentioned you used a different computer with Ubuntu installed as a comparison, the little light bulb in my head came on.

Keep in mind not all laptop wifi antennas are created equal. My HP Envy laptop with Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC installed has mediocre download speeds, averaging 10-20 Mbps, 25Mbps at best. Meanwhile, my old Lenovo T400 which dual boots Windows 7 and Linux Mint, averages 30-50 Mbps, sometimes even as high as 70-75 Mbps with Windows 7! At first, I thought the problem was only related to using Windows 10. But after analyzing the wifi signal strength with inSSIDer by MetaGeek, I found that the Lenovo T400 had a much better wifi signal strength, at least 10-15 dbm higher than the HP Envy. That difference, coupled with the distance from my wifi router, was the reason the HP was so bad compared to the Lenovo. Surprising when you consider the Lenovo has a 14" screen and the HP has a 17" screen, you would think the HP has more room behind the screen and therefore would have a larger wifi antenna. So much for logic.

Another thing I found by using inSSIDer: I was on the same wifi channel as the majority of my neighbors, channel 1. This is probably the default router setting from the ISP and no one bothers to change it. So I changed my router to use channel 11 instead, since only 2 other people in the neighborhood use it. You're getting less interference if you're sharing a channel with 2 other people instead of 12 other people.

Look around, inSSIDer is not free software, but older versions are available for free from websites like Softonic and MajorGeeks. Try that before attempting to tweek your wifi settings in Windows 10, since no amount of tweeking can help if it's a hardware related issue..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sebasura

sebasura MDL Novice

Apr 5, 2018
    I see, I considered that as well, but this is a Dell M4600 and I've used it in the past under almost the same conditions. Gaming on WiFi, not too far away from the modem/router, etc. That's why I think it might be a Windows related issue. I'll download the program you mentioned though, just to check. Thanks.
    Oh and I checked the channels (as did the guy from my ISP) and that's fine.

4. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. sebasura

sebasura MDL Novice

Apr 5, 2018
    #5 sebasura, May 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    (OP)
    I did everything you said, and it still persists. Here are some of the settings you mentioned:
    All other protocols disabled: htt_ps://prnt.sc/sr670t
    Delivery optimization: htt_ps://prnt.sc/sr67g3

I'm always on performance mode, and I ran your script, but the problem still persists.
    Also, it's not a Steam thing 'cause I can detect this with a ping to any site.
    And this didn't happen before. I don't remember exactly WHEN it started, that's why I suspect of W10 Enterprise LTSC.

Thanks!
    ---------------
    EDIT: I tested the issue on the same PC (meaning I used an Ubuntu live usb and did a ping). No issues, so it's almost definitely OS related.

EDIT2: After I made the changes I forgot to restart, but then I did it and now the issue is gone. I don't know if it was the disabling of other network services or what. Why would that happen? I'm so curious.
    SOLVED. THANKS.