Windows 10 Media Tool1903

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Deleted member 578156, May 23, 2019.

1. #1 Deleted member 578156, May 23, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2019
    I am not sure if Microsoft has corrected the mistake of not delivering totally polished off ISOs day one release of the 1903 May release of Windows 10 through the Windows Media Tool but it has definitely been an issue as I experienced it and had talked directly to a Microsoft Tech about it. A final release of Windows 10 x64 1903 build 18362.30 MDSN ISO weighs in at 4.8 gigabytes. The ISO I was getting through the tool wasn`t even close to that. I ended up getting a true MDSN ISO from another location but I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same issues. I ISO I got through the tool was crashing on fresh installs saying files were missing in the install and would not let me continue, The tech I spoke to put in a case order to have it addressed but I`m not sure if it has been as of yet. Now this is only an issue I noticed with the media tool as I have not experienced this anywhere else.

2. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    The MCT uses ESD format for distribution of the 'install.xxx' file this is why the file size is lower due to the extra compression used.

Normal MS Iso's use .wim format which has less compression than the .esd format.

As for a 'polished' release, when has w10 even been 'perfect' :p any remaining bugs etc are usually sorted via the Cumulative Updates etc over time after the initial release.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. #3 Deleted member 578156, May 23, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2019
    (OP)
    The ISO wouldn`t even install as I got errors the key files in the install were missing and I am aware of the compression difference sorry if my last post it sounded a little misleading. How can you apply an update if you can`t even install it in the first place and also I downloaded it as an iso right from the tool its self and the size of the iso was 400 megs shy. But I read you post very close and I understand what your saying but that doesn`t explain corrupt ISOs. Thanks for explaining!

4. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    was the ISO from a Microsoft source, did the Hashes match etc?

Only time i had a 'bad iso' was many years ago in the XP days, but that was down to a dodgy download site i used.

I not heard of any m$ iso having missing files as such, although i guess it could happen with all the iso's they have created.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. That`s the first thing I checked and the they did not not match and that's what puzzled the tech I spoke to and that is why he has put in a order the have that checked out. Well I got the media tool from windows insiders since I am one I got it from there.

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    From where did you get that original MSDN iso?

MCT is meant for end-users, to upgrade their system or create an iso for doing so, not for people who want to modify/update it offline, that's what the techbench/MVS iso's are meant for.

7. The tech I spoke to gave me an alternate link to download the Final release iso but I can`t for the life of me remember the address now. I went ahead and checked the hash and the iso I now have is a true release.

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  9. All I am doing here is letting everyone at MDL thar if the may be experiencin
    I am also an MDSN subscriber
    Well it helps when you have friends that are MDSN Subscribers

10. Anyway I was just trying to help people on MDL that may be having issues with the tool.

11. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #11 Enthousiast, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
    The tool downwloads these ESD files (consumer x86/x64 only): https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-10-esd-repository.59082/#post-992532

You can grab it in the C:\ESD\Download folder of the systemdrive, the list, linked to above, shows the sha-1 in the filename, that's the only part where you can verify it uses the correct source ESD for the iso creation.
    The iso's, created by the MCT can't be verified, they are unique.

12. Thankyou!