Windows 10 Memory Footprint

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by bay12, Sep 10, 2015.

1. bay12

bay12 MDL Junior Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Hi All,
    i've been using windows 10 since rtm and this is my configuration applied to install.wim before installing windows:

1) removed all metro/universal crap app using dism
    2) removed some components (using dism) like: cortana, defender, speech, onedrive etc

I was using this configuration/tweaks also with windows 8.1 and this gives me a lightweight os for a perfect desktop experience.

Now that's my point: comparing win 10 memory usage with win 8.1, it seems that 10 is using much more memory even after the boot.

Tested as following:

Fresh install with no programs installed, only video drivers.

1)After booting win 8.1 uses around 580/650mb of memory while win 10 uses 650/700 mb

2) Installed Chrome, surfing internet for a bit, when i close chrome, in win 8.1 the memory usage goes down to 580/650mb while in win 10 stays high...sometimes even more than 700mb with no apps or programs running.

Have you noticed this behaviour?
    Any explanation?

2. Sakuya

Sakuya MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    It's called caching, it does it to provide faster response to apps/programs that you use the most.
    As for Chrome, it's always been a memory intensive leak.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jeff69dini

jeff69dini MDL Expert

Nov 22, 2008
    I posted a month or so ago about the same thing, even 7 uses less ram on my system than 10, I reverted back to 7 in fact, boot up and shut down was atrocious in 10, 7 is lightning quick

4. MrTweakFreak

MrTweakFreak MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I'm not sure if this has anything in common/to do with it but when browsing the web (using IE) and having around 10+ tabs opened, Windows 10 (Enterprise N 2015 LTSB) eventually throws a Critical Error saying it has run out of memory o_O

This when i have more than 50% of the available RAM (which is 16GB).

Before this problem occurs, Internet Explorer often acts strange by not remembering i was signed in at various websites.

5. bay12

bay12 MDL Junior Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Well i'm not using win7 for long time so i can't compare.
    I've been using 8.1 which with startisback++ and all the removal of metro crap gives me an optimized version of windows 7 (the metro interface never shows up).

The ram usage with win 10 is even worse when activating the hyper-v feature, while in win 8.1 is not that bad.

I'm seriously thinking to go back to 8.1...

6. bay12

bay12 MDL Junior Member

Nov 30, 2014

don't know what to say..never happened to me...and i've used both win 10 pro and Ent LTSB with 16gb ram...but i use chrome

7. MrTweakFreak

MrTweakFreak MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I'm sure a different browser can make a huge difference, thanks anyway :)