Windows 10 new install asks me to set Customized Settings twice, why?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by 90, Nov 3, 2015.

1. 90

90 MDL Member

Aug 21, 2015
    When I installed Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB from ISO during launch date, it had no problem.
    Now when I install the same Windows 10 ISO on the same computer freshly formatted, there is a problem with the customization of install settings. After it asks me to choose Express or Customized settings, and I customize the settings (turning everything to off for privacy), it hangs for a minute and flashes the desktop for a second, then reboots. It then asks me to do the customize settings again. It accepts the customized settings the second time round.
    Why is it doing this now, when it did not before? Nothing changed, identical hardware. Network cable is unplugged.
    I am afraid it is some new virus hijacking the Windows 10 during the install process. Of course running anti virus program finds nothing, could it be some undetectable virus?

2. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    Maybe you didn't insert product key in the beginning of the installation.

3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @cuteee

Enterprise(S) SKUs come with pre-installed key.

4. 90

90 MDL Member

Aug 21, 2015
    It is not a key problem, I installed the same ISO on other computers and none of them have the reboot after customized settings. It is only happening to one computer, which had no such problem when Windows 10 was installed 3 months ago.

I did not format from NTFS to NTFS, I booted from ISO and asked it to delete the existing partitions, and install to the empty drive. It automatically creates a 500mb partition and installed Windows in the remaining space. I do not think cleaning the drive with diskpart is related to my problem?

5. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Maybe re download an proper iso for install could save you some time don't know where you've got this one from but try the X files @ stickies

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Windows formatted, there's no difference whether you run format or do what you did, the drive is only formatted. You will not find an answer why it happened and never be able to take an answer if one was posted and get it to recreate that situation consistently on any machine.

7. 90

90 MDL Member

Aug 21, 2015
    It is a proper ISO, I got it from some vietnamese forum on google but the MD5 and SHA1 hashes match the official, so it must be proper right? I do not think it is a disk cleaning problem either, it is installed on a SSD not a HDD, and I remember doing a secure erase on the SSD once before installing, it still has the double customized settings. My intuition tells me it is either a benign bug, or a virus hiding in my motherboard reinstalling itself on every new Windows 10 installation. Naturally I want to rule out the latter for my peace of mind.

8. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    If you suspect there is an virus in your motherboard why not re flash the bios to be sure ? I have my doubt's about that it is an virus there must be something else that causing it but at this time I could not say what :tea:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
  10. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    This problem has been posted about before. It's just something that happens. I'd had it happen and not happen on the same Rig. No clue Why, but it doesn't cause any problems .

11. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Happens to me too, I just assumed it was starting OOBE again after a reboot, minor bug maybe

12. 90

90 MDL Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Have reflashed the motherboard bios, changed video card, no difference to the double customized settings problem.
    I am glad 2 other people now say they experienced the same thing. I searched and cannot find the previous post about the problem, can you find the post of previous discussion on it?
    Someone plugged his usb stick into my computer shortly before the problem started, I need to make sure it is not a persistent virus, the #1 sign of a virus is strange things happening to the computer like this.

13. embasie

embasie MDL Novice

Feb 14, 2013
    There was a thread about this before. Yeah, it happens to lot of users.

14. yomoma2

yomoma2 MDL Senior Member

Feb 27, 2010
    It always happens to me in one computer with the original 10240 rtm iso. In a normal installation, that reboot won't happen and the screen to create a new user will appear instead.
    With an iso made from the 10240 th1_refresh rtm .esd, this bug happens no more. Neither with a few tested 105xx builds.

15. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    It's not a Virus, Trojan, Rootkit, Worm. But to answer your question, you would need a new flash drive or to low level format it, and you would need to load the flash drive from a computer that has a new flashed UEFI and a HDD that was Zeroed out by a program like Darik's boot and nuke or diskpart using the clean all command which does the same but only one zero write instead of multi.

Then once a flash drive has been loaded from a ISO of windows it must be write protected to ensure it's safety. But nobody likes to spend the time to make sure a HDD is truly clean and they do it the lazy way and only allow a format.

16. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    If I'm not mistaken, there's no thread that states - Custom setting at install ask twice, I believe these post about the problem have been posted inside other threads like the build threads, or the thread would be a easy searchable find.

17. 90

90 MDL Member

Aug 21, 2015
    I thought a secure erase of a SSD drive obliterates everything on it? I am reluctant to write zeros to a SSD because it can wear out the SSD unnecessarily and will not reach the swappable reserve areas unseen by the OS (was told there is a space of around 10% that writing zeros will not reach on SSDs)

Why write protect a SSD, I never hear of anyone doing this.

Are you guessing at what fixes the customized settings twice problem, or is your solution found in the other build thread to fix the problem?

I am having trouble finding TH1 build for Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB, how can I get it if it does not have the problem?

18. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    #19 odiebugs1, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    I didn't see you say SSD after 2nd post so I assumed it was a HDD. No you never zero a SSD, it must be secure erased using it's firmware.

I meant a USB flash drive, like the one you said was plugged into your machine. It's to only way to make sure that the windows install is not corrupted.

I said there is no fix.

Sorry, I assumed you had a HDD and not a SSD, if you have a SE tool from the MFG or can use a third party tool, yes the SE will truly clean the SSD and nothing is left and no need to worry about malware.

[h=1]Microsoft Windows 10 EnterpriseS LTSB 10240.16412 is considered TH 1[/h]

19. Pointy

Pointy MDL Junior Member

May 11, 2015
    i ve had the same problem. it makes you do it twice. its nothing to do with format issues or viruses or even what version of windows 10 your installing (i can confirm because i have installed pro home and enterprise). its just a minor bug with windows installation iso i think. dont worry about it.