Windows 10 not activated

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ZZkirk, Aug 12, 2015.

1. ZZkirk

ZZkirk MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2015
    Hi, I would like to ask another noobish question again.

As of this writing I finished doing a clean install of Windows 10 (followed all instructions)
    What worries me now is the laptop says it's not activated after the clean install.

Do I have to wait for some time before it magically activates, or did I do something wrong?
    Help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks and more power!

2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Did you try to upgrade via a path that wasn't matched by your OEM key?
    We've had reports of people with win8 core keys not being able to use win10pro upgrade path.

3. ZZkirk

ZZkirk MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2015
    I did a clean Windows 7 Ultimate install, used Daz loader, and updated to latest updates.
    I upgraded first (I checked online activation after, and was "Activated") before doing a clean install of Windows 10.
    I'm really baffled by this; does this mean I have to do the whole process again :(

4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    looks like you followed the right path. Main thing was the upgrade was activated before the clean install. Id let it go a while, after a few reboots maybe it will wake up.

You can also get a formatted system and do a clean install from within Windows 10, "reset this pc". That should keep activation as well.

5. jeff69dini

jeff69dini MDL Expert

Nov 22, 2008

I tried upgrade, said it was activated, then clean install said nope, not even after several days, I got fed the **** up, now use a kms tool, lol, enough of that crap going on

someone mentioned that maybe a "custom" iso can create problems, like one with apps stripped out or something, I dunno really

6. ZZkirk

ZZkirk MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2015
    So I have, like 25 days of hoping that the laptop would be activated :(
    If after 25 days, the laptop still isn't activated, what other options (aside from going back to square 1) do I have? :(

7. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    dunno, other than losing your legit free upgrade to a KMS solution or square 1 and "reset this pc" might be the best option.

8. ultimate_live

ultimate_live MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2011
    I upgraded from windows 8.1 (legit key) to windows 10. Everything ok.
    I checked my key with "Produkey" and it still shows me my Windows 8.1 key.
    But when I use Windows Power Shell, it shows me another key, maybe windows 10...
    Can I use this key shown in Windows Power Shell to make a clean install in a brand new SSD newer used before, or must I install Windows 8.1 first and then install Windows 10?

9. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010

windows 10 needs no key, changing your HDD shouldn't matter (motherboard would). Just Install clean, skip key and it should activate.

Note:
    SO LONG AS YOU ALREADY DID AN INITIAL UPGRADE AND SUCCESSFUL ACTIVATION OF 10.

10. zaragon

zaragon MDL Novice

Jun 3, 2011
    @ZZkirk

I did a clean Windows 7 Ultimate install

I dont think that this is the correct upgrade path ( win7 home+ Pro to win 10)

install win 7 home or pro ,and retry win10 or try windows 10 pro

check out M$ web site for win10 requirements

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Sometimes it simply requires an additional reboot to get it activated...also a slmgr.vbs -ato ran as admin (CMD) can push it...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. 10aout

10aout MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2015
    Could it possible that Daz loader has been counted within the "hardware ID" (since AFAICT it modified the ACPI tables) when you did upgrade; then when you install clean afterwards, I am guessing you removed the loader :D and this could cause a mismatch in the computed hardware id...

Just a thought, I did not test my idea.
    The OP could perhaps try to activate with Daz loader in place (not even sure it is possible with Win10's bootmgr) to check.

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    This would mean this way only works when using the same partitions (without to delete the original partitions)..and also without GPT...in order the loader can survive...some reported a BIOS update deactivated w10 some said it survives...

Somebody who has successfully done this way could post details...:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. TGNT

TGNT MDL Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Just google the MAK key ending with -XW3GY, and active by phone, it should work.

15. darkrats

darkrats MDL Junior Member

Dec 16, 2012
    I'm not interested in activating Windows 10 at this time, but I would like to try it out.
    How long can you use it without having to activate it? Are any functions restricted or missing until you do activate it?
    As long as it doesn't eventually damage my hardware, playing around with it for a week or so would be okay.

16. beamslider

beamslider MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Don't know what all the issues with unactivated are but you can't use personalization without activation

17. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    This steps most are using for the upgrade are
    Install Win7, install loader and get Win7 activated (get validated too for good measure), stay connected to the internet. Initiate the upgrade to Windows 10 with the setup.exe in the iso/usb/dvd. Still connected to the internet, the upgrade is complete, Loader is already gone and 10 goes online to get activated.

From there, I am not entirely sure what the activation is failing for clean installs for some, but not everyone. Sometimes not everyone gives complete and honest info, so it makes it hard to tell what exactly they "did" or "didn't" do. BUT, for what its worth, I have managed to get a clean install after all the above in 2 ways and both were activated fine.

1) I booted to Win10 bootable media in USB and installed the system clean. Clean, by entirely removing the partitions to unallocated space, and allowing Win10 to create the new HDD structure. Initially it was MBR with win7 for the win10 upgrade, but now Ive booted to UEFI with the USB and Win10 creates the UEFI/GPT structure and then installs itself. Get into windows, already activated.

2) After the upgrade I tested the "Reset this PC" from within Win10 and let it wipe the C:System drive (boy Ive said this a lot lately lol) and after it finishes, Win10 is activated. This is a shorter time than the bootable clean, and also does not change MBR to GPT, it keeps the HDD structure the same.

I have had successful activation - repeatedly - with both of these.

18. Y314K

Y314K MDL Junior Member

May 25, 2014
    Do you think one can still leave manufacturers Windows 8.1 recovery partitions as a backup in case one decides to go legit within the year of free upgrades ? (On a Home system it would be the only way to upgrade to Pro to test Pro out)

19. darkrats

darkrats MDL Junior Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks for the link to the Personalization utility.
    Always nice to see these workarounds for Windows.