Windows 10 not keeping Synaptics Touch pad settings....

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Nicholas440, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Nicholas440

Nicholas440 MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2008
    I installed Windows 10 about a week ago, and I have a HP ENVY DV7 laptop. I'm using a Synaptics touchpad driver, which I always did when it was Windows 8.1 but for some reason, every time I restart I lose the Edge Scrolling feature of my touchpad, I have to bring up the Synaptic driver settings and put a checkmark on " Scrolling" each time because it' disappears every time I reboot the machine.

It always held all settings with Windows 8.1 so I'm wondering is there anything I can do to get Windows 10 to keep the settings I set up. I tried Compatibility mode and that didn't do anything it still loses the Touchpad setting. The Synaptic driver I have is 16x.x... by Synaptics ... its the one that came with the laptop.

Thank you all for any suggestions I appreciate any help and I read all the posts here regularly as often as I can to learn some tips on tweaking this new OS.

2. deepak2001

deepak2001 MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2012
    Yes the same is happening with me on 2 different laptops with different Synaptics hardware

3. dudedroid

dudedroid MDL Junior Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Open up regedit.exe

Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTP\Install

Note this is LOCAL MACHINE, not CURRENT USER.

Look for a key in that Install folder called DeleteUserSettingsOnUpgrade

Double click and change the value to 0

Now go back to the Synaptics control panel, set everything how you like, and reboot. See if it holds. It is holding on mine, still have to test on another computer.

4. spkleader

spkleader MDL Senior Member

Oct 13, 2009
    #4 spkleader, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
    I have one problem with my Synaptics touch on an hp netbook as well.. it does have an led indicator that changes from white to orange when the touchpad is disabled. In Windows 10, the led always stays orange and the touchpad is enabled. Any fix? :weep:

Edit: MS is spying on us! One day after my post, boom! There was a update that fixed my issue! :D

5. jupp

jupp MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2009
    Had problems with Synaptics as well and removed this. It makes touchpad and mouse choppier and usage unpleasant. Basically this driver and software are not needed at all. Windows own default one works much better.

6. Nicholas440

Nicholas440 MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2008
    Thank you very much... So far it's working and I rebooted about 5 times and did a cold power on and it's holding the setting just fine...thank you...