Windows 10 not using HW resources fully --> hickups

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by flexy75, Feb 10, 2018.

1. flexy75

flexy75 MDL Novice

May 7, 2010
    #1 flexy75, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Usage scenario: Playing a game (WoT, that can't use more than 2 cores) and having browser with couple of dozen of tabs open, where one is playing music via youtube.

Before HW upgrade I had G3258 as cpu (overclocked to ~4GHz (stable)), 16GB of RAM, GTX960, old SSD, 2 displays, Win7. And it just worked. Game ran OK, music from youtube played OK at the same time with no hickups.

After HW upgrade, i7 7820X (not OC'd), 32GB of RAM, GTX1080Ti, new much faster and bigger SSD, 2 displays, Win10. And the hickups started immediately. Music pauses/freezes every now and then, especially when the game is loading something... I can see from the other display that its the browser thats rebuffering the stream, and the video lags even before the sound starts to freeze. That circular thing that goes round and round comes over the video that has stopped for a second or two. CPU usage is minimal, there is resources to use, like 5-6 cores doing nothing...

I know that everything is changed. HW is totally new, but much much faster. OS has changed and I would like to blame it... This is annoying as hell. Any ideas?

2. THEBOSS619

THEBOSS619 MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2017
    Did you try to disable HPET?

If you don't know about it.. I suggest to read this link before messing with anything :)

http*://forums.anandtech.com/threads/do-you-have-hpet-enabled-or-disabled.2362109/

Remove the (*) :)

I experienced this kind of symptoms when I was having a Haswell i7 4th Gen CPU now is [R.I.P.] so... I got a skylake ones :)

3. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Check Settings if all Apps are running at the background without being displayed at Task Manager and disable them.

4. flexy75

flexy75 MDL Novice

May 7, 2010
    Can't find anything in BIOS that mentions HPET.

5. flexy75

flexy75 MDL Novice

May 7, 2010
    Disable stuff from running in the background? Nope, I have the browser in background when I play WoT. And it stays there. The hardware is more than capable of running all that I have running. Read my first post again. The hardware is not used, but the software acts like there is no resources to use. The game uses 2 cores. I have 6 more to run the browser. And the browser does not get attention from task scheduler, or something.

6. stefanl

stefanl MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2015
    High latency issues with Nividia graphics card.

7. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    #7 Hadron-Curious, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Did I mention browser? I am talking about Windows apps which are usually running at the background enabled by default at the Settings and can sometimes run many other services thereby putting pressure on resources when trying to run high-demanding games. It cam easily slow down games using GPU while you are only looking at the CPU.

NB: You might want to check if there is recent update for the graphics driver and the Chipset.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Even if the MB is new, you may need to upgrade the BIOS to the latest available version, compare the running BIOS version with the latest available.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. flexy75

flexy75 MDL Novice

May 7, 2010
    The game runs fine when the browser is not running fine. I have tried latencymon application which shows no problems. I've had GPU-Z running in sensors page in the side, showing maximum values and it too clearly shows that there is resources to use. And the circular "buffering" symbol in youtube clearly tells me that browser is working on loading data to play the video.

10. flexy75

flexy75 MDL Novice

May 7, 2010
    Then you might want to explain a little better from where to look for those apps. I've gone thru Settings -> Apps. Cant find "many other services". And I would like to remind that this usage scenario worked on the old HW with windows7 installed many years ago. Now on new install of Win10 and multiple times more resources this just does not work as it should.

Ofcourse I have updated everything.

11. flexy75

flexy75 MDL Novice

May 7, 2010
    Everything is updated.

12. flexy75

flexy75 MDL Novice

May 7, 2010
    What I forgot to mention in the first post. I've noticed that BIOS setting which forces every core at the same frequency/multiplier helps a little. First I had it in more power saver friendly setting, but noticed that it helps a bit to force all cores to same multiplier. It also suggest to me that the problem might be task scheduler related (in linux you can choose task scheduler from a couple of choices, to accomodate your usage scenario).