Windows 10 on a Netbook PC

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by dasag, Sep 15, 2015.

1. dasag

dasag MDL Junior Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Remember Netbooks.?

Small low powered computers usually powered by an Atom Processor.

I have a Samsung NC10 which has been in the drawer unused for about 4 years with Windows 7 installed. Really sluggish.

I would like to install windows 10. Has anyone tried installing windows 10 on a netbook.?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Just try Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 32bit! That one should be working! You could activate using the MTK 2.6!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    #3 DavidinCT, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015

I have a HP netbook that I was tempted to install Windows 10 on. It's only got 2gb of memory in mine. I upgraded it to a cheap used 80gb SSD that I picked up on ebay for like $22 (used). The SSD made a WORLD of difference on this Netbook, I was shocked on how much more usable it is.

With that being said, I have heard other stories from people who have attempted it in the preview program and stated that it ran faster than WIndows 7. So I am tempted but, I use a techstream program on it to check codes on my Lexus when they come up. I need to find out if it's compatable. As I have other devices (tablet, laptop etc), it's almost the only thing I use it for.

If your going to attempt it, I would only try x86 on it. Although x64 runs pretty good, it requires more memory and these netbooks dont handle that very well.

My suggestion, find a program like acronis that can do a clone of the HD in the system(to a USB drive or something), make a clone of it, Try to do the upgrade and live with it for a few days, if it works out ok, then blow away the Windows.old folder and your backup. If it does not work out good, try to restore your old OS, if that fails, restore from your backup.

4. sps

sps MDL Member

Feb 6, 2008
    #4 sps, Sep 15, 2015
    I have an old sony vaio netbook, atom+2gb ram+ssd, installed win10 pro 32bit, it works ok, sort of...
    The problem is windows defender, when running it chokes the cpu with 100% usage, maybe i have to try some tweak to disable defender...

Edit: I forgot to mention I tried x64 (Atom N450 - 64bit capable) before and the netbook was like unusable...
    Also just tried to disable windows defender using OOSHUTUP10 and the machine seems a bit more responsive, most like it was when running the original Win7 32bit, however now with no AV enable.

5. WildByDesign

WildByDesign MDL Addicted

Sep 8, 2013
    I've been testing and using Windows 10 on netbooks quite a bit. They seem to run much smoother and perform better compared to Windows 7, for example. They had anticipated reaching out to lower powered devices with Windows 10 and I would say that it's quite efficient at utilizing the hardware. I would say "Go for it!", especially since that netbook has just been collecting dust in a drawer lately.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. dasag

dasag MDL Junior Member

Mar 9, 2014
    any issues with drivers.? (particularly display drivers).

7. dasag

dasag MDL Junior Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Thank you all for your help.

I will try loading (upgrading) to windows 10 tomorrow and report on how it goes..

The present operating system is windows 7 pro.. activated with Daz loader so who knows.. maybe I will end up with windows 10 pro activated.!!

When I first got it I loved that Netbook. It is the perfect size 10 inch for portability and so much nicer to use than a tablet.

However, as time went on it got slower and slower and almost unusable for everyday computing.

Hopefully windows 10 will give it a new lease of life.

8. Gfnn

Gfnn MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2012
    #8 Gfnn, Sep 15, 2015
    I've upgraded my netbook (Atom N550, 2 GB DDR3, 120 GB SSD) from 7 Starter to 10 Home, and now it works faster.
    It is still much slower than my desktop and notebook PCs , but at least it's usable. With 7, it wasn't.

On my Samsung N150 I had to install older drivers and make some registry changes to make display brightness controls work.

9. dasag

dasag MDL Junior Member

Mar 9, 2014
    ''usable'' is way good enough for me.

chrome + office 2007 (word and excel) + potplayer.. is all i ever need.

10. shawnmos

shawnmos MDL Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Have it running on an old MSI Wind netbook from 2008. Works better than 7 did.

11. rpo

rpo MDL Expert

Jan 3, 2010
    I have a Sony VAIO (Atom N280 processor, 1 GB Ram, 160 GB hard disk). It was delivered with Windows XP Home. I installed W8 Pro (clean install mandatory), and upgraded to W8.1 Pro and finally to Windows 10 Pro. The graphic card is a Intel GMA 950. The installation process updated the drivers (graphics, Ethernet, WiFi, Bluetooth, Synaptics touch pad). The only issue was the "Motion Eye" camera, but using the compatible Windows driver (instead of the original Ricoh driver corrected the problem (same issue with W8). As said on a previous post, Defender is penalizing.

12. WildByDesign

WildByDesign MDL Addicted

Sep 8, 2013
    No issues with drivers. Acer updated drivers for many models. Although the Windows 10 drivers through Windows Update have been flawless as well. So whether I go directly with manufacturer drivers or rely on built in Windows 10 drivers, it's smooth sailing either way. Any hardware/device drivers not built in will most likely come through Windows Update automatically within 10 minutes or so.

13. GHeimnis

GHeimnis MDL Member

Jun 18, 2011
    I've upgraded a friend's netbook (ASUS ACER 10'' 'anything' with a 4-core Atom, 1 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD) from 7 Starter (with really a lot of useless ASUS ACER prog's!!!) to 10 Home:

• Upgrade runs fine
    • all drivers were found and installed
    • Office 2010 Starter works very well ( * see note)
    • integrated camera works with Win 10 Camera-App and Live Essentials
    • and plays all my music ;-)

It runs smoother with Win 10 as with Win 7 Starter but I have to do a RAM-Upgrade to 2 GB (perhaps with an new x64 installation)

So in fact / my opinion: 'All' netbook components (chipset, graphics, sound etc.) from the different OEM's or System Builder are some years old but stable, so it should be possible to run the upgrade without any problems

* Note: Office 2010 Starter have to be installed before the upgrade - an installation after the upgrade process isn't possible!!!

14. Gfnn

Gfnn MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2012
    If you install a 64-bit OS on an old Atom CPU, you will kill its already poor performance, even if the processor officially supports x64.
    I've already tried Windows 10 x64 on my netbook (which has 2 GB of RAM) and it's MUCH slower than x86 version, unusable. I suggest you to keep using 32-bit version.

By the way, most probably your friend's netbook has just a dual core CPU with Hyper-Threading. Real quad core Atoms are newer if I am not mistaken.

15. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I was recently given an Acer Aspire One Netbook KAV50. I put Windows 10 Pro 10240 on it from scratch, and it works very well. I upgraded the RAM to 2 GB. This really is critical as it doesn't work well with just 1 GB. Everything is running great![h=1][/h]

16. jack102

jack102 MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2016
    #16 jack102, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    I have Acer Aspire One Cloudbook on Windows 10. It’s good enough for office.
    Firstly, I'd found it on bestadvisor.com, they wrote nice about it. I can say that the PC is practical and "fine and dandy". In any case, expect a touch of falter when stacking most films, and a touch of slack while doing a multi-tabbed scanning. Sometimes when I've had my espresso I can advance a word beyond or so in some content boxes. The construct quality is very useful at the cost. Feels dainty, yet durable, yet light and the console is fine by all accounts. At some points, I do press however not get my spacebar, despite everything I incline toward mouse catches to the touchpad. The screen is fine and I'm happy it's not one pixel more.. to save execution.

The highlights: battery life. It keeps going extremely well through a large portion of a day for most errands and I do run it down yet don't feel like I'm compelled to do as such all the time.

The terrible: obliged CPU and absence of genuine fast SSD make Windows less safe, when talking envelopes of photographs, a few web tabs with media, and so on. Likewise, you will be constrained to uninstall vigorously after getting. McAffee is a WHALE of a procedure.. while initiating Windows Defender is a free essential and significantly less requesting answer for fundamental web security. At in the first place, the machine was VERY laggy with McAffee and a couple different bloatwares, and foundation overhauls. When this quieted down and was erased, it performed much better. I incapacitated everything except basic windows redesigns and as much foundation clamor as I could to get the satisfactory execution. Additionally, (and this appears to have settled itself).. there was a period where I'd abandon it on and return to a lethargic PC with a clear screen, that wouldn't wake up. This was a genuine annoyance in light of the fact that the machine is genuinely ease back in booting to Windows. I changed the lock screen to come up just on crisp boot-ups, and it's no more an issue.

Could be better: an illuminated console would be a truly decent option, and most likely add next to no to the expense

17. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #17 PhaseDoubt, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    I tried on a pair of Asus EeePC 1000H models ... what a mess! Actually just on one, but I finally just gave up and installed Linux Mint 17.3 on both. I would have preferred Windows 10, but there came a point for me where the benefit was just not worth the effort.

18. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    No problems on netbooks. Unless you have one of the less lucky chipset ever the one that comes with the GMA500/GMA600 VGA

19. spidernz

spidernz MDL Senior Member

May 20, 2011
    I've had windows 10 x32 running on asus eee 1001ha for a few months now, installed fined, been running fine as well. Great for browsing, watching movies/tv shows .