Windows 10 Pro with Dual GPU ATi (RX480) and nVidia (GTX1060) with Z270... how to?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by sev7en, Feb 10, 2017.

1. sev7en

sev7en MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2010
    Dears, good afternoon,
    I have a ASUS Maximus Formula IX with K7700 CPU and 2 GPU: an ATi RX480 (now live) and a GTX1060.
    I would like to use CUDA for calculation installing the second GPU but despite the system boot up with no issue, as soon completed the Windows' logon, Windows crash with the blue screen.

There is any way to use them at the same moment?

Thanks!

2. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I don't think you can use both dedicated GPUs at the same. Perhaps somebody with good understanding of dedicated GPU can answer you here.

3. glennsamuel32

glennsamuel32 MDL Senior Member

Jul 15, 2012

PsysX runs on only nVidia gpus (there's a hack that allows AMD but that's upto you to test)
    The moment you add a second GPU, the PCI lanes on your board switch to 8 lanes (from x16 to x8)
    These motherboards are built to unleash the latest offerings gpus have...
    To mix and match different technologies and older cards isn't advised...
    The older Asus boards supported AMD and nVidia simultaneously...you'll have to check for your board...

My advise is go with nVidia, get the PsysX support and make use of 16 PCI lanes...

4. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. sev7en

sev7en MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2010
    Good morning,
    as first thanks to all... it is really the community I have to be (and... I deserved to be).

I would like to keep both but to use the ATi's one as primary and rendering/output card, the nVidia as secondary just to handle the task I need to process in background on-demand. They don't need to collaborate together, just to stay together and work when required on different tasks/process.

In the BIOS I see only the option to select internal or discrete GPU but the system recognize correctly both. I have to try to boot it up with Linux or other OS.

6. david_xross_2

david_xross_2 MDL Senior Member

Aug 31, 2012
    You may try booting in safe mode and see if both cards get detected and try disabling one card and then booting normally just to check whether the BSOD was caused by two different discrete GPUs. My two cents.

D

7. sev7en

sev7en MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2010
    Dear good morning,
    I tried with linux and it boot up correctly...

8. maddog0266

maddog0266 MDL Expert

Apr 26, 2011
    Yes you can.
    I have used a R7-290 and a GTX750Ti at the same time to display on 5 monitors. 3 on the GTX 750Ti and 2 on the R7-290.
    What I had to do is install the GTX 750Ti in the PCIe slot closes to the CPU then boot the system, install the latest drivers from Nvidia.
    Then shut down, install the R7-290 in the next PCIe slot (Black one on my motherboard). Restart the system, once in Windows install the latest drivers from AMD.
    Shut down once again and restart. Then configure the monitors at I wanted them. I was using the GTX 750Ti with 2-27inch HP and a 19inch HP for web browsing, Kodi and email.
    The R7-290 had 2-27inch HP, one to play games on and the other for security Cam's.
    I could play WOW, watch movie on KODI, watch Cam's and email all at one time without any problems.