Windows 10 Questions

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by subterminal, Apr 1, 2018.

1. subterminal

subterminal MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2018
    Howdy, folks!

I have shiny new parts on their way from NewEgg for a long overdue build (last build was 2011). Wooo! Grudgingly, I'll be installing windows 10 for the coffee lake support. However, I've been using windows 7 forever and am unfamiliar with windows 10, so I have a few questions.

First, Ive heard windows 10 is exceptionally notorious for siphoning private data. I know that it's best to find a windows copy with a matching checksum, but was curious if there's a trusted copy of 10 that someone has gone through and gutted out the bloat/spyware.

Second, do I just use a boot loader from this site? I know I can technically install 7 and upgrade, but I'd prefer to start with a fresh install. I saw the sticky thread with all the links, but didn't see much in the way of a step-by-step guide. I could have easily overlooked it though.

Lastly, I saw a ton of links to tools for removing, disabling, tweaking windows 10 but don't know what all they do. Are there any guides for recommended things to do after activating a fresh install?

Thanks for your time! Cheers!

2. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Senior Member

Dec 9, 2011
    1.Homebrew editions are not allowed here.

2.You can use free upgrade from 7 to 10.As long as hardware remains same you will be automatically activated every time you do a fresh install of win 10 on that system in future & connect online.You will get win 10 pro by this method(assuming upgrade from 7 ultimate).

3.Check the sticky thread about telemetry in this forum(win 10 section).