Windows 10 Retail + Enterprise 16299.15 question

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ciscokid, Oct 26, 2017.

1. ciscokid

ciscokid MDL Senior Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Hey guys, I have a question for all the DISM pros.

I downloaded both the x64 and x86 ISO's for the Retail editions and the VL editions. On the VL side, I am mainly interested in Enterprise and Education.

Is it possible to take the Retail x64 ISO and combine the Enterprise and Education x64 versions into one ISO that I can copy to a memory stick? This way I would have all the versions I use on just one stick?

I know DISM can be used for this but I don't remember how to do it. I've done Google searches but haven't found exactly what I need yet. If anyone has links or instructions on how to do this, I would appreciate it.

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Extract the install.wims from both iso's and export the desired indices into one install.wim:
    Code:
    dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:"x:\install.wim" /SourceIndex:y /DestinationImageFile:"z:\install.wim" /Compress:max /checkintegrity

x = source wim
    y = desired index nr
    z = target (or new) wim

3. ciscokid

Jun 3, 2007
    Ok thank you so much, will give it a try tonight.

4. ciscokid

Jun 3, 2007
    Enthousiast, thank you so much for your help. I extracted the Retail x64 ISO to a folder and I was able to add x64 Enterprise and Enterprise N to it so now it has a total of 11 indexes.

Can I add any x86 versions to this? I just want to make sure it will work. If all the indexes have to be the same architecture, that's ok too because now I can make a x86 stick with this procedure.

If I can mix and match x64 and x86 on the same memory stick, that would be excellent.

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    You can add x86 indices to it but you will be forced to use an x86 iso, otherwise it won't boot on x86 systems, better is to create a multi-architecture iso by using the MCT or download the ESD's manually and use @abbodi1406 ESD>ISO tool to convert them to a multi-architecture iso and replace both install.wim or install.esd with the aio you created for both architectures.

6. ciscokid

Jun 3, 2007
    I did exactly that last night. I used the MCT to make an x64-x86 memory card (it creates x64 and x86 folders), then I added the corresponding version of enterprise to each with the DISM command you posted above. I must have done something wrong because when I tested the memory card, the x64 version booted fine under both CSM and UEFI and it showed Enterprise and Enterprise N as options, the x86 version gave me a "winload.efi file missing" error when the memory card started to boot.

Going to investigate more after work tonight. I must have typed something wrong on the command line.

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    You can only boot x86 (U)EFI on very specific x86 hardware, so it's normal that it won't boot on a x64 system without CSM or Legacy BIOS enabled.

8. ciscokid

Jun 3, 2007
    Ok thanks for the info, I really appreciate your help!