Windows 10 - running DOS applications

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by lostpassword, May 18, 2015.

1. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I know some will say what is the point, but I still use a DOS database that holds transactions going back to 1983. It has worked perfectly throughout this time, and I still use it.

Once again I will argue that for simple recording of important financial data or accounting transactions, there has been no significant improvement since then. In 1983 the first DOS spreadsheet - Multiplan literally changed my life. Preparing a Trial Balance and Profit and Loss Account/Balance sheet was hard work on 6 pages of hand written A3 paper. Overnight the spreadsheet changed this, with constant display of the totals and automatic production of the Final Accounts once the Trial Balance agreed.

I therefore wanted to try my database on Windows 10 and kept getting error about NTVDM component missing or not enabled> I checked and NTVDM was enabled by default on my computer. Other people were having problems with DOS Applications running on Windows 10 relating to a message about NTVDM.

Reading through all the posts on the Microsoft Community there was a solution on the last page. In full a copy says:
    First:
    Programs and Features -> Turn Windows Features on or off -> Legacy Components -> Enable NTVDM
    Second:

Open "Command prompt"
    Right click over title "Command prompt" and select "Properties"
    Select "Use legacy console (require relauch)", then "Accept"
    Close and re-open "Command prompt" to test.

The second command worked for me after the essential Restart (I had no need of the first command as NTVDM was enabled by default on my PC.

Everything seems perfect now on v 10074 thank to all the help I have had from others with far more knowledge than me. I have re-installed about 10 times to correct errors and get rid of any messages following a re-install.The only thing that gives me a clean start is KILLDISK first. I had to use Paragon Partition Manager and Wipe Disk to get rid of strange small partitions that probably related to earlier uses,Win 7 and 8.

2. lucidus

lucidus MDL Member

Mar 18, 2015
    My dad uses a Foxpro based program for some accounting work. Will the 64bit version of Windows support it or will he have to use 32bit? I have 32bit Windows 7 installed on his laptop because of this.

3. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Cannot say about 64 bit version, as I only use the 32 bit version. Have never used 64 bit versions of any version. I do not use games or video editing on my computers. For me the 32 bit version with 4 gig RAM has always been enough. Try the above commands if Foxpro not working, will not do any damage. I remember FOXPRO - 4GL, but came in much later than the start of DOS. It was state of the art, along with 30 meg hard drives in 1994 when it first came out.

4. shawnmos

shawnmos MDL Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Would DosBox work?

5. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    vm with dos and windows 3.1, problem solved

6. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Not sure about DOSBOX and Win10, but in the past on Win 7 I never seemed to get a good screen display up, running my old software under DOSBOX. To my amazement my old database ran perfectly on Win 8.1, and with the above command applied to the DOS Screen it works perfectly so far on 10. I am getting to like 10 in spite of my age, but without the help of MDL Members it would be impossible to make such progress.