Windows 10 size keeps getting bigger, Bigger, and BIGGER after updates!!!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MonarchX, Aug 14, 2015.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    #1 MonarchX, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    When it comes to Windows, I always thought I could always find downloaded updates in Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder and delete them, then run "DISM /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase" and maintain Windows folder size. That, however, does not happen. Windows partition keeps getting bigger and bigger, specially after updates. I am not talking about my browser's cache or cookies because partition space gets lost by 1GB or so after each major update, even after I remove all SoftwareDistribution
    \Download folder files, Prefetch folders files, and run "DISM /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase" . Just to make sure all is OK, I also run "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" and "SFC /ScanNow" and Chkdsk. I verify that my page-file and hibernation files stay the same size and they do stay the same size. I use CCleaner with CCEnahncer, which most definitely gets rid of ALL temp files. Drive's "Disk Cleanup" and "Cleanup System Files" do not show any files or folders that take up more than 10MB of space...

I think this MAY BE from MS Office 2013 updates, which can also be massive! I assume they also get downloaded into SoftwareDistrubtion\Download folder, which as I stated, I clean up good. I also remove MSOCache hidden folder from drive C. Are there any other places where MS Office 2013 updates may be hiding?

What else could this be? Unfortunately, I have not monitored whether it is Windows folder on C drive that gets bigger or some other folder, but one way or another - updating Windows 10 and MS Office 2013 results in lose partition space, even after removing update files from SoftwareDistribution\Download folder, deleting MSOCache folder, and running ResetBase...

Any ideas why and how to get my precious space back???

2. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Office updates resides in C:\Windows\Installer
    if you remove any, you won't be able to uninstall the update/patch

and i suspect the old/replaced office update will still in that folder unless you clean them manually somehow

so, Windows 10 has nothing to do with the problem

3. coromonadalix

coromonadalix MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    #3 coromonadalix, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    For windows, the WINSXS folder is a nightmare, check the qty of files and the sheer size of this folder .... you'll

understand.

My windows 8.1 right now is 8.65 gigs with 85,949 files ..... still growing.

Not checked on my win10 ...

4. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    So you're saying that if I remove any Office 2013 update files from Windows\Installer folder, then I won't be able to update MS Office 2013 any further??? I don't care for uninstalling any updates, just like I don't care for uninstalling Windows updates. Which exact files and folders are the Office 2013 updates ones? Which ones can I remove?

5. mehargags

mehargags MDL Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Never Knew this :p
    Deleted around 13GB from my PC now... thanks a ton @abbodi1406

6. apvm

apvm MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2010
    Don't have that installer folder even I enabled to show hidden files.

7. vacaloca

vacaloca MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2008
    This might not be a great idea. For example, some software packages re-reference *.msi files in this directory for application first run configuration as a different user. Also, some programs call MSI files in that directory as part of their uninstall routine. Just wanted to point those things out...

If it's taking up a lot of space, simply back up the files to an external/USB drive, especially if you plan to uninstall or run apps under a different user name that has not run them yet.

For that matter, the MSOCache folder has similar implications for Office installations. If you try to add/remove specific office features and the files are not there, it won't work.

8. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    You need to enable "Show Protected OS Files" or something like that. It is there.

9. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Many programs require to have those files JUST so you can launch them... I usually clean up my system as much as possible, but even I won't touch those files...

10. totouan

totouan MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2009
    #10 totouan, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Office backup files (and Adobe and others too) are inside folder:
    C:\WINDOWS\Installer\$PatchCache$
    it's safe to delete it
    Code:
    rmdir /q /s %WINDIR%\Installer\$PatchCache$
    this command leave safe msi files

11. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
    Great tip.
    I picked up 4GB after deleting all the files.
    I'll monitor things for a while to see if there are any adverse effects.
    If something shows up, I can always restore them from a backup image.

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The folder %windir%\Installer exist in Windows 10 but Windows 8.1 Pro! Evewn with Protected Operating System Files enabled, in Windows 8.1 that folder Installer didn't exist! In Windows 10 just Hiden Files and Folders need to be enabled to see that folder!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. MDL_2015

MDL_2015 MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2015
    I combine it with Wise Care 365, and the result is fantastic.

14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    It doesn't exist unless you install .msi packages
    even if it exist in W10, it will be empty

and what this has anything to do with the thread subject?

16. mehargags

mehargags MDL Member

Dec 1, 2008
    #18 mehargags, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Ahh I guess I showed a little haste in deleting those files. Though haven't notice any other problems till now, but all my office Icons have gone blank. Word/Excel/outlook etc all show white blank icon. I guess it is because it deletes/corrupts IconDB.

Anyways to restore the icons ? As far as I can see, only Office icons are missing.

That said, if I am Sysprep'ing an image, getting rid of these files can be a significant size reduction. Will your command be "safe" to have junk removed without breaking any functionality ?

Thanks alot

17. mehargags

mehargags MDL Member

Dec 1, 2008
    I made some progress Myself... feel like I've probably fixed the issue. The Icons are back and uninstall options in Control Panel also working for apps.

What I did was restore my deleted C:\Windows\Installer folder from a shadow copy using "Shadow Explorer Portable-0.9". Seems like a very good File Recovery app.

Then I also read alot and belived the folder is too bloated and can be successfuly slimmed down in a smarter way. After reading alot, I used "Windows.Update.Clean.Tool.v8.19" portable and it deleted more than 7.5 GB from the C:\Windows\Installer folder and after a reboot all Icons were fixed!

I just ran a Windows update as I type this and it showed up new updates available in just a few minutes.

I'm still keeping backup of the full C:\Windows\Installer I recovered from the shadow, will hold it for a week just incase I find something messy!

Thanks again for all pointers and suggestions... just wanted to document I experience and Resolution of problems for others to be able to use the fixes.

I am on windows 8.1 Pro x64 with Office 2013 x64