Windows 10 - some apps, event viewer and task manager - not responding

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by sew333, Mar 31, 2016.

1. sew333

sew333 MDL Junior Member

Mar 5, 2016
    Hi. I had fresh clean install of Windows 10 Pro in MBR scheme . I want to know what caused this.
    Task manager and event viewer was not responding and some of the applications was not responding too. I was clicking and nothing happening. It was related to hardware or software? Disk was formatted due to MBR partition.

My disk is Samsung Evo 250 GB , and 2x8gb Kingston Hyperx 1600mhz.

Smart on disk is fine, GOOD status in Samsung MAgician and no errors in HD TUNE. Memtest86 not showing errors.

After format to GPT and install again Windows 10 all is fine and working properly. Just want to know what caused issue before format. Thx. It was related to windows/software or hardware?

I made topic because some peoples told me that corrupt data , can be caused by faulty memory(( What is yours opinions? But like i said i test memtest86, Windows Diagnostics Memory and hdtune showing no errors. Maybe try GoldMemory or that will be waste of time?

2. bpwnes

bpwnes MDL Member

Aug 11, 2015
    I agree with the assessment of corrupt data. It sounds like Windows just didn't install correctly.

It could be caused by faulty memory or an unstable overclock. There is no real way to thoroughly test RAM other than letting memtest86+ run for as long as possible. If you really want to be sure, let it run something like 14 passes (which will probably take over a day to run). I've never used GoldMemory, so I can't speak to that.

3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    or chipset works better in efi mode.

4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I can recall back in the daze of Windows 98, sometimes a clean install would just be buggy for no apparent reason

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. sew333

sew333 MDL Junior Member

Mar 5, 2016
    #5 sew333, Apr 1, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    (OP)
    I run memtest86 for 30 hours and no errors.

Ah and i forget. Almost everytime when i was clicking run 3dmark11.exe test, my system become unresponsible and laggish. I cant do almost everything. I cant restart system because START button stop working.
    Opening some file taking 10 second. I must force hard reset to work properly again system. Almost everytime
    when i was clicking run test in 3dmark 11 causing this issue. After long wait i was ablee to check usage of cpu ,ram and disk, and was 0%.
    So where was the problem? Software , my disk or ram?

But after format is ok.

Somebody said to me this:"had a crucial SSD once do this,
    randomly says files are corrupted, and for example, fails to load user profile, and slow down when reading some files, and then later they work fine."

What you think that issue was related to my ssd? Or not ?

6. bpwnes

bpwnes MDL Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Installing an OS on a bad hard drive can cause corruption. There might actually be a firmware update for the SSD so check for that. The new firmwares generally are for performance fixes, but maybe it resolves some issue so it's worth trying.

7. sew333

sew333 MDL Junior Member

Mar 5, 2016
    Yes but how can i be sure that my SSD is faulty? All smarts programs telling that ssd is fine and no errors.
    And after format with GPT is fine now. How can i be sure that ssd is faulty then?

8. bpwnes

bpwnes MDL Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Well if it is working fine now and continues to work fine then it probably isn't faulty. I have run across some spinning disk drives with faulty drive caches. They don't always cause SMART errors, but they act inconsistent with regards to booting the OS and generally cause problems.

If your drive is faulty, then the difficult thing would be proving it to the manufacturer for an RMA. They might have a diagnostic tool you'd have to use to test it and show it's bad for them to accept it.

9. sew333

sew333 MDL Junior Member

Mar 5, 2016
    But somebody said to me this: "One of GPT's features is better reliability for its partition info: "On an MBR disk, the partitioning and boot data is stored in one place. If this data is overwritten or corrupted, you’re in trouble. In contrast, GPT stores multiple copies of this data across the disk, so it’s much more robust and can recover if the data is correupted. GPT also stores cyclic redundancy check (CRC) values to check that its data is intact — if the data is corrupted, GPT can notice the problem and attempt to recover the damaged data from another location on the disk. MBR had no way of knowing if its data was corrupted — you’d only see there was a problem when the boot process failed or your drive’s partitions vanished.
    If your Samsung Evo 250 GB drives need refreshing or formatting that often, it's time for new SSDs that don't have that problem.

" "

So maybe it is something with my SSD if it get corrupted on MBR partition and needs refreshing? Like i said on GPT partition all is fine.

This:" — if the data is corrupted, GPT can notice the problem and attempt to recover the damaged data from another location on the disk. MBR had no way of knowing if its data was corrupted "

10. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    drive firmware checked ?

11. bpwnes

bpwnes MDL Member

Aug 11, 2015
    This. Install Samsung Magician and see if it has a firmware update.