Windows 10 - Start Menu and Search box doesn't work!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by spkleader, Aug 3, 2015.

1. spkleader

spkleader MDL Senior Member

Oct 13, 2009
    #1 spkleader, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    Howdy everyone... here's what's happening

Brand new mobo, AMD C-60 based, installed Windows 7, connected online, activated with Daz loader, it passed the wga online check and then upgraded to Windows 10.
    Formatted the hdd, did a clean Windows 10 install and so far so good... installed all hardware, drivers, programs, windows updates, everything smooth.
    Then, all suddenly, start menu doesn't appear anymore and search box doesn't take any input.

There's any fix for this?
    Note, the start menu icon changes to blue when I move my mouse over it, and right clicking it shows the old windows 8 start menu.

Thanks in advance!

*Edit* - Running "Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth command to see if it fixes this problem.

*Edit 2* - No joy... looks like my appdata folder is copied over and over inside itself. Never seen this happen before :O

2. Arnie25

Arnie25 MDL Junior Member

Jul 8, 2015
    I would start again with a clean install.

3. elzna

elzna MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2013
    #3 elzna, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2015
  4. LEXX911

LEXX911 MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    #4 LEXX911, Aug 3, 2015
    Turn back on Windows Search IF you disable it in SERVICES or mess around with the SSD/HDD optimization. If you turn off INDEXED on you C drive you won't be able to search in SETTINGS also. If you didn't change any of that just backup your stuff and RESET your Windows 10 since some upgrade from a Windows 7 could have some conflict.

5. spkleader

Oct 13, 2009
    Arnie25: Thanks... heh
    elzna: It doesn't work on final/retail, but thanks!

Welp, here it goes.. Reinstalled from scratch, Windows appeared as activated without problems... Windows update, all good, moved some files (mostly pictures) and then, I had the great idea to... RENAME the Computer name.
    It asked for a reboot and... There goes the start menu and the search bar.

Here's the tip, DO NOT RENAME YOUR COMPUTER NAME, till there's a fix.

6. spkleader

Oct 13, 2009
    LEXX911: Please read the first post again... It was a clean install, and no, not messing with ssd/hdd.

7. fredpsycho83

fredpsycho83 MDL Junior Member

Feb 4, 2008
    i have the exact same problem, but by modifying 3 reg key and disable some services.
    if i go back to the original setting for those, it works

i couldn't even open the new interface on wifi, volume, and action center, start and search won't open

8. spkleader

Oct 13, 2009
    #8 spkleader, Aug 3, 2015
    (OP)
    Awesome news fredpsycho83.
    knock knock microsoft, where's Service Release 1 again?

Reinstalling Windows 10 from scratch AGAIN, but this time i'll rename the computer prior creating the local group.
    Wish me luck! :)

Renamed the computer using the start menu -> configurations -> about -> Computer name and before creating a local group.

Everything seens to be working fine. All the previous atempts I've used right click start menu -> system -> advanced system settings -> computer name.

*Edit* - The friggin start menu is gone again! - managed to launch windows update using keyboard shortcut (windows + I) and then the search box is working again, but not the start menu nor the message center :/

9. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    What the hell's going on?

• Did a clean Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016 x64.
    • Did NOT test Search in Start Menu.
    • After spending days configuring my system now turns out stupid search feature won't work at all.

10. kosta20071

kosta20071 MDL Addicted

Jan 8, 2012
    Create new Local User, reboot, login to your new Local User and check if every thing fine , if it works , change back to your MS Account from the Local User (Settings->Accounts-> sign with MS account..)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. BDX

BDX MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Make sure that "Let apps run in the background" is enabled.