Windows 10 to Windows 7 Behavior/GUI plus tweaks/registery/configs documentation

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Stewox, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Stewox

Stewox MDL Junior Member

Nov 22, 2013
    Hello

This is an idea for a custom tweaked ISO that I think would definitely save a lot of time during a clean install, I'm not sure how saturated this area is since I'm new around it,

It looks like DX12 is a big deal and eventually I will have to move from Win7 anyway,

That the new OS will be a service based subscription (cloud possibly) that means that if Win10 would be the last OS, It may get more updates and service packs than usual, so nothing in this OP should be set in stone, it may be until windows 10.2 or something that this would be

Because the tweaks are finely tuned, made sure they do not break something else in the process, deeply research, I'm making this thread very early, and I probably don't have all the tweaks documented on my PC even tho most of it I do.

There is just a lot of tweaks, in the hundreds, it's not practical to just "meh just have clean iso then everyone can set how they like" - I really want to cut that time off, it's not that simple, plus, when a new win comes out, it's always until

Also why, the folder settings, the "disable full row select" you have to do this the first second after you install windows, because for this tweak to work you have to delete all the folder userconfigs so all you window positions and windows explorer stuff has to be reset, this is one example when time does matter.

This OP will improve and be edited occasionally for clearer overview as things get, this is just a super early DRAFT.

I'm looking forward for support around here, because I'm not an expert nor have time to make myself a custom ISO, someone might pick this idea up and if it's good enough he might integrate it. Now this may not be so popular around here but I think it may be popular to others outside MDL who would enjoy this particular feel out of the box.

That's where I'm trying to get, so while I continue to use Win7, with all these tweaks done manually,

But majority you guys can discuss separate issues, don't need to be tied to the ISO integration, in a follow up post (in the reserved) i may make a list of things I had or you had (but i didn't knew about) tweaked and on each item it's status wether or not it's possible on stock windows 10 or needs tweak or awaits a programmer to make it happen forcefully.

So to sum it up, this is a documentation thread, but it's subjective, i couldn't indicate that in the title, I'm not going to hide that, It's only focusing on a number of things that targets power users and advanced gamers too (but im not a gamer anymore)

There might be more flavors of this idea if the one that chooses to use this thread as a base for his custom ISO, he might make 3 version each with "all the same + this set to auto" or "all the same + wireless by default".

So it doesn't have to be that strict, I'm just leaning on that, I have wired, so I don't want to do anything with wireless, I don't use mobile-anything except for an old nokia phone, I would disable all services and functions that have anything to do with anything wireles, IR, bluetooth, WWAN autoconfig, etc - I'm also not a fan of anything cloud-based, if windows has something running in background. And power users would definitely use a SSD, so focus on that - sorry, I'm just never going to use a HDD for OS again, so pagefile disabled, and there's about 20 other SSD tweaks I think, with win7 might be less since half of them might already be enabled because of better SSD support (i expect, but you never know)

Also this is intended for control too, any sort of annoying automation disabled.

So, the problem is, if there's enough people like that, since when I move into such specific things, I just hope so.

Here's a preview of the tweak folder I ... just so I can do it as fast (still manually) without having to connect to the web and spend hours searching for every single one of them.

k0KTbJC.jpg

zvg8ST7.jpg

Plus, i haven't seen "Show desktop" button in Win10, or maybe it's dynamic the button border/outline appears when mouse over ?

So why this thread and a custom ISO eventually (best case) - I don't want to go through all that again! Especially because more tweaks ended up being discovered through the 2 year period I have a new install of win7 (new PC since 2013)

The biggest challenge would probably be trying to make Win10 look like Win7, but, that's also the requirement, I will not seriously use Win10 until that mission is complete. So, all tiles nonsense removed completely.

2. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
  3. maya77

maya77 MDL Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Yes, try to not tweak anything and you'll probably discover that you are not missing those tweaks at all.

4. Stewox

Stewox MDL Junior Member

Nov 22, 2013
    #4 Stewox, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    (OP)

Yes that obviously, that's also what this thread is for to document that, but after that, I don't want the GUI to look like that in the long-run. Still, i expect half of the tweaks to carry over definitely, others not sure yet.

I just did a bit of a bubu and when I cleaned my HDDs i made one partition for Linux, i put my data on the other, I didn't make any space for a windows 10 install ... so i'll probably have to move over and well, let me first find out how much space win10 preview or RTM (i just started following) takes on stock install.

Also I will be sluggish and slow with this initially, another heat wave has hit my local area for at least a week, already 2 days into it, and it can get ridicolous without AC, especially where I'm at on the south-western side of the house, worst place to have a room.

EDIT: Damn i forgot to make a "reserved post" ... if this takes off i may need space to make a big list.

5. Stewox

Stewox MDL Junior Member

Nov 22, 2013
    Reserved. Reserved.

6. Stewox

Stewox MDL Junior Member

Nov 22, 2013
    Reserved.Reserved.

7. Stewox

Stewox MDL Junior Member

Nov 22, 2013
  8. zetazeta2

zetazeta2 MDL Novice

Jun 27, 2015
    We need to get the Windows 7 mouse settings, acceleration etc to the W10, i had to revert back to 7 because the default W10 mouse settings were trash in games, aiming was impossible.

9. Stewox

Stewox MDL Junior Member

Nov 22, 2013
  10. Stewox

Stewox MDL Junior Member

Nov 22, 2013
    #10 Stewox, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)