Windows 10 updates may disable counterfeit games and unauthorized hardware? The truth

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by zaphod77, Aug 12, 2015.

1. zaphod77

zaphod77 MDL Junior Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Many internet sites have picked up on this wording, and are trying to tell you that if you are using any microsoft product, updates can disable counterfeit games, and unauthorized hardware.

The sites are all forgetting one important thing.

Windows 10 will be released for XBOX ONE as well.

Counterfeit games refers to burned discs of xbox one games.

Unauthorized hardware means mod chips. They may try to break controllers that can be used for cheating, but again that only applies to CONSOLE. There's no such thing as unauthorized hardware on the PC platform. Period.

So the TOS is saying they are allowed to try to break your modchip with system updates and stop you from using burned console games.

They were already doing this on their consoles. Since all games for xbox one are also digital downloads, pirated software on the hard drive could exist, and it would be deleted.

I will return to this thread after I've spoken with a MS person, but I'm pretty sure this is the explanation. PC pirates have nothing to worry about from this, because it's totally impossible.to reliably detect PC piracy. Even only searching for known cracks will give false positives, and here's why.

1) crack on PC, but not actually in use, because the person tried the game through piracy, and then bought it later. this DOES happen.
    2) software is paid for, but stupid "always online" DRM has been stripped out by the owner. I remember a version of Assassin's Creed 2 performed MUCH better with the protection removed, so even buyers cracked it.
    3) software is a GOG.com re-release, which comes pre-cracked. For example prince of persia warrior within had starforce. the GOG.com digital download does not have it. it's pre-cracked. Yes, this means there's NO way to tell if gog software is pirated.

In the immortal words of Douglas Adams,

DON'T PANIC!

2. dangerouseddy

dangerouseddy MDL Junior Member

Sep 17, 2007
    well they could be thinking ahead but there are no counterfeit games or modchips for the xbox one and probably wont be.

3. zaphod77

zaphod77 MDL Junior Member

Nov 6, 2014
    not yet.

but believe me, the pirates will try. this TOS entry gives them the authority to fight back.